Stocking ideas

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80 gallon tank, 3ftx2ftx2ft or 90cm x 60cm x 60cm (if ya nasty). I am looking for a few fish that will do certain things.
I would like to have a small shoal of fish that could work as dithers (not anthias), a fish/invert that will eat aptasia(sp?) and a fish that will eat parasites like nudis and flatworms.
my current stock list is
1-one spot rabbit
1-royal gramma
1-algae blenny
1-radial filefish
2-peppermint shrimp(which at gunpoint i probably would not find them in my tank)
1-skunk cleaner
8?-turbo snails(they had babies im so proud)

the fish i am thinking of that do one or two of these
forktail fang blenny(shoal)
flasher wrasse(multiple species to show off at each other)
black leopard wrasse (eat pest and shoal)
yellow coris (eat pest and shoal?)
aptasia eating filefish (not reef safe and maybe not compatible with my radial)
pygmy angels(shoal)
pacific blue eyes(obsessed with these fish)

the rest of the future stock list:
1-jawfish
1-hawk fish?

thanks!(also is that too many fish?)

SHINYSuccubus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80 gallon tank, 3ftx2ftx2ft or 90cm x 60cm x 60cm (if ya nasty). I am looking for a few fish that will do certain things.
I would like to have a small shoal of fish that could work as dithers (not anthias), a fish/invert that will eat aptasia(sp?) and a fish that will eat parasites like nudis and flatworms.
my current stock list is
1-one spot rabbit
1-royal gramma
1-algae blenny
1-radial filefish
2-peppermint shrimp(which at gunpoint i probably would not find them in my tank)
1-skunk cleaner

pygmy angels(shoal)

1-jawfish
1-hawk fish?

i’m only an “expert” on the filefish. i loved my matted filefish - i thought he looked like a living fossil. plus he did awesome camo tricks. plus he did actually slurp up aiptasia with relish! but. not reef safe, not even close. he ate zoas faster than aiptasia. he also was witnessed eating clams, and really anything that held still with the exception of torches. i had to re-home him, and i was truly sorry to see him go. but it was either keep him and have a FOWLR tank, or let him go and have a reef tank. hope that helps!

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much aiptasia are we talking? Can you just kalk paste it and move on? Or are you looking for steady control of an ongoing problem?

It's also really hard to get fish to school in the reefing world. It can be done in big tanks, but I am not sure it's possible at your size. Maybe the small blue eyes? I'm not familiar with them.

That Royal Gramma is gonna nuke wrasses and anything "similar" to him. He may not, but most likely will bully them. I would use an acclimation box, that's how I got my flasher wrasse in after my neon dottyback went gonzo.

I'm not sure the angels will school, and they'll eat your softies pretty readily.

Good luck!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my current stock list is
1-one spot rabbit
1-royal gramma
1-algae blenny
1-radial filefish
1-skunk cleaner

pygmy angels(shoal)

1-jawfish
1-hawk fish?

Wrasses do not shoal. Also almost all wrasses turn male in captivity, only Leopards and Tamarins seem to be more unlikely to always transition to male. So if you tried pairs or trios, they’d most likely all turn male. As for Flashers, similar species will fight eachother and sometimes it can be to the death.

Pygmy angels don’t shoal either to my knowledge. They more keep to themselves unless in trios or pairs. If in trios/pairs they seem to stay closer together. They are much more of rock dwellers than our in the open.

Your peppermint shrimp most likely won’t remain alive for long with Halichoeres wrasses or Hawkfishes. I have found wrasses and hawkfish avoid the Skunk Cleaners and larger more defensive Boxers.

Blennies also do not shoal. I have found these to remain to themselves as well. They will hide in the rocks as well as in the water column but I have had several fight eachother off when we tried to have them communally. Your Algae Blenny may not like a Fork Tail in the tank as they’re similar characteristics.

Pacific Blue Eyes seem to have a very bad reputation in the hobby and not having a great survival rate. I personally wouldn’t do it knowing their survival rates.

Seeing it’s a 3’ tank I’d personally avoid a harem of similar species or same species wrasses as they will almost definitely fight eachother. The Pygmy’s could be alright however I would only do one or two. The blennies I wouldn’t risk it in a 3’ tank, maybe I’d try in a 4’ tank. Your foxface will outgrow a 3’ tank and I’d personally only keep the smallest species in 3-4’ tanks (Magnificents).

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses do not shoal. Also almost all wrasses turn male in captivity, only Leopards and Tamarins seem to be more unlikely to always transition to male. So if you tried pairs or trios, they’d most likely all turn male. As for Flashers, similar species will fight eachother and sometimes it can be to the death.

Pygmy angels don’t shoal either to my knowledge. They more keep to themselves unless in trios or pairs. If in trios/pairs they seem to stay closer together. They are much more of rock dwellers than our in the open.

Your peppermint shrimp most likely won’t remain alive for long with Halichoeres wrasses or Hawkfishes. I have found wrasses and hawkfish avoid the Skunk Cleaners and larger more defensive Boxers.

Blennies also do not shoal. I have found these to remain to themselves as well. They will hide in the rocks as well as in the water column but I have had several fight eachother off when we tried to have them communally. Your Algae Blenny may not like a Fork Tail in the tank as they’re similar characteristics.

Pacific Blue Eyes seem to have a very bad reputation in the hobby and not having a great survival rate. I personally wouldn’t do it knowing their survival rates.

Seeing it’s a 3’ tank I’d personally avoid a harem of similar species or same species wrasses as they will almost definitely fight eachother. The Pygmy’s could be alright however I would only do one or two. The blennies I wouldn’t risk it in a 3’ tank, maybe I’d try in a 4’ tank. Your foxface will outgrow a 3’ tank and I’d personally only keep the smallest species in 3-4’ tanks (Magnificents

Seeing it’s a 3’ tank I’d personally avoid a harem of similar species or same species wrasses as they will almost definitely fight eachother. The Pygmy’s could be alright however I would only do one or two. The blennies I wouldn’t risk it in a 3’ tank, maybe I’d try in a 4’ tank. Your foxface will outgrow a 3’ tank and I’d personally only keep the smallest species in 3-4’ tanks (Magnificents).
i read that fang blennies are much bolder than other blennies, and when i was diving, the fork tails seemed to at least hang out in the water column
i currently have a trio of pacific blue eyes in another tank and they seem to be doing fine

Thanks btw!

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i read that fang blennies are much bolder than other blennies, and when i was diving, the fork tails seemed to at least hang out in the water column
i currently have a trio of pacific blue eyes in another tank and they seem to be doing fine

Thanks btw!
my current stock list is
1-one spot rabbit
1-royal gramma
1-algae blenny
1-radial filefish
1-skunk cleaner

pygmy angels(shoal)

1-jawfish
1-hawk fish?

i forgot to add chrysiptera damsels for pest control and shoaling

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much aiptasia are we talking? Can you just kalk paste it and move on? Or are you looking for steady control of an ongoing problem?

It's also really hard to get fish to school in the reefing world. It can be done in big tanks, but I am not sure it's possible at your size. Maybe the small blue eyes? I'm not familiar with them.

That Royal Gramma is gonna nuke wrasses and anything "similar" to him. He may not, but most likely will bully them. I would use an acclimation box, that's how I got my flasher wrasse in after my neon dottyback went gonzo.

I'm not sure the angels will school, and they'll eat your softies pretty readily.

Good luck!
i had a yellow coris wrasse in the tank till she disappeared, the gramma just ignored her
i just want something to keep my aptasia down, i have some in areas that i can’t kalk off

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a yellow coris wrasse in the tank till she disappeared, the gramma just ignored her
i just want something to keep my aptasia down, i have some in areas that i can’t kalk off
The aiptasa eating creatures can work, but you need a lot of peppermint shrimp to pull it off, I have no experience with the file fish other than I had one for a month and he ate like….all my coral. He nipped everything. If I could do it over I would as most wanna QT him and “train” him with it, but that seems so hard and unnecessary.

Back