Stocking suggestion for 55g?

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a waterbox 85.3 frag tank, according to the sticker the display up top is about 55 gallons rest is in the sump.

was wondering if anyone can share input on colorful interactive fish, nothing too skittish , goal is a reef tank so preferably reef safe or with caution would be good

all I got stocking wise right now:
2 clown fish
Canary wrasse
Tuxedo urchin
Porcelain crab
About 6 snails

thanks in advance :)

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my blenny. I have a tailspot, but if I had a bigger tank I'd get a midas blenny or a starry blenny. Skunk cleaner shrimp are fun and can be quite active. Watchman gobies and other shrimp gobies can be fun to watch.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my blenny. I have a tailspot, but if I had a bigger tank I'd get a midas blenny or a starry blenny. Skunk cleaner shrimp are fun and can be quite active. Watchman gobies and other shrimp gobies can be fun to watch.
I like the suggestion of the tail spot hadn’t come across that one :) as for shrimp I kind of like the coral banded shrimp but not sure just bc I’ve heard they can get aggressive. As for gobies can you have more than one in a tank? I wanted a diamond watchmen and another gobie that would pair with a pistol shrimp.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the suggestion of the tail spot hadn’t come across that one :) as for shrimp I kind of like the coral banded shrimp but not sure just bc I’ve heard they can get aggressive. As for gobies can you have more than one in a tank? I wanted a diamond watchmen and another gobie that would pair with a pistol shrimp.
Gobies are generally very peaceful, reef safe fish. However, they prefer to perch rather than free swim for most of the time unlike a clown that will swim all day. I have a yellow clown goby and a yellow neon goby and in the past I had a Hi fin goby with my yellow clown and they were fine.

I've not had a coral banded shrimp for the concern that it it would not be reef safe.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Reef safe with caution'....I'll be that guy, why not. Coral Beauty. Your tank size is right on the borderline of size recommendations. If you've got a decent amount of live rock for it to weave in and out of, then great. Mine is a reef model citizen 4 years. Usually very hardy fish, especially if tank bred....Give it some thought.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Reef safe with caution'....I'll be that guy, why not. Coral Beauty. Your tank size is right on the borderline of size recommendations. If you've got a decent amount of live rock for it to weave in and out of, then great. Mine is a reef model citizen 4 years. Usually very hardy fish, especially if tank bred....Give it some thought.
I didn’t think a coral beauty would be an option as I thought they need at least a 75g is that not the case?

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are generally very peaceful, reef safe fish. However, they prefer to perch rather than free swim for most of the time unlike a clown that will swim all day. I have a yellow clown goby and a yellow neon goby and in the past I had a Hi fin goby with my yellow clown and they were fine.

I've not had a coral banded shrimp for the concern that it it would not be reef safe.
Have you ever tried pairing your gobies with a pistol shrimp?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t think a coral beauty would be an option as I thought they need at least a 75g is that not the case?
Differing opinion on this one... I've seen 30, 40, 55, and 70 g recommended minimums. I think the main thing is having a decent amount of rockwork for them to graze on, rest in or dart in and out of.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back