Sps Question If you knew

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I you knew then what you know now about sps and this hobby would you still have started an SPS tank? I look back 12 years and how much money ,tears and sweat I have put into this hobby never to get back any of the money spent thinking oh I will just frag these and it will pay for it self (selling pitch to the wife) only to never want to frag because they look so darn nice in colony form ..Or bamm you get Red bugs or what hit my tank the AEFW bug and loose all your corals ..just to get back in with a vengeance better lights better flow more pumps bigger skimmer and empty wallet..and countless purchases of frags and mini colonies just to get back where I was 2 years ago..guess it was all worth it lol ...but if you could go back in time and see your self right before you bought that first Sps would you tell yourself to run away from the hobby or ?

Just A thought that ran through my brain today
1eek.gif

Roger
gtg check the water parameters byehttp://reefcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/ROFL.gif

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being more selective and buying what I really want.

But many times I'm just an addict and I want to buy something, just something that's new. Often timex in the next few weeks I could care less about it.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting pretty close to calling it quits and selling it all not long ago. I moved and lost 6 good sized sps colonies. I tracked down everyone i traded with so i should get it all back. I know I'm just going to end up dumping a few hundred to happy coral and scoop up several new colonies though.

Tank thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81000

LG P999 EaglesBlood 2.8, Trinity ELPmax

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been learning alot of self control lately at my lfs. but i would have definately ben a little more selective when i first started instead of impulse buying

BlueDartReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thought. If I were to go back in time and change things, it would effect my participation in the hobby as a whole. It's not just the SPS that get me hooked. One month it's the fish. Six months later it's all the new LPS. A year later it's the SPS then larger fish. Two years down the road, it's upgrading to a system four times as large and all the equipment needed to maintain a large system. However, 17 years and Ten's of Thousand's of dollars later- I still couldn't give it up.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still do it.

All I would change is that I would have nothing to do with mushrooms (or any other "beginner corals" - hogwash term) and I'd have a doser set up for two-part within 6 months.

-Matt

frugner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knowing what i know now? well, i would have never put xenia into my sps tank, or GPS for that matter. i would have save a few grand by not buying wrong fish/coral/salt/bulbs/pumps/additives/tanks/ect.

but the real question; would i jump headfirst into this incredible hobby again?

oh yea

I would without thinking or blinking. probably wouldn't even check my bank balance.:tongue:

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell myself I would never have gotten that first sps if I had just known...but I know I'd be lying cause those beauties had me at hello!!!

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes cool topic. Since the person who got me into the hobby was a stick head, Sps were some of the first corals I kept. I have always just assumed that maintaining stable parameters, good lighting, flow, etc were just a normal part of reefkeeping so I've never really looked at it as a hassle.

So to answer the question... Na I wouldn't change anything.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't change a thing, and I have had a few crashes on my SPS tank to the point I have lost thousands of dollars worth of SPS corals. SPS corals are what really taught me so many aspects of the hobby in terms of water quality/parameters, lighting, and flow. Before I made the jump, softies and LPS had just gotten to be way to easy for me. I was about the quit the hobby then because it had gotten so boring to me. SPS corals are what kept me in the hobby, even with all the ups and downs, but I am the type of person who lives for challenges and areas to learn new things.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started out I said I'd never keep sps. 4 years later I wish I would have started out with sps. :)

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now knowing

Knowing what I know now, I would have NEVER looked at my husband's nano, NEVER suggest we get a larger tank when we built our house, NEVER suggest we get my "dream tank - Oceanic 76 gal half-round", NEVER fall in love with clams, acros and critters....oh well...hindsight is a wonderful thing!
bsa

brian_reefragr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being more selective and buying what I really want.

But many times I'm just an addict and I want to buy something, just something that's new. Often timex in the next few weeks I could care less about it.

I fully agree with that Darrell! And as much as I love the hobby, I do sometimes wonder how life would have been different if I had not started. Surely I would have found other money pits to watch dollars go up in smoke...like my boat, lol!

landlord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lord If someone would have smacked me in the face when I bought the last frag auctioned (Purple Monster) back in 2003, I believe that the website was SPSFrags.com either owned and or operated by Patrick Monahan in Oregon. Twas a long long time ago. I had no SPS until then. I was so teaked on that coral back then I won the auction for 390 dollars, I endured days of ridicule on another forum and was bummed as I watched it disentegrate over the next 4 days.

I wish that experience could be bought and sold, and wisdom didn't have to be earned over time. Would have saved me a lot of money. When people say to take it slow LISTEN they are doing it to be malicious.

:) Kurt

OP
OP
RogerWilco357

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amen to that brother..seems when people say take it slow all we do is put the pedal to the metal lol..

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I wish I would have done different is set my tank up for sps from the get go. Upgrading skimmers, lights, and powerheads several times could have been a few extra sps now ;) I havnt lost very many sps and i count myself lucky. But rushing and spending to try to upgrade to the next minimal level each time I decided to take the hobby a step further sucked. Also having a good site like reef2reef known to me when I started woulda helped a bunch as far as education before the plunge goes. Not a huge community in my area most corals are purchased online and shipped in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back