SW Noob here!

FizxVix3n

Feb2018 1st SW tank - BC29
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’ve stalked this forum for a long time and finally became a 2 year supporting member! Yay! I have had FW tanks for a long time and got a biocube 29 for Christmas a while ago. It has sat (sadly) with dry rock for long enough and I am ready to get it wet! We had some construction going on near the tank and for the safety of my future critters I did not want to begin until I knew things would be quiet around them. Well here we go! Thanks to all of you for the amazing education so far, I cannot wait to jump in and keep learning!

A bit about myself... I’m a medical physicist in radiation oncology and I have a 2 year old daughter who loves “fishies!” as much as I do. I cannot wait to share my passion and love for the ocean with her. Together we are going to learn and care for our new family members.

Looking forward to getting to know you on a personal level! ~ Lindsey

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Lindsey and thank you for joining. Lot's of great folks here to help you along your new journey. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You've joined a great family who will be more than happy to guide you through the ups and downs of this wonderful/occasionally frustrating hobby. Here there are no stupid questions and yes every question has probably been asked numerous times but we're all still happy to answer them all over. You've taken roughly the same route as I have spending years researching and starting with what I would call a large nano. I'm really happy I went this way and I'm sure you will be too.

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
I'm noob minus 5 weeks. This forum is great, lots of good articles and posts to follow.

Shop around on Kijiji, you might be surprised at what you can get dirt cheap. If you don't have a spare small tank, get one to use a quarantine tank (QT) - you'll see lots of posts on that here.
I bought some fish from different LFS (local fish store) without doing a QT - got the dreaded white spots - either Ich or Velvet and lost fish. Now I QT and will always QT.

You could make a game out of it, the smaller tank with QT fish in your daughter's bedroom - they are growing up - and will graduate to the main tank after a couple of months.
Gives you time to setup a reef tank separately, making it healthy first before adding fish.

I started off with two Kijiji finds, what I call rescue tanks, where the owners got rid of everything (except the tank itself). So a bunch of small Rubbermaid containers, and put it all in the same larger tank. With fish. Then trouble (big trouble) began.

So my advice is to start small. Had I simply kept the very first rescue, and gotten that healthy first. Then QT any new arrivals (fish and rocks QT separately) before adding to the main tank, I'd have 5 extra fish right now.

I picked up a 5gallon tank for 5$, and a 3 footer for 50$ complete with stand & filter system. They make great QTs.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You both have got quite the adventure ahead. One suggestion; let her name some of the fish. You'll end up with Dory and Nimo, but you can also end up with things like (my daughter's favorite) "Peek-a-go". ;-)

In case you've not already seen it, this is great place to start!

sh4rkbyt3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best wishes to you Lindsey. I can still remember my first tank (30 gallon) and how excited and intriguing it was to finally switch out from the FW scene.

Take your time and enjoy your successes. There might be a few little bumpy roads ahead but I promise you once things get settled down and the routine builds, you and your daughter will be very pleased :).

I mean what's more exciting than having an ocean in your living room? Seriously ;).

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Please keep us posted with your build when you fill it up, with lots of photos! :)

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here we go! Thanks to all of you for the amazing education so far, I cannot wait to jump in and keep learning!

A bit about myself... I’m a medical physicist in radiation oncology and I have a 2 year old daughter who loves “fishies!” as much as I do. I cannot wait to share my passion and love for the ocean with her. Together we are going to learn and care for our new family members.

Welcome to R2R Lindsey! I am just starting out as well and I think the key for all of us, especially the newbies, is to have passion and be prepared to keep learning! On a side note, I used to be RSO for a medical device company - and quickly realized that the doses you all administer are much higher (but super short half-life) than I ever would have guessed!:D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back