Vince7177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I just bought a red sea max nano.
I would like to setup as a seahorses tank.
What kind of seahorse a can put in it .
Just a couple and gorgonian
Thank you for your help

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is a 20g tank then NO seahorses can be recommended for it as the minimum recommended level is 30g for just ONE pair of standard seahorses.
While theoretically you could put dwarf seahorses in there, it would NOT be practical as they need live food in such density that you could go nuts just producing such food in the amounts needed. (You would have NO problem with 50 dwarfs in a 5g tank.)

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is a 20g tank then NO seahorses can be recommended for it as the minimum recommended level is 30g for just ONE pair of standard seahorses.
While theoretically you could put dwarf seahorses in there, it would NOT be practical as they need live food in such density that you could go nuts just producing such food in the amounts needed. (You would have NO problem with 50 dwarfs in a 5g tank.)

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I just bought a red sea max nano.
I would like to setup as a seahorses tank.
What kind of seahorse a can put in it .
Just a couple and gorgonian
Thank you for your help
Try researching seahorse care FIRST, then decide on the setup, you need to know much more than just the tank size!

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I neglected to recommend reading the threads in the "stickies" section at the top of the Seahorse/Pipefish forums here.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you guys !
I change my tank for a 36 G.

Vince - thanks for rolling with those who are really passionate about their hobby! There are a lot of resources about seahorses here on R2R and on YouTube (e.g., seahorse whisperer, etc.). As you do your research I encourage you to pay attention to flow, water quality, appropriate hitching posts, water change requirements, and more. Erectus may be a good species of seahorse to start researching. Dwarf seahorses would work in a 20g, but you probably would need to begin a second hobby of raising live foods! This is something that you may want to consider in the future. Seahorses are truly amazing creatures and I wish you well on your journey - I am cheering for you!

OP
OP
V

Vince7177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vince - thanks for rolling with those who are really passionate about their hobby! There are a lot of resources about seahorses here on R2R and on YouTube (e.g., seahorse whisperer, etc.). As you do your research I encourage you to pay attention to flow, water quality, appropriate hitching posts, water change requirements, and more. Erectus may be a good species of seahorse to start researching. Dwarf seahorses would work in a 20g, but you probably would need to begin a second hobby of raising live foods! This is something that you may want to consider in the future. Seahorses are truly amazing creatures and I wish you well on your journey - I am cheering for you!

Thank you so much for your message .
I really appreciate it.
I know it’s a lot of resources online but also a lot of time confusing and conflicting.
I’m taking as much infos as I can .
I have another tank biocube 32 that work very well and very healthy. But I always wanted seahorses.
18bc3df9f071167e783ab10788c5c7b5.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really appreciate it.
I know it’s a lot of resources online but also a lot of time confusing and conflicting.
I have another tank biocube 32 that work very well and very healthy. But I always wanted seahorses.

Wow!!! Very nice tank! I definitely understand what you mean by confusing and conflicting information, but if you think back to when you started your reef it was probably very similar, if not worse, because there is a lot of mixed advice about reefing The strong community and the excellent knowledge are a couple of the reasons that people come to R2R, but even here there are various opinions about how set up a reef. Somehow you found your way through that confusion and have a reef that you can be proud of!

I can also relate to your interest in seahorses - they are really special. One of the seahorse experts here on R2R is @Lucie, so I would recommend that you do a search and read through her posts - both the pictures and information will be worth the effort. And who knows, she may even pop in to this thread and offer you some additional advice or resources on getting started!

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf seahorses would certainly fit and thrive in a Red Sea Max nano. You'd need to keep a steady culture of live baby brine shrimp though.

Probably would also need to block filter inlets with a sponge or something to protect them.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate it.
18bc3df9f071167e783ab10788c5c7b5.jpg

Off topic but how long have you had that NPS gorgonian and what do you feed it? is it a blueberry? They're my dream coral.

OP
OP
V

Vince7177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but how long have you had that NPS gorgonian and what do you feed it? is it a blueberry? They're my dream coral.

Hi, I have it for 2 moths now .
It’s a yellow finder very healthy.
I give him reef roids .

Back