stocking help!

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish:

After a lot of research (by alot, i meant it). Ive found that 10 gallons in sufficient for 2 clowns as people have them in 5-10 gals without any stress to the fish () this one shows the guy having clowns in a 5 gal with a cardinal and a wrasse i think. So anyway, I want to know if i can get anything else. I'm getting perculas or ocellaris. I'm aware of the fact that i can either get two perculas or 2 ocellaris. Im not mixing the 2 species, dw. Please tell me what my clean-up crew should be. Can i maybe be able to squeeze a wrasse or a goby in that tank? It's 11.5 gals to be exact.

Corals:

I want to get some type of zoas and a rock flower anemone. Are rock flower anemone beginner friendly? Are they hardy? If not, please tell me what corals i can get that arent expensive, beginner friendly and hardy.

Yup. Decided I'm going fowlr. So not getting any type of coral lol sorry!

Cheers and thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a small goby or wrasse. Yes, rock flowers are fairly hardy and pleasing to the eye - provided you have stable water conditions. They do best with supplemental feeding.
hey! thank you for the advice! wanted a watchman goby, so gonna start researching!

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-10 gallon tanks are not suitable for clownfish long term and you definitely wouldn't want to put other fish in a tank that size with them. Clowns are very territorial. 20 gallon is really the minimum for clowns long term. Just because you've seen people do it doesn't mean it's ideal. Not even close actually. As far as your example, any guy that put multiple clowns a cardinalfish and a wrasse together in a 5 gallon tank is an idiot.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-10 gallon tanks are not suitable for clownfish long term and you definitely wouldn't want to put other fish in a tank that size with them. Clowns are very territorial. 20 gallon is really the minimum for clowns long term. Just because you've seen people do it doesn't mean it's ideal. Not even close actually. As far as your example, any guy that put multiple clowns a cardinalfish and a wrasse together in a 5 gallon tank is an idiot.

Well the 5 gallon was a columnar which probably helps some with the territory thing, but I agree long term that probably won't work.

Imo 5 is to small for adult clowns, but breeders regularly keep them in sectioned off portions about 5 gallons big and they breed.
I think 10 gallons is fine for 2 clowns and can probably get away with 1 other fish.
IME any tank mates added early in life they tolerate well.

Edit
Obviously talking about ocellaris clowns not clarkis or Marion's or something

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding clowns is different. The 10 gallon idea is a crap shoot at best. For a few bucks more they could get a 20 gal. and not have the hassle. And if the 2 clowns did decide to pair up in the 10, that other fish may quickly find itself in trouble. Just not worth it IMO. 5 gallon tanks really aren't acceptable for fish in general with the possible exception of a single Trimma goby or other nano goby species.

Last edited:

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish:

After a lot of research (by alot, i meant it). Ive found that 10 gallons in sufficient for 2 clowns as people have them in 5-10 gals without any stress to the fish () this one shows the guy having clowns in a 5 gal with a cardinal and a wrasse i think. So anyway, I want to know if i can get anything else. I'm getting perculas or ocellaris. I'm aware of the fact that i can either get two perculas or 2 ocellaris. Im not mixing the 2 species, dw. Please tell me what my clean-up crew should be. Can i maybe be able to squeeze a wrasse or a goby in that tank? It's 11.5 gals to be exact.

Corals:

I want to get some type of zoas and a rock flower anemone. Are rock flower anemone beginner friendly? Are they hardy? If not, please tell me what corals i can get that arent expensive, beginner friendly and hardy.

Cheers and thank you!

I suggest a goby/shrimp pair. They are really fun to watch and interesting. Just don't put anything on your substrate.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He indicated his tank size was 11.5 gallons, which would be fine for 3 small fish. Most gobies don’t get very big, and neither do most clowns for the first few years. He can always start with the pair of clowns and see how things go before adding anything else.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He indicated his tank size was 11.5 gallons, which would be fine for 3 small fish. Most gobies don’t get very big, and neither do most clowns for the first few years. He can always start with the pair of clowns and see how things go before adding anything else.
Agreed, 11.5 is fine for 3 small fish. I still wouldn't put clowns in it. He was quoting off of you tubers who grossly overstock very small tanks. I was stressing the importance of not doing that. Any famously aggressive and territorial fish in a tank that size with the hope of adding any additional fish is a recipe for trouble IMO. It would be a shame to have to run out and buy that 20 gallon If it didn't work out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha... understood. Once they get bigger, will upgrade. I really do care about my animals and wont let them suffer!
Once they're 4-5 inches or so, ill get them a 20-30g! Cheers!

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha... understood. Once they get bigger, will upgrade. I really do care about my animals and wont let them suffer!
Once they're 4-5 inches or so, ill get them a 20-30g! Cheers!
You'll want to do it sooner than that. A 4-5 inch fish in an 11.5 gallon tank won't fare well.

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the 5 gallon was a columnar which probably helps some with the territory thing, but I agree long term that probably won't work.

Imo 5 is to small for adult clowns, but breeders regularly keep them in sectioned off portions about 5 gallons big and they breed.
I think 10 gallons is fine for 2 clowns and can probably get away with 1 other fish.
IME any tank mates added early in life they tolerate well.

Edit
Obviously talking about ocellaris clowns not clarkis or Marion's or something
yep im 100% not getting clark's or maroons. My parents used to have a reef tank and their tomatoes and maroons (2 toms and 2 maroons) actually kinda became friendly towards each other! They used to host in the same anemone. Unfortunately, they became bullies and took over the tank. Killed a yellow wrasse, a regal tank, 3 cleaner shrimp and a pair of 3 spot domino damsels. They also got massive it seems. 4-5 inches lol. I'm 100% going for the more peaceful clowns

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, 11.5 is fine for 3 small fish. I still wouldn't put clowns in it. He was quoting off of you tubers who grossly overstock very small tanks. I was stressing the importance of not doing that. Any famously aggressive and territorial fish in a tank that size with the hope of adding any additional fish is a recipe for trouble IMO. It would be a shame to have to run out and buy that 20 gallon If it didn't work out.
yep understood. I will deffo get a bigger tank in the future. A 30 or a 40 gal!

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okie! once they become 3 inches?
I was looking at picasso's or black ocellaris!

It's one to 2 years. Also worth noting both off those will get larger than standard ocellaris. If you want the smallest clownfish go with snowflake or standard ocellaris or Wyoming white .

I say you'll be fine, the 2 clownfish may eventually bully or kill any tank mate in a 10 gallon but probably not until they reach sexual maturity and will be perfectly happy.

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3 inches is better. Good luck.
thank you!

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's one to 2 years. Also worth noting both off those will get larger than standard ocellaris. If you want the smallest clownfish go with snowflake or standard ocellaris or Wyoming white .

I say you'll be fine, the 2 clownfish may eventually bully or kill any tank mate in a 10 gallon but probably not until they reach sexual maturity and will be perfectly happy.
ohhhh ohkay! good to know! thank you!

Back