Suggestions for lighting upgrade

Cmarez93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 300 gallon mixed reef tank that I’m wanting to switch out the lighting on. Currently it has a MH and T5 combo on it, but the fixture is starting to have issues. I am on a budget so I’d like to stay around $500 or so for this project. I was thinking about picking up 3 used Kessil 360 lights but wasn’t sure if they’d be strong enough, my tank is mostly softies with some LPS, I may get some SPS in the future but I don’t plan on having that as my main focus by any means. The dimensions of the tank is 72x36x27, let me know what suggestions you all have.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 300 gallon mixed reef tank that I’m wanting to switch out the lighting on. Currently it has a MH and T5 combo on it, but the fixture is starting to have issues. I am on a budget so I’d like to stay around $500 or so for this project. I was thinking about picking up 3 used Kessil 360 lights but wasn’t sure if they’d be strong enough, my tank is mostly softies with some LPS, I may get some SPS in the future but I don’t plan on having that as my main focus by any means. The dimensions of the tank is 72x36x27, let me know what suggestions you all have.
Judging from all of the posts I've read from MH T5 users you won't be as happy with LED. As far as kessil go, you'll need 6 to get the right coverage using the 360's. I have 2 on my 90g and would prefer 2 more.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will be cheaper to fix your halides, if possible.

The only LEDs in your budget are the black box Amazon specials. 6 Kessils are the minimum for that size tank but 8-10 would be needed. The 360s barely cover an 18*18 area in real world use.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a 75, but I run 2 a360 and 4 t5s. I really like kessils lights but 3 by themselves over a 72" inch tank isn't going to be enough.

With a budget of 500 you may be better going straight t5s.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other option would be the 3 kessils and supplement with some LED strips. Even then you're still talking at least $1000

MichaelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a big tank. MH/T5 that you already have is going to be the most cost effective way to light it.
If you are set on moving to LEDs the only thing that would come close to that price point would be black box leds. You might be able to get away with 3 165w vipraspectra mounted perpendicular to the tank but 6 in front to back pattern would be much better

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur with everyone else! Led’s in that price range is gonna stick you with viparspectras or something similar and I would even then suggest swapping out led’s for a better spectrum. What exactly is wrong with your current lights? I have a 36” dual 250 watt halide with t5s just sitting in my fish room I’d sell you and it’s freshly taken apart and cleaned and all new 14k phoenix bulbs and ati t5s but even then it’s probably not a large enough light.

OP
OP
Cmarez93

Cmarez93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a big tank. MH/T5 that you already have is going to be the most cost effective way to light it.
If you are set on moving to LEDs the only thing that would come close to that price point would be black box leds. You might be able to get away with 3 165w vipraspectra mounted perpendicular to the tank but 6 in front to back pattern would be much better
I hadn’t heard of Vipraspectra lights before, I’ll have to look into them.

OP
OP
Cmarez93

Cmarez93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not afraid of diy, it would be pretty easy to replace the ballast in those lights.
I’ve replaced the MH and T5 ballasts on the fixture before. The MH uses an external ballast that is in between the fixture and outlet. The T5s are internal, I have replaced them with the manufacture replacement ballasts and they seem to need replacing about once a year or so, I’m not against retrofitting the fixture just want to get away from replacing parts every year or so.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for fixing the halide/T5 fixture. Less $$$, tried and true, won't be obsolete when the LED vendor decides to 'upgrade' to something new and not support it anymore, and they just look better in my opinion.

OP
OP
Cmarez93

Cmarez93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur with everyone else! Led’s in that price range is gonna stick you with viparspectras or something similar and I would even then suggest swapping out led’s for a better spectrum. What exactly is wrong with your current lights? I have a 36” dual 250 watt halide with t5s just sitting in my fish room I’d sell you and it’s freshly taken apart and cleaned and all new 14k phoenix bulbs and ati t5s but even then it’s probably not a large enough light.
I’ve had to replace the MH ballasts once and the T5s seem to go out about once a year or so. I’m thinking the heat from the MH bulbs is causing them to wear out prematurely. I’ve only been able to find the replacement parts from one retailer and am afraid of them running out of stock in the future.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 80.7%
  • Other.

Back