Sponge? or something else

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone help with the white stringy things in the middle of my zoa polyps? Maybe a sponge? maybe something else? The frag is glued to my main rock....so if I have to remove it, would love advice about that as well.

Also....the white 'dots' on the rock....assuming sponge as well?

ps...Some Polyps are closed because the tank was just waking up.
zoa white thing.jpg

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It look like a sponge, but I think it's hydroids, Please look closer and check and match with the photos/images on google (from the link), because I got similar to your one and it wasn't sponge and really disturb my zoas and GSP (making that net like on them), if is that, is best to get rid of them ASAP. Is it something coming out of the end of the white tubes, is it looking something stringy / hair like, or feathers ?

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It look like a sponge, but I think it's hydroids, Please look closer and check and match with the photos/images on google (from the link), because I got similar to your one and it wasn't sponge and really disturb my zoas and GSP (making that net like on them), if is that, is best to get rid of them ASAP. Is it something coming out of the end of the white tubes, is it looking something stringy / hair like, or feathers ?
Nothing coming our of them as best I can tell. But if it is hydroids....how do I get ride of them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s poriferan sponge. It can be or become invasive. If it gets out of control, you can trim with a hobby knife or take coral out of water so sponge gets exposed to air and inject with vinegar via syringe

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing coming our of them as best I can tell. But if it is hydroids....how do I get ride of them?
you say the plug is glued to the main LR, then take a chisel or flat screwdriver and put it between the Rock and the Plug, twist a bit and it have to come out.
After take the zoas out and with some tank water in separate container try to take them all bit by bit (every single one) with tweezers. Prepare and magnifier to can observe properly. You have to clear it completely.
But: check just in case is it sponge or no, I don't know any to grow up on the zoas stalk, but I know hydroids do .
Take with tweezers piece of it and make good macro photo :)

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If no one answered on the white spots on your rocks, they’re snail eggs... usually Nerite snails. :)

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no one answered on the white spots on your rocks, they’re snail eggs... usually Nerite snails. :)
usually the snails don't deposit eggs between the polyps, or I never seen something like (if they aren't pest ofc.).

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
usually the snails don't deposit eggs between the polyps, or I never seen something like (if they aren't pest ofc.).
Oh, I was only answering the question about the “white spots on the rock” in the original post. The stuff between the polyps just look like sponges of some sort, but others already answered that. :)

Back