Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the advice of several people, I have moved my "ATO with 3 Sensors/pH Influenced" thread to the GHL Advanced Technology forum:

I know madweazi first recommended this but I couldn't find where to find the GHL Forum.
(I looked harder this time! Sorry for the inconvenience!)

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any questions just ask. You won't be disappointed with the GHL equipment.
Ken
Thanks.
If you have the KH Director, how much does it pull from the tank for each test? Ive heard between 50 to 100 ml.

I might start with the KH Director, then get the Profilux after. It is cool to be able to pick without being milked into buying a full system, just to run one part.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
If you have the KH Director, how much does it pull from the tank for each test? Ive heard between 50 to 100 ml.

I might start with the KH Director, then get the Profilux after. It is cool to be able to pick without being milked into buying a full system, just to run one part.
It's about 80ml per test. I just put the test water back into my system.
Make sure you purchase the standalone if you don't have the P4 controller.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@joshwaggs - I have two KHD running both have been running great and highly recommend them.

You can set your sample size to be between 50 - 100ml, but would like to add it does use a little more then the sample amount to allow for the flush cycle that happens at the test.

Yes you can purchase the KHD as a stand alone and later on conned it to the P4 by changing the dower 2.1 settings from a master to a slave.

Last edited:

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@joshwaggs - I have two KHD running both have been running great and highly recommend them.

You can set your sample size to be between 50 - 100ml, but would like to add it does use a little more then the sample amount to allow for the flush cycle that happens at the test.

Yes you can purchase the KHD as a stand alone and later on conned it to the P4 by changing the dower 2.1 settings from a master to a slave.
First, thanks for the information for the KH Director. I would like to get the controller too, but BRS only has the KH Director (and its on sale). Marine Depot has all the GHL stuff, but nothing on sale.

Second, I went through this entire post. It is awesome. Thanks for doing all that!
Im in the process of trying to decide which system to use Apex, GHL, or something else. I have been searching for information and reviews of GHL for a few months and have put off switching, because of it. This post is exactly what I was looking for.

Fine Print:
I have the Apex classic that has been working flawlessly over 5 years. That said, the problems with the new one, along with the fact that Im forced buy a whole new system just to be able to use the Trident, just makes my butt itch. Add the bad customer service and the idea of having to use forums of fanboys to fix/change things, and it just pushes people to spend their money somewhere else.

Personally, I think the Trident is the better option over the KH Director, but not enough to let some company kick me in the knee, take the money, and laugh. On top of that, it seems like whenever someone asks about problems with the Apex, or says anything bad about Neptune, they get attacked, threads locked, or just ignored. I just cant understand that. The confirmation bias is strong with that product, I guess. Heck, it is almost therapeutic to just read through some of the comments in this thread and know Im not the only person that notices some of this stuff.

Zach Galifianakis Thank You GIF

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@joshwaggs -

Yes, without a doubt I would do it all over again. I still kick myself for not doing it sooner.

I do also own both the P4e, P4, and the mini.

Are you going to use the salinity Probe to start? If you are going to want to monitor salinity then getting the P4 to start with allows you to keep the two internal slots free for later expansion. If you go with the p4e you can add a salinity card leaving you one free slot..

You can not go wrong with either as they both use the same firmware, upgrade and behave the same exact way.

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@joshwaggs -

Yes, without a doubt I would do it all over again. I still kick myself for not doing it sooner.

I do also own both the P4e, P4, and the mini.

Are you going to use the salinity Probe to start? If you are going to want to monitor salinity then getting the P4 to start with allows you to keep the two internal slots free for later expansion. If you go with the p4e you can add a salinity card leaving you one free slot..

You can not go wrong with either as they both use the same firmware, upgrade and behave the same exact way.
Eh, I have never used the salinity probes. I avoided them because they had really bad reviews. Is GHLs better/different than the rest?

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them running on all my saltwater tanks. In the three years, I had one stop working correctly because I damaged it before putting it back in the tank.

I calibrate them every 6 months, and had no issues.

if your not going to use the salinity probe then for sure for sure go for the P4e.

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some dumb questions, maybe not even stuff this group can answer (maybe @Vinny@GHLUSA ?) , but:

The KH Director: I have a fairly small tank. 80ml is a pretty large amount of water. It will require making sure to replace the 80ml at least every other or every few tests, to keep salinity stable. Is there a way, or maybe an update coming, that will let the KH Director run tests with less water?

KH Director Waste: If there is no way or planned updates to use less water for tests, I know that some people just put the waste back into the tank. Is that generally safe? What are the risks?
o Anyone that does this, what is your tank size and have you ever noticed any problems?

The ION Director: I know it isnt out yet, but what is the purpose of testing sodium and potassium? Is the sodium testing augmenting or supplementing the salinity probe?

The Touch Pad: Where is that thing? I can't find it anywhere. It looks like the older Profilux had it, but it isnt listed in anything with the new Profilux.

Thanks

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some dumb questions, maybe not even stuff this group can answer (maybe @Vinny@GHLUSA ?) , but:

The KH Director: I have a fairly small tank. 80ml is a pretty large amount of water. It will require making sure to replace the 80ml at least every other or every few tests, to keep salinity stable. Is there a way, or maybe an update coming, that will let the KH Director run tests with less water?

KH Director Waste: If there is no way or planned updates to use less water for tests, I know that some people just put the waste back into the tank. Is that generally safe? What are the risks?
o Anyone that does this, what is your tank size and have you ever noticed any problems?

The ION Director: I know it isnt out yet, but what is the purpose of testing sodium and potassium? Is the sodium testing augmenting or supplementing the salinity probe?

The Touch Pad: Where is that thing? I can't find it anywhere. It looks like the older Profilux had it, but it isnt listed in anything with the new Profilux.

Thanks
As you say, a few people have been returning the waste to their tanks and I've not heard of any issues. I don't myself. Aside from anything else there is a little bit of blue colouring in the reagent...

The touchpad was discontinued. Not sure if it's being replaced. A cheap tablet costs less than it did and the app does everything it did and more. But the connectivity is the advantage it had.

Good questions on the Ion Director. Maybe ask over in one of those threads or start a new one? From what I understand sodium and salinity aren't related in the way one would think though.

Cheers, Tony

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you say, a few people have been returning the waste to their tanks and I've not heard of any issues. I don't myself. Aside from anything else there is a little bit of blue colouring in the reagent...

The touchpad was discontinued. Not sure if it's being replaced. A cheap tablet costs less than it did and the app does everything it did and more. But the connectivity is the advantage it had.

Good questions on the Ion Director. Maybe ask over in one of those threads or start a new one? From what I understand sodium and salinity aren't related in the way one would think though.

Cheers, Tony
Thanks!

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AZMSGT - hope this helps

For the 1-10V port you have your Breeze set it to the Temperature Port you want to impact the Breeze as shown here:

88089D88-4297-4316-8970-59CDC4506F7A.png

01FC2524-3B14-4D8C-AE4C-6E94FA407C8D.png

And on the Temperature Probe set the 1-10V Max at Deviation of X degrees.
In my setup it is 2 degrees this means the fans will be at full power when the temp of my tank is 2 degrees approx at 78.45 degrees.

30EF3896-BD8F-4D09-AE2D-8D245561D7DE.png

It does not mean they are not kicking on before then because you can already see I was applying over two volts and my tank was at 76.8 degrees.

5C4226C1-307D-4C87-9D9D-586318A76765.png

@Ditto - Hi! I realize this is an old post, but I'm currently in process of setting up my various new ghl components. Last night, it was time for the Propeller Controller and 6-fan Breeze. I am running 2 heaters with 2 temperatures (created a virtual copy) and was hitting a snag somewhere. I found this thread and followed your examples above and... the fans started right up!

Thank you again for your instruction, advice, research, willingness to help... I'm not sure if you are aware of the appreciation and gratitude felt by all of us ghl rookies but I can tell you, it's A LOT!!

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title of the thread says it all. I am not going to bash Neptune systems, all I am going to say mine crashed again, and the word fluke in the technical response left me going I cannot take any more chances. This was my second hard crash of the system, where both time the system came up in an inconsistent state and caused issues.

What I currently Have:
Apex 2016
FMM (Fluid Monitor)
WAV Controller (Went back to my Vortech)
Additional PM1 and PM2 Module used to Monitor Reactors
LSM Module (Lunar simulation)
Leak Detector
Multiple EB832/EB8
ASM Module
Multiple Displays

What I have Ordered:
ProFilux 4 Ultimate Set
PLM-PH-Redox and PH probes * 2
2 Level Sensors (ATO)
3 Power Bar 5.1
Expansion Box
Proflux Touch (Downstairs Sump Display)
Vortech Controller
Mitras Simu-Stick
Mitras Simu-Driver
Temperature-Sensor
5000 l/h Flow-sensor
9000 l/h flow sensor * 2
Assortment of PAB Cables to connect everything
PL-LY cables to Connect

Not ordered yet:
Leak Detectors
New ¼ Relays (I use these as safety I may see if I can re-wire the apex ones or try)
And what the solution will be for PAR readings as I have a ASM module (idea’s welcomed as I may also swap out my CebruSun T5 with Mitras LED)

My plan is to post the actual switching out of the components, and how I converted the programming from my Apex to GHL. Join the discussion, have some fun asking questions or answering some of mine, and I will attempt to show as much as possible!!
Really interested to follow your progress. Does GHL monitor Nitrate and Phosphate in tank water? Does anyone? Is this 2021?? (Apologies for the hyperbole)

However, it feels ridiculous that the companies cannot produce reliable monitors and probes for an aquarium, when sensors and colorimeters have been there forever.

The aquarium equipment hobby needs a serious disruption. In the industry's defense though, it has come a long way. The last time i was in this hobby (2011) LED lights were just coming out (and were ridiculously expensive). T5s were still kinda the new-ish kid in the block, and tank-monitors were mostly DIY, or insanely priced. Someone will take this industry by storm for sure. As they say down here in TX - "The only cure for high prices, is high prices".

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unit is Powered up, flashing Red (No probes Connected)

Since the unit is constructed in Germany, English is not the default on the display.

IMG_1076.JPG

Press the Check Mark on the unit to bring up the Menu using the arrow keys scroll down until you Highlight Extra That the easy one it was in English on the Menu

Once in the Extra menu using the arrow keys scroll down until you highlight Language oh wait Sprache hehe and again press the Check Mark

IMG_1077.JPG

Using the arrow keys scroll down until you highlight Language you wish to have your unit use, and press the check mark

IMG_1078.JPG

Sorry German is Rusty hehe, but I think this is Are you Sure hehe. Using the arrows click the one to the left to highlight ja and then press the check mark (Mine asked for me to do it twice)
IMG_1079.JPG

Whooohoo it now in English
My German is very rusty too, but I think Tastengeraeusch is asking if you want it to make a sound when you press a button...."touch sound".

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back