OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange.. I have a couple pieces with bubbles and going on 6 months now.. I have never lost a colony from it as the bubbles come and go… I have about 60 acros in my tank and only a couple show signs of bubbles or weird flesh.
Same thing here no deaths or necrosis of any kind, however bubbling is there as well as very very wierd and adnormal growth

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy to report, that all bubbling has stopped and acro growth is returning to normal. This js what i did. Whether is was one or the other i cant say but it worked.
7 day cipro treatment 1 500 mg pill per 100 nightly
Stopped all Kalkwasser, and returned to using 3 part ballin. Thats it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy to report, that all bubbling has stopped and acro growth is returning to normal. This js what i did. Whether is was one or the other i cant say but it worked.
7 day cipro treatment 1 500 mg pill per 100 nightly
Stopped all Kalkwasser, and returned to using 3 part ballin. Thats it.
That’s awesome! Mine has all stopped and I did nothing but kept the tank stable… not sure what caused it but glad it’s gone! All sticks have taken off finally.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy is having the same problem after starting acro power.. I had it myself and still see 1 coral with it and thought it was all gone ugh.. the majority of mine cleared up with a extra halide I threw on which is way more par than I had before.. weird but it cleared up the majority of my acros that had it.

Side note. I’ve never used acro power..
all for reef
Bacto balance
And now zeo bac, food, start.
I recently bought an Acropora frag that had some bubbling around the base, not much. Bubbles disappeared within a week of being added to my tank. Both systems very similar but it came from a tank that runs heavy blue LED to full spectrum metal halide in my tank.

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this going on with a frag currently
IMG_0984.jpeg
IMG_0983.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought an Acropora frag that had some bubbling around the base, not much. Bubbles disappeared within a week of being added to my tank. Both systems very similar but it came from a tank that runs heavy blue LED to full spectrum metal halide in my tank.
I couldn’t tell ya what it was but I’m glad to report I kept adding acros and it’s gone in my tank and everything is thriving finally!

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dosing kalk and AFR and switched to a regular 2 or 3 part balling. Before all my frags were affected by this , talking about over 50. Since I stopped and switched to a 3 part balling with no kalk , all bubbling stopped. Completely!!! Now all polyps are back to normal, and corals that we’re extremely deformed and bubble are showing 100% recovery.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I understand it, kalkwasser increases Calc and Alk in the proper ratio.
Am I wrong?
If there was "excess" carbonate, wouldn't that show up as higher alkalinity when running an alkalinity test?

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s weird, the only piece I have that has this bubbling and I have lots of sps and lps. I think I got the piece last spring. I’m going to look into the 3 part it could be the answer.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a hard time believing that it's the kalkwasser. This tank has been running kalk for 3.5 years, and the issue just started showing up over the last few months for me.

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4 years old and have been running kalk for maybe 2 years. My gut feeling is that it’s not the kalk. I have recently been using flatworm stop? For maybe 3 mo.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a hard time believing that it's the kalkwasser. This tank has been running kalk for 3.5 years, and the issue just started showing up over the last few months for me.
It’s not kalk… I’d guess 80% of sps keepers use kalk and it’s not a issue.. something was outta whack in my tank and I’m not sure what it was, as the norm cal,alk,mag,n03 and p04 were all in good ranges.. maybe a trace element was off I’m not sure? but when I started upping my dose of all for reef my tank fixed its self and I still use kalk in my top off. Once my acros started taking off and growing again the problem fixed its self thank gawd! lol… I don’t believe it’s lighting either or a bacterial Infection etc.. something in the biome/ or traces wasn’t correct and that’s my belief thus far and dealing with this. Happy to report it’s long gone thou! lol. Also happy to report zero losses! Just ugly and stunted growth on my part.

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“i think you’re overdosing carbonate ions relative to the amount of coral you have and that’s causing the abnormality”

This is what my buddy said to me about my tank and made sense. Not saying its kalk, but in my case it was. It was creating an In balance , between the big 3. I stopped kalk, and literally within 2 days I saw improvement. Now 2 weeks later , 100% recovery. I tried everything even cipro just so you know. This did the trick. For what is worth , give it a shot. What do you have to loose?. I will be returning to kalk, in a few months for the ph benefits and obviously the cost. However this time I will be going back to it very very slowly. Like a 1/4 of the kalk dose per gallon at a time. Not straight to full saturation. Good luck

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not kalk… I’d guess 80% of sps keepers use kalk and it’s not a issue.. something was outta whack in my tank and I’m not sure what it was, as the norm cal,alk,mag,n03 and p04 were all in good ranges.. maybe a trace element was off I’m not sure? but when I started upping my dose of all for reef my tank fixed its self and I still use kalk in my top off. Once my acros started taking off and growing again the problem fixed its self thank gawd! lol… I don’t believe it’s lighting either or a bacterial Infection etc.. something in the biome/ or traces wasn’t correct and that’s my belief thus far and dealing with this. Happy to report it’s long gone thou! lol. Also happy to report zero losses! Just ugly and stunted growth on my part.
I agree 100 . Not lighting related at all!!!

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's wild. Never seen it happen in all my years keeping Acros. I also have been dosing Acro Power for over a decade so I would be surprised to hear that was the cause.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back