Stocking Question

Kyle Rinker

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2017
Messages
139
Reaction score
149
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I am setting up a mixed reef in my Nuvo 40 office tank and I am trying to figure out some good coral stocking options. I am struggling to figure out my best options for the lower portions of the liverock closer to the sandbed. The photos I attached will help to show why I am asking about stocking. I will be keeping mostly SPS and LPS in the tank. There are a couple zoanthid frags in shaded spots. I have included photos of the front of the tank, sides, back, and top-down to give an idea of what I'm working with. The problem I have run into is that there is very little room for mounting branching SPS frags to the lower portions of the rockwork because it is close to the sides of the tank. What would be a good SPS or LPS option to mount here? I have considered encrusting SPS/LPS but I'm not sure I could stop them from eventually covering too large a portion of the rock or killing more prized pieces later on top of the rockwork. I thought about using LPS such as acans but the same problem may exist. I also thought about euphyllia like hammers but I think the flow would be too strong. I am currently using a gyre and combined with my return I am at about 70x tank turnover. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Down Back Glass.jpg


Down Front Glass.jpg


Front Glass.jpg


Left Frong Side.jpg


Right Front Side.jpg


Top-Down.jpg
 
I keep acans, favia and birstnests low down in my 220 (30" deep). OH! And my doughnut coral (i.e. the one in my avatar pic).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new