LSAReefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi hopefully someone can identify this for me. I’ve never seen anything like this before. I tried to manually remove it but it’s surprisingly VERY hard to scrape off even with a toothbrush. It’s a 6month old system 125 gal with a VERY LIGHT bio load(two clowns, a gramma, softies and hammers). Salinity 1.025-6 nitrates and phosphates 0. Low calcium(360ppm) and alkalinity(6) I’m working on bringing it up.
IMG_7204.jpeg
IMG_7206.jpeg

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some type of sponge? Does it break apart if you touch it, or keep it's shape?

Upvote 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi hopefully someone can identify this for me. I’ve never seen anything like this before. I tried to manually remove it but it’s surprisingly VERY hard to scrape off even with a toothbrush. It’s a 6month old system 125 gal with a VERY LIGHT bio load(two clowns, a gramma, softies and hammers). Salinity 1.025-6 nitrates and phosphates 0. Low calcium(360ppm) and alkalinity(6) I’m working on bringing it up.
IMG_7204.jpeg
IMG_7206.jpeg
Would you post a picture under white light?

Upvote 0

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem over a year ago. I even posted about it but no one could give me a direct answer. Thankfully it eventually went away after a few months. I wouldn't worry too much.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LSAReefers

LSAReefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem over a year ago. I even posted about it but no one could give me a direct answer. Thankfully it eventually went away after a few months. I wouldn't worry too much.
Did you happen to have a utilitarian type fish? i.e a lawnmower blenny or tangs. I used to have a lawnmower blenny but he recently disappeared.

Upvote 0

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LSAReefers

LSAReefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it that looks just like it. I’ll get some bacteria then.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LSAReefers

LSAReefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The location (highest light portion of rock) and the way it moves in the video - chrysophytes
What kind of flow do you have? They don't love flow. You should see that where there is direct current from the return or a flow pump there will be no chrysophytes. What clean up crew do you have? Cerith snails will eat chrysophytes. They are as slow AF but they eat it. Phosguard removes silicates but obviously also removes phosphate. I'm not convinced upping nutrients is the right way to battle chrysophytes but maybe. I think continuous manual removal and don't let it blow around when you remove it Get some snails and Jack up the flow as much as your corals will tolerate.
According to this person they don’t like flow. But this stuff is growing in my fastest flowing areas only. And not just at the top of the tank the worst is actually at the bottom near the sand. I don’t disagree these do resemble crysophytes. That worries me a bit because they seem really hard to get rid of. Running GFO isn’t really and option do you think the Cerith snails will do the trick my clean up crew is nothing but 2 sand sifting stars and 5 hermits because there isn’t much of a food source for anything more. Not opposed to upping clean up crew if it’ll help.

Upvote 0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what people are finding reliably gets rid of chrysophytes except algaefix etc.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back