Starting initial cycle

grisban

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2025
Messages
58
Reaction score
13
Location
Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I have set up my AIO tank and i currently have dry rocks, live sand from aquaforest and i dosed some arka microbelift special blend. Is this enough to start the cycle? Or do i need to add an ammonia source like very little fishfood or bottled?
 
Last edited:
Yes, I think you should add an ammonia source to help grow the bacterial population to a point where it can handle the waste from your future livestock. I like ammonium chloride from Dr. Tim’s or Fritz, or you can use food grade ammonia bicarbonate found at the baking section of many grocery stores and Michaels craft stores.

I would add enough of the ammonia to bring the concentration to about 2.0 ppm to start the cycle. I think it’s also a good idea to add a pinch of fish food too, this provides some phosphate that potentially helps the bacteria.

You can use all fish food, but you need to add quite a bit of it to get the ammonia up to 2.0 ppm.

Some just add a piece of shrimp from the seafood market, but sometimes that can literally stink lol!

Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new