Stringy skin on Bristletooth Tang

Kryssie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dun goofed. I introduced a clownfish to my display without QTing recently. I knew better and I did it anyway. Shame on me. (I also posted this in the wrong forum earlier.)

Anyway, now Bentley (Bristletooth) and Jubilee (Yellow) have some kind of skin condition. I’m scared it’s brook, but I haven’t been doing this long enough to know. If anyone can tell me what this is so I can treat my fish, please help ASAP. All my fish are going into my 55 gal hospital tank today. Thanks in advance.

247E5E27-43CF-4BC5-8750-997B32BDE609.jpeg 0833F9FF-E214-4670-A2AD-7DBCF98D6BC5.jpeg B4086C03-58C9-4299-990B-78C1ED732AF1.jpeg

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like velvet to me. I would start with copper in your hospital tank ASAP

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife said it looks like Ich, I’m worried it’s Brook because of the appearance Fortunately Ich and Velvet have the same treatment.
Ich has bigger particles fewer and further between. This loks like velvet because it has that "Sugar Coat"

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early Brook and Velvet present similarly. That being said your description says "stringy skin" and that is one of the descriptors of Brook. The skin sloughing or peeling off. It can be a quick killer you need to act fast.

A freshwater dip will relieve the fish of many of the parasites feeding upon it. Some even claim that freshwater dips over several days will eliminate the parasites completely. Here's the complete treatment from Humblefish.

Then, a bath in Ruby Reef Rally is highly recommended. The acriflavine in it really helps increase survival rates. It has both antibiotic and antiseptic properties. Highly recommend it.

OP
OP
Kryssie

Kryssie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich has bigger particles fewer and further between. This loks like velvet because it has that "Sugar Coat"
Thank you. I’m setting up the 55 gallon now. Should I bring the copper up to therapeutic level before I put the fish in, or do it slowly?

Also, should I do a FW dip or any kind of bath prior to transfer?

OP
OP
Kryssie

Kryssie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early Brook and Velvet present similarly. That being said your description says "stringy skin" and that is one of the descriptors of Brook. The skin sloughing or peeling off. It can be a quick killer you need to act fast.

A freshwater dip will relieve the fish of many of the parasites feeding upon it. Some even claim that freshwater dips over several days will eliminate the parasites completely. Here's the complete treatment from Humblefish.

Then, a bath in Ruby Reef Rally is highly recommended. The acriflavine in it really helps increase survival rates. It has both antibiotic and antiseptic properties. Highly recommend it.

Cupramine, Methylene Blue, Prazipro, Metroplex/Focus, Kanaplex, and Furan-2 are the only meds I have at the moment.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If skin looks like it's peeling off it could be Brooklynella. And clowns are notarious for having brook.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I was afraid of.
It is unfortunate, but good thing you caught it early. I hope all your fish survive. I also sometimes take risks and stop quarantine early to put fish in my display tank. Even after seeing posts like this. It's human nature. We think everything is fine until it happens to us. Then we learn the hard way.

OP
OP
Kryssie

Kryssie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unfortunate, but good thing you caught it early. I hope all your fish survive. I also sometimes take risks and stop quarantine early to put fish in my display tank. Even after seeing posts like this. It's human nature. We think everything is fine until it happens to us. Then we learn the hard way.
That’s what I did with all my original fish about 4 months ago and they were all doing great. Then I got a snow storm clown from the divers den last month and didn’t QT him. Now Bentley has looked pale and stringy for about five days.

I’ve been having literal nightmares about pulling the fish out of the tank again for the last two nights, so it’s time I act before they all die.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back