Sps turning white

Tinks.reef89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity kinda got a little low and one of my lights went out, and now some of my corals are starting to turn white. Now what’s the best way to turn this around.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity kinda got a little low and one of my lights went out, and now some of my corals are starting to turn white. Now what’s the best way to turn this around.

Replace the light fixture. What's your water parameters?

OP
OP
T

Tinks.reef89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m waiting on a new light to come in the mail. I’m gonna Chang my lighting up slightly. I’m gonna go from 2 radion xr30 gen 2 pros. To 2 radion xr15 pros with a t5 hybrid. And alk got down to 6.3 and cal 500

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the alk back up above 7 will help, remember to go slowly and not increase more than 1.4 dKH per day. I don't think you need to do anything special, replacing the light and correcting the water chemistry will be the best environment for healing you can get. Corals are slow to color back up so be patient, it may take a couple months for your efforts to be rewarded.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m waiting on a new light to come in the mail. I’m gonna Chang my lighting up slightly. I’m gonna go from 2 radion xr30 gen 2 pros. To 2 radion xr15 pros with a t5 hybrid. And alk got down to 6.3 and cal 500

Raising the alkalinity is best only 1dkh a day. Using Randy's recipe part 2. 1 1/8 cup of baking soda (not baking powder) to a gallon of RO/DI water mixed till dissolved.

Using this calculator:

What's your remaining water parameters?

How old is the tank?

OP
OP
T

Tinks.reef89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising the alkalinity is best only 1dkh a day. Using Randy's recipe part 2. 1 1/8 cup of baking soda (not baking powder) to a gallon of RO/DI water mixed till dissolved.

Using this calculator:

What's your remaining water parameters?

How old is the tank?
The tank is coming up on a year old

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda answered your own question, raise the low alk to what you kept it at with success and keep it stable going forward and get the broken bulb replaced and or add or get new lights. Thing is with acros they tend to go downhill much faster than getting them coloring up and growing again after an issue causes them problem. Assuming those are the only 2 culprits once you fix those issues and if the corals are still alive they will slowly start rebounding back to what the looked like before but it’s probably gonna take a few months atleast.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your Alk parameters stable and let the tank get back to being normal on its own. personally i dont think one can be successful with acros unless your testing Alk every 1-3 days and keeping it in line. I wouldnt do any waterchanges and I would not blast the tank with new light.. IME distressed or new acros will recover in lower light but almost also bleach out when exposed to very high light. In short fix the issue, test, monitor and let the corals recover on their own

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back