Switching from ESV B-ionic 2 part

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gal with 30g long sump. Skimmer is in return compartment followed by refugium, then return chamber. I don't have a lot of coral right now. I have some zoa, mushrooms, acan, torch coral, anemone. My Sps didn't make it through summer temp swings. I have an Apex now. Tank has been running for a year.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bionic is much more concentrated so you will use much more elements to keep parameters the same. In my tank I went from 45 ml bionic 2 part to 120 ml of elements 1,2and 3A/B. When I switched from bionic I already had an established refigium yet I still got a lot of algae in my DT. all the micronutrient really benefit algae so to combat nuisance algae I really had to stay on top of my phosphates.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bionic is much more concentrated so you will use much more elements to keep parameters the same. In my tank I went from 45 ml bionic 2 part to 120 ml of elements 1,2and 3A/B. When I switched from bionic I already had an established refigium yet I still got a lot of algae in my DT. all the micronutrient really benefit algae so to combat nuisance algae I really had to stay on top of my phosphates.
45 to 120ml of each?
So if I'm dosing 10ml of each 2 part, where should I start with Elementz?

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still start with the amount that is recommended by triton, which was low in my tank. It's better to start off on the low side of Alk than the high side and since you will be checking your Alk daily for the first week or two, you will be making frequent crashes adjustments so your Alk won't get too out of whack.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended spacing throughout the day for the four elements...does it matter or should certain elements be dosed at night, some in day?

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spreading out the dosing through out the 24 hour period would be better than all at once.
Ok so just spread each of them evenly over 24hrs?... No need to be concerned with alk at night, cal at day? Correct?

All four get dosed in equal proportions?

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - You will need a separate carbonate or bicarbonate to adjust the DKH to 8. Dose the elementz equally through out the 24 hour period. Stagger the dosing or dose away from each other in separate areas in the return chamber.
Just monitor the DHK. If the DKH is low say 7 DKH then use the carbonate or bicarbonate to put the DKH back to 8 and raise the elementz dosing.
After about two weeks you will get dialed in and you can monitor the DKH weekly and then every two weeks.
The calcium and the magnesium will fall out of sink. Don't worry, no need to chase the numbers and drive yourself crazy. Every thing will fall in place with this method.
Just monitor the DKH, so easy.
You're going to experience the coral growth, consuming more and more Elementz consumption.
Let the good, the bad, and the ugly algae grow in the refugium. Add every kind of algae you can get your hands on to the refugium.

I started the elementz the first week last December and these were just frags!
PA250001_zpsjvea2pxy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - You will need a separate carbonate or bicarbonate to adjust the DKH to 8. Dose the elementz equally through out the 24 hour period. Stagger the dosing or dose away from each other in separate areas in the return chamber.
Just monitor the DHK. If the DKH is low say 7 DKH then use the carbonate or bicarbonate to put the DKH back to 8 and raise the elementz dosing.
After about two weeks you will get dialed in and you can monitor the DKH weekly and then every two weeks.
The calcium and the magnesium will fall out of sink. Don't worry, no need to chase the numbers and drive yourself crazy. Every thing will fall in place with this method.
Just monitor the DKH, so easy.
You're going to experience the coral growth, consuming more and more Elementz consumption.
Let the good, the bad, and the ugly algae grow in the refugium. Add every kind of algae you can get your hands on to the refugium.

I started the elementz the first week last December and these were just frags!
PA250001_zpsjvea2pxy.jpg
What do you mean by separate carbonate (or bicarbonate)?

roer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the idea was to adjust the alkalinity with the elementz ?? Is it not the way to dial things in ? That is to keep increasing the dosage, until an alkalinity of 8 is reached ?

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so just spread each of them evenly over 24hrs?... No need to be concerned with alk at night, cal at day? Correct?

All four get dosed in equal proportions?

Not exactly. When you mix the elements, part 1 makes 10 liters, part 2 makes 10 liters, part 3 and part 4 are mixed together with 8 liters of RODI to make 10 liters of part 3A/3B. You dose the 3A/3B solution in equal volume to parts 1 and 2. If you are keeping parts 3A and 3 B in separate containers then you would dose both of those half the amount of parts 1 and 2.

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly. When you mix the elements, part 1 makes 10 liters, part 2 makes 10 liters, part 3 and part 4 are mixed together with 8 liters of RODI to make 10 liters of part 3A/3B. You dose the 3A/3B solution in equal volume to parts 1 and 2. If you are keeping parts 3A and 3 B in separate containers then you would dose both of those half the amount of parts 1 and 2.

Its probably easier if dosing all four parts separately to just create 10 liters of each solution and dose all four channels the same every day. Rather than dose 3a and 3b at half the amount. Having the solutions less concentrated may also aid in the prevention of less precipitation in the lines and sump output.

Back