SUMPS - The Rundown

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've included a (what I think to be) good design for a sump. I'm working on making it reality in a 15 gallon sump. I'm going to use a drawer organizer for holding the filter media. It's probably got a few kinks to be worked out, but overall I think its a fair design.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 8.49.23 PM.png

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pretty good plan overall, but I do see a couple of possible modifications you might want to make. Ideally, you'll want water to flow _through_ the carbon/purigen/chemi-pure bags, rather than over & past - though having an overflow for surplus current or in case the bags get clogged. Also, consider giving the skimmer its own chamber, where the level won't fluctuate as it may in the return chamber.

~Bruce

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I left room to the right was incase some clogs and needs to go through. Though honestly I could just drill a few holes in it and while it would decrease flow it would provide a failsafe. I'd love to add another chamber, but the only thing I can do is plumbing and basic carpentry, glass working is not my thing

Zonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 90 gallon tank with overflow and return on the right rear corner and have a question about most efficient way to plumb. Would it be ideal to have the overflow drain go straight down into the sump or to have the pump return water straight up into the return tubing? In other words, is it preferable to have a straight drop from over flow to sump or a straight rise from pump to the return? Thanks

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not certain that it makes _much_ difference, though you've got to take into account that your pump is probably pushing water up with a lot more force than gravity is pulling it down.

#reefsquad, any thoughts or opinions on Mr. Zonian's question?

~Bruce

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always liked to have my return pump go straight to the return to eliminate head height. I plumb the drain to the opposite side of the sump. Not sure it makes a significant difference but it's how the reef tank has always been set up.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've included a (what I think to be) good design for a sump. I'm working on making it reality in a 15 gallon sump. I'm going to use a drawer organizer for holding the filter media. It's probably got a few kinks to be worked out, but overall I think its a fair design.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 8.49.23 PM.png

Make sure you have a skimmer that doesn't create microbubbles as well. Most sumps have the skimmer section first to make sure the small bubbles that can come out of some skimmers don't make it back into the display tank.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return pump is appropriately sized I don't think it makes a difference. I would think the primary loss of flow with the return pump would be resistance from the elbows as the head height really isn't changed by the course the plumbing makes to get there.

I run a Bean Animal and a straight drop in the full siphon is a great help in getting the system to re-start properly after outages or if it's turned off for maintenance. If you're running a Durso/open standpipe I don't think even that matters.

Zonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. This is an Elos 120 aquarium which has a proprietary overflow system with one drain emptying into the sump. It apparently works very well, although I haven't yet seen it run in person. I think I'm going to go with the straight return piping (without elbows) to maximize efficiency of the return pump; in fact I'm considering a flexible PVC pipe for this purpose.

thatguy248

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return pump is appropriately sized I don't think it makes a difference. I would think the primary loss of flow with the return pump would be resistance from the elbows as the head height really isn't changed by the course the plumbing makes to get there.

I run a Bean Animal and a straight drop in the full siphon is a great help in getting the system to re-start properly after outages or if it's turned off for maintenance. If you're running a Durso/open standpipe I don't think even that matters.
Imoh

thatguy248

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not certain that it makes _much_ difference, though you've got to take into account that your pump is probably pushing water certainty with a lot more force than gravity is pulling it down.
ouu
#reefsquad, any thoughts or opoinions on Mr. Zonian's question?

~Bruce

6f8oryin

SirReefa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early on, I quickly came to the realization that I was having to adapt MY DESIGNS to the limitations of the 'off-the-shelf' sumps, skimmers, etc. that were available at that time..(making my job harder).. So I started designing my own hardware which offered the flexibility to work in the majority of my aquarium designs.. Then certain installations would require custom built filter designs.. (A lot of work!) But After nearly 15 years (of 8 day weeks) designing / building / aquascaping / (curating) & maintainting CUSTOM REEF aquariums, I know one thing (w/o question) 'SIMPLICITY IS THE KEY'.

Because the bottom line is starting & OWNING a reef tank is a LONG TERM COMMITMENT (you owe it to every animal to provide nothing less than optimal conditions) & in order to 'Enjoy' your efforts, you want/need to make every consideration to 'minimize your maintenance'..
My advice to anyone starting their 1st 'endeavor' with 'their' reef tank.. Is to 'spend a great deal of time' PLANNING YOUR DESIGN FOR THE LONG TERM..
(Either do it 1000% RIGHT.. or DON'T DO IT)..

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion is that a sump should be more custom built for the aquarium, it makes it so much easier and more reliable for the reefer. However my regret is that I now want to change my sump a bit, it would have been really cool to add interchangeable parts.

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 90 gal with a sump. (Amazing price! Only $150) I'm new to sumps, and the hobby in general so I looked the sump up, and the design is originally for emerged media but I want submerged. Am I able to customize it to my liking? It seems like I should be able to. It is a megaflow sump filtration model 3.... it is rated for aquariums up to 110 gallons.

molinast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can’t tell if I missed it and probably would go in a plumbing section but don’t forget check valves and unions when setting up the sump. I made this mistake and had to replumb the whole sump area.

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a common design for a 20L or a calculator for layouts?
I am setting up a 65g and want to run a sock area, skimmer ( bubble magus c5.5 ) an area for crushed gravel/small rubble/chaeto and pump ( dcs-9000 )

Mark Fireblade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I’m new to this. I’ve got a fresh water 6 ft tank and 4ft sump. I have filter wool on top of filter pads. Next chamber bio balls next chamber marine pure. Is this correct and what els can I do to better the filtration heard biopure is the best.? Ththanx in advance.

Back