Sump tips?

BabyShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using a mechanical filter since I’ve had my 55 gallon marine tank and change the filter often. I would like to build my own sump with my 29 gallon tank sitting around. Aside from cleaning the tank, would the sump also help take care of corals and algae in the display tank? I’m also interested in building my own overflow. Nothing fancy. Any suggestions or tips for my build? Any equipment recommendations?
Thanks in advanced!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump can help by adding water volume and allowing a skimmer or refugium. I don't know anything about building an overflow but I know some people that use the eshopps overflow with a flex tube.

OP
OP
BabyShark

BabyShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump can help by adding water volume and allowing a skimmer or refugium. I don't know anything about building an overflow but I know some people that use the eshopps overflow with a flex tube.
What is the difference of using a refugium and skimmer?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference of using a refugium and skimmer?

You can use both if it fits. Skimmer take out waste before it breaks down into amonnia and phosphate, where as a refugium will remove nitrate and phosphate after its produced (it also has other benefits. If you have a heavily stocked tank, skimmers are nice, otherwise I usually like refugiums better IF you can't have both.

OP
OP
BabyShark

BabyShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use both if it fits. Skimmer take out waste before it breaks down into amonnia and phosphate, where as a refugium will remove nitrate and phosphate after its produced (it also has other benefits. If you have a heavily stocked tank, skimmers are nice, otherwise I usually like refugiums better IF you can't have both.
Awesome thanks!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back