Strawberry Shrotcake

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I got a piece of strawberry shortcake from Jason Fox at a frag swap awhile back. I also got other sps frags. all of the are doing fine but the strawberry shortcake, its actually white now. I don't understand what happened because the of acros I have by it are doing great. I thought it might have to do with the lighting but all of my others are doing fine. can anyone tell me what I should do to try and prevent this for a little bit more success. the one issue I have is my alk I have switched to red sea salt the one with the low alk but it keeps reading high when I test and I will test two or three times in a row and its the same number each time(hanna).

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find over time that some SPS do not like swings of any kind. If you are using blue bucket Red Sea it is a 7 to 8 alk. I use it all the time. If you are reading high double check it with your LFS or a friends test kit. High alk will kill SPS unless you are running a high nutrient system with nitrates 50 ppm being what works. It can take a month after a alk spike to see the damage.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find over time that some SPS do not like swings of any kind. If you are using blue bucket Red Sea it is a 7 to 8 alk. I use it all the time. If you are reading high double check it with your LFS or a friends test kit. High alk will kill SPS unless you are running a high nutrient system with nitrates 50 ppm being what works. It can take a month after a alk spike to see the damage.
Or an alk drop. Several weeks later I'm still getting random tissue loss on some of my Acros. :(

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are sure that your salinity is reading correctly on a calibrated refractormeter ? Also if you do 10% waterchange a week , even if your new water is at high dkh,itcannpr impact a whole lot of your total tank volume .

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check it every time I add a scoop to my new water than when I get it to the right level I have my mom look at it to make sure it where it should be. I was wondering if my hanna checker was off if that was possible?

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check it every time I add a scoop to my new water than when I get it to the right level I have my mom look at it to make sure it where it should be. I was wondering if my hanna checker was off if that was possible?

Oh, it's possible! I keep my Hannah reagent stored upright now. They had a bad lot not too long ago.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your alk is 10-11 dKh then that is a very likely cause. I run my alk between 7-8, if it ever creeps up past 9, things start going bad, 10 or 11 and I can imagine I would lose significant SPS. I am not positive how some are successful with ALK that high, but most successful tanks that I see these days are 7-8 dKh.

Good luck and sorry about the SSC!

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right it can take a 4 to 8 weeks to see the affect of a water quality issue show up. Then you start chasing your tail.
I've been down this rabbit hole before so I don't change much parameter wise trying to fix an issue that happened a month ago. It's better to keep my parameters stable and ride it out.

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a strawberry shortcake about 2 years ago. Lost its color day 2 but I noticed slight pe at night so I never tossed it. Just 2 weeks ago I noticed it's finally regaining some pink color. Have patience if it's alive there's always hope.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back