Stenner peristaltic pumps for ATO

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of threads where these Stenner pumps are used in AWC systems. Is anyone using one for ATO purposes? Connected to a float valve? I've not used float valves in the past but thought generally they were on gravity fed systems and not pumped.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a positive displacement pump, so it won’t work to close off the discharge side with a float. The positive displacement pump will build up pressure till the motor stalls, or a tube blows off. Also they are more expensive than the standard 12 volt non-positive displacement pumps.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I asked the wrong question -- I'm wondering if a peristaltic pump can function with a float valve in a way where the drop in water level will trigger an outlet ON which is connected to the pump and then turn the outlet OFF when the water level has been restored.

I'm looking to have a replacement for spectrapure's systems since they've seemed to phase their units out. I don't want to be stuck with optical sensors that most aquarium ATOs use, and Avast has been out of stock in their diaphragm pump for some time now.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are looking for a float switch, as opposed to a float valve.

Float switch ATO systems can be as reliable as any, but works best with some sort of control system (standalone or controller based), so that you can incorporate time delays and safety programming. At the very least I would use two float switches, one to turn the pump on and off, and one mounted slightly higher as a secondary shutoff in case the first switch sticks.

There are many ways to setup an ATO from simple to complex, most can be reasonably reliable, all will require maintenance. If you are looking for cheap and simple, gravity feed from a reservoir and a float valve is straight forward and reliable.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back