Switching tanks, when can I add an anenome?

StarterSaltWater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Fluval Evo 13.5 reef that has been running for over a year and I have just purchased / set up an Innovative Marine Fusion 40 AIO to swap everything over once the tank is cycled properly. I have never kept an anenome but am aware they move around and will sting / kill corals. My question is post-cycle, wouldn't it be the best time to add an anenome to the tank with my clown fish to start so the anenome can settle into position before I swap my corals over to prevent them from being smoked by a moving anenome, or is this a huge no no due to tank age?

I am uncertain if swapping all of that media over will qualify as "mature" media to enhance my Fusion 40 allowing me to do so since I am starting the 40 with dry rock. I have read many conflicting posts that tanks need to be many different ages of set up prior to adding an anenome, but what is everyone doing that has also swapped tanks in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have a Fluval Evo 13.5 reef that has been running for over a year and I have just purchased / set up an Innovative Marine Fusion 40 AIO to swap everything over once the tank is cycled properly. I have never kept an anenome but am aware they move around and will sting / kill corals. My question is post-cycle, wouldn't it be the best time to add an anenome to the tank with my clown fish to start so the anenome can settle into position before I swap my corals over to prevent them from being smoked by a moving anenome, or is this a huge no no due to tank age?

I am uncertain if swapping all of that media over will qualify as "mature" media to enhance my Fusion 40 allowing me to do so since I am starting the 40 with dry rock. I have read many conflicting posts that tanks need to be many different ages of set up prior to adding an anenome, but what is everyone doing that has also swapped tanks in this situation?

Thanks in advance!
I think it would qualify as cycled if you transfer all of your stuff over (but then what will you use for the old tank - while waiting for the anemone to establish itself? And yes - I agree with you - it COULD be best to add the anemone first - for a couple reasons - 1 - ease of removal in case there is a problem, 2 - it can establish itself. With the following caveat. Even after it establishes itself - it can still move around (after you add your corals). Since you're moving from such a small tank to a much larger tank - my guess is that there will be plenty of space for the anemone. When I have bought anemones - I try to buy the rock onto which they are attached as well (assuming the tank looks healthy, etc) - and then QT it looking for problems. Then they tend to stay put more often.

This seems disjointed - but I think the bottom line is there is no perfect way to do it

OP
OP
S

StarterSaltWater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would qualify as cycled if you transfer all of your stuff over (but then what will you use for the old tank - while waiting for the anemone to establish itself? And yes - I agree with you - it COULD be best to add the anemone first - for a couple reasons - 1 - ease of removal in case there is a problem, 2 - it can establish itself. With the following caveat. Even after it establishes itself - it can still move around (after you add your corals). Since you're moving from such a small tank to a much larger tank - my guess is that there will be plenty of space for the anemone. When I have bought anemones - I try to buy the rock onto which they are attached as well (assuming the tank looks healthy, etc) - and then QT it looking for problems. Then they tend to stay put more often.

This seems disjointed - but I think the bottom line is there is no perfect way to do it
I appreciate the reply!

As for transferring the media, I have a compartment in the Fluval that is full of Marine Pure Bio Balls that I would switch over to the 40. I'm currently cycling that tank with ammonia and Microbacter Start XLM as I've had great success with that in the past. I would leave the 10lbs of rock in the Fluval along with water changes for a week or so while the anemone settles I suppose before I transfer the corals only and ditch that rock since I have some algae issues going on in there. I may just wing it that way!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your plan is fine
Best to add the nem first as to avoid conflicts.
Im guessing you will add a bubble tip.
Besides Mushrooms they are prob one of the hardiest nems.
You want to be sure water is stable.
No alk, temp or salinity swings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back