SPS Starting to Bleach

OffRoad322

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2018
Messages
51
Reaction score
13
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Just started using an algae scrubber for the last few weeks while also running a dual reactor with GFO and carbon. My PO4 was sky high and now it's down to .009. Should I turn off the GFO and algae scrubber for a while to get the SPS happy again? Suggestions? Here are my current levels...

Salinity 1.025
Calcium 407
Alk 7.5
Mag 1360
P04 .009

Thank you!
 
Generally speaking, SPS need some nutrients (NO3, PO4) to thrive. I might back off the GFO. As far as bleaching I have read of people getting burnt tips when running carbon, without having run it previously.
 
For sps my understanding also is you want your alk up around 8 and calcium up around 450
 
Stability stability is the key don't chase #s ! How old is the tank ? What's you nitrate? Temp not over 80 ?
 
If i had to guess i would say you had a alk swing from the gfo.
 
Temp is 78 constant
 
I agree no gfo and always go below the reccomended dosage for carbon gfo and chemi pure bleached my acros once so no I just run an algae reactor with chaeto and minimal carbon
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new