SPS multplying

Greg Witherell

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2019
Messages
26
Reaction score
16
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was interesting enough to share. I began noticing some small hard green spots on my rocks with what appeared to be polyps. As they grew they began to take shape. I think now that they are baby pocillopora. I had a colony that was lost to STN. I have heard of this before but have never seen it. The 2 pics are a small green dot which is how they start and one of the largest ones which is beginning to take shape. I have about 10 in my tank.
baby poc2.jpg
baby poc.jpg
 
Not sure if I like them yet, some are coming up in places I don't want them like next to a high end acro. I will see how they do, just interesting to see.
 
I thought this was interesting enough to share. I began noticing some small hard green spots on my rocks with what appeared to be polyps. As they grew they began to take shape. I think now that they are baby pocillopora. I had a colony that was lost to STN. I have heard of this before but have never seen it. The 2 pics are a small green dot which is how they start and one of the largest ones which is beginning to take shape. I have about 10 in my tank.
baby poc2.jpg
baby poc.jpg
I agree its pretty cool! As you are finding they can be a nuisance however.
 
I nuked a tank once because pocillopora took over and was killing other corals. It was everywhere.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new