Step by step full spectrum diy led build

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The braiding of the wires is fantastic!

I'm glad you kept the T5's as well. Just be sure to allow things to acclimate slowly, and you should have some good color and growth in the next few months.

nhago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job!!

do you care to share how much this project cost you? I'm looking into making the switch also...

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job!!

do you care to share how much this project cost you? I'm looking into making the switch also...

The kit with a extra driver was around $287 with shipping, then the material at Home Depot was around $64. So for a total of around $350

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is over 125ft of wiring in this because of the way i routed the wires, but 100ft of wiring is like $5. To me it was well worth it.

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To do it this way, with the wiring routed like this, you do have to have more wire than given with the kit. Correct me if I'm wrong Greg, the kit only came with 50ft total?

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50ft of 20 gauge is what came with the kit and dwilliams had a 100ft roll of wire

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the time i started building til i was finish, i had roughly 20 hours into this project.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive... job, what glue did you use to fasten the crees to the rails? I was afraid to do that because most glues don't do heat well. Are the LED's hotter than the rails? Wondering if the heat transfer is effective. My interest is because I have spare LED's and I want to build a set with for my refugium. I'd love to glue them.

Last edited:

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive... job, what glue did you use to fasten the crees to the rails? I was afraid to do that because most glues don't do heat well. Are the LED's hotter than the rails? Wondering if the heat transfer is effective. My interest is because I have spare LED's and I want to build a set with for my refugium. I'd love to glue them.

They are bridgelux leds but the alluminum c channel keeps the leds super cool i dont need a fan and the.metal never even gets warm on my led diy.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The "glue" i use is just the heatsink plaster that the kit came with. So far since i have the leds dimmed way down to mimic the same par as i was getting so that i dont shock my acros too much at one time. I dont know how hot they will get. I do know the little time i had them at 100%, they were warm but not hot. The drivers are way warmer than the heatsink and leds. But the t5s and t5's ballast WAY hotter.

I will gradually ramp up the leds over the next few weeks and if i notice any unwanted heat i will let everyone know. Although i really dont think i will. The C-channel i use is 3/4" which actual dimensions are 7/8" where the leds are placed on the bottom and 1/2" tall sides. So total area is close to 2" of metal. So heat has lots of metal to transfer the heat from the led.

I hope this help

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back