Surprise Attack - The fish you never excpected to bite

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we know some fish are notorious for biting when your hand is in the tank, clown fish for example. My clown used to bite when I got to close to her territory but she gave up in pretty short order and now just bluffs. My desjardini tang got me a few times but was just mistaking my arm hair for algae and was having a taste.

The one fish I never expected the attacks from though is my starry blenny. He is relentless and continues to strike over and over whenever I have my hand in the tank. Besides that, he drops sand on some of my coarls, probably just so I have to stick my hand in the tank so he can have another shot at me . Had another starry blenny in the past and it never paid any attention to me.

So I'm curious, what fish do you have that bite you that you never expected?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third vote for a Starry Blenny (a.k.a. Lawnmower Blenny). I get nipped any time my hand is within 5" of his/her cave. And, doh, I never seem to learn...
Same Genus, but different species. Starry is Salarius ramosus. Lawnmower is S. faciatus. Never had my starry mess with me although he follows me around the tank. Royal gramma on the other hand is like a chihuahua!

OP
OP
Beardo

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same Genus, but different species. Starry is Salarius ramosus. Lawnmower is S. faciatus. Never had my starry mess with me although he follows me around the tank. Royal gramma on the other hand is like a chihuahua!
LOL, chihuahua is perfect description, never had a royal gramma act like that.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s odd, but all my fish I’ve gotten tiny tiny. So since babies they’ve been used to me messing with the tank. Most are tame enough to hand feed as full grown adults, but none have ever bit or showed hostility towards me. Triggers, puffers, clowns,
multiple tangs, rabbit fish, eels, wrasses

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Maroon clown. . . well I get it but a Percula??

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female Snowflake clown has recently started attacking me, regardless of where my hand/arm is in the tank. She used to only dart or nip me if I got too close to her territory. I’m watching for signs of egg laying, in the meantime I’m getting beat up by a 3” fish! She hasn’t broke the skin yet, but there are visible marks on my arms.
A2A6F5FB-A335-4BDE-AE6E-1D5E8B01547E.jpeg

halfdoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My starry blenny, Cosmo, is exactly the same way. I swear he does it to me on purpose. Bites me everytime I put my hand in and everytime I think I have made it without him biting he gets me again!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back