SPS bubbling

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefer
So upon searching and searching i found no info, or just dead end threads. My Acros have begun to display some bubbles… great add it to the list of things that i been through with this tank! . Anyways, yes sps have begun to bubble, specially around the polyps. Overall con-census is that is hyperplasia or neoplasia. Now the question how do we cure it? As far as recent changes, all i have done is increase lighting from 50% to 70 over a mont period, increased photoperiod to 12hr from 10 over a month as well started Acro Power once a week, and stopped dosing FW Stop and Coral booster EOD like i have always done. Lighting is 4 bulb t5 hybrid 2 blue + 1 c+ 1 act plus 2 xr15 g5 running TSA program at 70%. Tank is 16in tall shallow reef. Dosing , is 24/7 kalk at 2.5 ml/min covering my full Evap, and 6 ml of Aquaforest 123, AF Probios and NP Pro and nightly phyto. Also AF amino, build, vitamin, and energy . Alk is 9.1, No3 7.5 and Po4 .07. Only new thing i been dosing is Acropower .

IMG_0144.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0147.jpeg
IMG_0148.jpeg
IMG_0149.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really can't help but increasing photo period and par could be rough.
That's a bunch of stuff your dosing. Do you do water changes?

I assume you read though this thread.
Thread 'Bubbling SPS disease' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bubbling-sps-disease.405851/

Amminos seems to be a reoccurring theme.

Last edited:
OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy is having the same problem after starting acro power.. I had it myself and still see 1 coral with it and thought it was all gone ugh.. the majority of mine cleared up with a extra halide I threw on which is way more par than I had before.. weird but it cleared up the majority of my acros that had it.

Side note. I’ve never used acro power..
all for reef
Bacto balance
And now zeo bac, food, start.

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy is having the same problem after starting acro power.. I had it myself and still see 1 coral with it and thought it was all gone ugh.. the majority of mine cleared up with a extra halide I threw on which is way more par than I had before.. weird but it cleared up the majority of my acros that had it.

Side note. I’ve never used acro power..
all for reef
Bacto balance
And now zeo bac, food, start.
Funny thing is that I strongly suspected it was Acropower. Tank was seriously on cruise control, and now this. Hence when j started doing AP I started very slow. Its the only new thing being added to tank, so highly sus.

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it, can't really pinpoint what started it. I change too many things all of the time :D. It's on most of my SPS at this point. Hoping they outgrow it. So far I stopped dosing aminos, iodine, and manganese (see no difference). Did a couple large WC's with a different salt (no changes). I'm trying a higher par halide bulb. We'll see what happens. This is super annoying.

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it, can't really pinpoint what started it. I change too many things all of the time :D. It's on most of my SPS at this point. Hoping they outgrow it. So far I stopped dosing aminos, iodine, and manganese (see no difference). Did a couple large WC's with a different salt (no changes). I'm trying a higher par halide bulb. We'll see what happens. This is super annoying.
Extremely annoying. Just when tank was looking great. Gonna start with stopping Aminos see how that goes. Not much info out there on the how to stop or how we got it.

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update.
Some acros still bubbling, some more than others . I have lowered my photo period from 12 hrs to 10 . Also I reduced the UV from my schedule to 50% from 100% . I stopped all Amino dosing, and all Aquaforest products other than their NP Pro and Pro Bio s( carbon source and bacteria). Switched from my Aquaforest 123 ballin to AFR. I have no clue what else to do.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have a clue how to stop this? Or what causes it?. Im still having the issue. Im getting growth but corals still have bubbles.

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started having this same problem about a month and a half ago. It is only effecting my stylo and poci corals though. Could it be some sort of bacterial infection? I don't dose acropower, but do dose propog8 and isol8mt.

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started having this same problem about a month and a half ago. It is only effecting my stylo and poci corals though. Could it be some sort of bacterial infection? I don't dose acropower, but do dose propog8 and isol8mt.
I have no idea. No one seems to know much about this issue or how to correct it. To many speculations. I have stopped all dosing other than my kalk to my top off and AFR. About 70 of my acros are affected at this point, they are growing however.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea. No one seems to know much about this issue or how to correct it. To many speculations. I have stopped all dosing other than my kalk to my top off and AFR. About 70 of my acros are affected at this point, they are growing however.
Yeah idk man.. it seems to come and go! I added more lights and higher par and it went away but 3 of my sticks still have it ugh…

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah idk man.. it seems to come and go! I added more lights and higher par and it went away but 3 of my sticks still have it ugh…
Thats crazy how more par would make it stop. Makes no sence.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue. No solutions here yet either. Just continue to keep losing colonies little by little.
Some suggested sending a test to aquabiomics to check for SCTLD.
Thread 'Strange SPS tissue loss.' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/strange-sps-tissue-loss.1004748/
Strange.. I have a couple pieces with bubbles and going on 6 months now.. I have never lost a colony from it as the bubbles come and go… I have about 60 acros in my tank and only a couple show signs of bubbles or weird flesh.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back