Suggestions for return pump for system -

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm slowly putting together a system I bought used -

I'm looking for return pumps. Does anyone have GPH suggestions or specific equipment suggestions they like for a similar cube aquarium? Any thoughts on AC vs DC? What are the benefits of a DC return pump? Thanks.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi ,DC ,slightly larger than needed, as you can run halfway up, will last longer ,produce less heat, less elec.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dc will generally be silent. AC pumps generally longevity is a known pan world, iwaki, etc 20+ years many examples out there, dc not alot of long term use to know. most dc pumps do not like alot of head pressure.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an under the stand type of tank, nearly any pump can handle that job.

AC are usually more reliable. DC you can control. The good DC pumps don't really save a ton of electricity over an AC if you choose well - you don't need to run a 250w AC pump when a 30w AC pump will work just as well. When you use AC pumps for a return, the head pressure slows them down and they use less electricity than advertised. In this type of situation, the electrical difference is going to be a rounding error, so I would look to other things.

For a tank like that, I would use a Fluval, Laguna, Eheim or Tunze in about the 500 GPH range. These are low wattage, reliable pumps that usually run for decades. Tunze 1073.20, Eheim 1260, Fluval SP2 but there are many, many others.

I use AC pumps because I don't want to worry about them at all. All of mine are 5+ years old and still going strong. I expect to get another 5-10 out of them.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's my concern with a DC is the longevity. I don't think I'll have much head pressure (maybe 5-6' of travel) and the thought of "controlling" it is nice, but I think I am going to aim for longevity with an AC pump rated around 1000 gph. I said I would try and keep this setup as simple as possible for awhile out of the gate. We'll see. There's a decent open box Sicce 5.0 on BRS I might snag....

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dc would be better in this situation since there wont likely be significant head pressure with the sump being directly under the tank.
Helps as well for adjusting flow due to the small weir for further reducing noise if the gph would end up being too much for it which results in extra noise.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I switched over to dc pumps because I liked how quiet they run.
I've used eheim, tunze fluval and still prefer dc like the Vectra.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
mag drive 9.5, will last forever, still running mags dated back to early 2000's...:)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Sicce 5.0 is over 100 watts and more than you need. Even if you want AC reliability, you can get one with half of that power, even when lowered by the head, that can handle your tank.

Nobody asked how big of a drain that you have, but I will be shocked if you need more than 400-500 GPH through that 80g tank.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm slowly putting together a system I bought used -

I'm looking for return pumps. Does anyone have GPH suggestions or specific equipment suggestions they like for a similar cube aquarium? Any thoughts on AC vs DC? What are the benefits of a DC return pump? Thanks.
Take the size of your aquarium, figure out how many times it takes to turn over 80 gal in an hour and that # will get pump gph, then pick a pump. 10 x hr for fish n reef or 20 x hr for seahorses. Works every time

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sicce SDC 6.0 WiFi. 5 year warranty. Great CS if you ever need it. Has a thermometer built in to help monitor temps. Silent. I love all of mine

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Sicce 5.0 is over 100 watts and more than you need. Even if you want AC reliability, you can get one with half of that power, even when lowered by the head, that can handle your tank.

Nobody asked how big of a drain that you have, but I will be shocked if you need more than 400-500 GPH through that 80g tank.
it says at 5 feet the pump is at 1000gph, if he has some 90s and /or any other plumbing restrictions it should be about right .

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, upon inspection that pump is overkill, but it's a good price. I'm picking the tank up this weekend so I'm just trying to get my "TO BUY LIST" made up and plan everything out. I'm trying to check the major purchase boxes off first.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze pump with a ball valve to control flow.
someone earlier mentioned the ball valve. That's a good tip. I think this is gonna be my "big" tank for awhile so I'm not sure I really want DC everything/mixed brands out of the gate so I have to run 7 apps. This will be in my office at work so any noise will just be cancelled out by my screaming. lol. But if I find a decent used DC I may snag it. Maybe buy a cheapie AC lifeguard pump and stick it on the shelf in case of emergencies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back