Symbiodinium. Got any treatment ideas?

Deltec

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
I am only too happy to hear input on this seemingly rare situation. You are either a repeat on the Fluc suggestion or the second. I have been a first person witness to a Fluc driven SPS wipeout so this option freaks me out too much. I've seen it work on bryopsis really well also without any collateral damage. I keep too much fancy-a** named tenuis for me to attempt tho. Homewrecker, SCOP, Cherry B, and a ton of POTO stuff.

Do you have any micro pics of your ugly stuff by chance?
Unfortunately I don't. I am 100% sure they were chryso's though. I've had them in all 3 setups I've run over the last 3 years.

OP
S

ScottB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Once I get through an iich outbreak, I am going to add a one spot foxface to the DT. So far, it is the only pattern I can find.

IF foxface > 0, THEN chrysopytes = 0

The water is shared water.

OP
S

ScottB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey @SMSREEF I saw you on a Chrysophyte thread with a picture that perfectly matches something I am dealing with.

Can you share your resolution technique? This has been going on for quite a while for me. I don't know whether it is cause or effect, but it is replacing all of my very old coralline.

I have pics of the stuff in the initial posts. Thanks.

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
I don't mean to post something that might add to any confusion or misinformation, but, I think I've been having some of these same troubles...

I have a RS 250 Reefer that is about 18 months old that started with dry rock and a bare bottom. Mostly SPS with a few LPS and a half dozen fish. Over the past 18 months I've had all sorts of startup troubles with algae (turf, green hair, bubble, Bryopsis, ...).

Moths ago I started getting this stringy algae growing on my rocks. It soon was almost everywhere... I was pretty easy to suck it up with a turkey baster but it just seemed to keep growing. Was pretty sure it was Dinos so I installed an 18w UV in/out of my DT and it might have helped a little bit but the stuff wasn't going away. Started adding MicroBacter7 and SpongeExcel to outcompete them and again had limited success and was still sucking them out almost every day.

As I read more about the bacterial limitations of dry rock, and becoming very frustrated, I went to my local coral shop and picked up about 10 Lbs of their live rock. In about a week I started to see a noticeable improvement and after a few weeks it was essentially gone :)

Many weeks later I started to see it again in a few specific spots. Again started sucking it up but it wasn't going away. All this time my water parameters were both good and pretty stable. I was getting encrusting and growth on my coral and, as best as I could figure, nothing had changed in my tank.

Most recent re-appearance...

Recently, I had some degradation in the silicone seam of my tank. After sharing pictures with Red Sea they sent me a new display tank. After the 36 hours drama of swapping out the two tanks, I put most of the original rocks back in. I saw a few spots where this stringy algae was again waving hello at me, but, this time after sucking it out - it has stayed gone for the past week!

I don't think it is a function of water parameters. The only appreciable change for me was in increase in Phosphate after the tank replacement (from ~.06 to ~.13) - Alk, Salinity, Mag, Nitrate, temp, PH, etc. all were pretty stable during and after the move. I also dont' think it was the 36 hours without lights because I've tried lights out for 2 day from my earlier trouble with no success.

But something disrupted some balance, I'm now thinking bacterial, that has suppressed this stuff's growth this time around...

Not certain if my story is going to be helpful to you, but, if this is the same trouble you're facing I wanted to share my thoughts.

Good luck to us all...

OP
S

ScottB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't mean to post something that might add to any confusion or misinformation, but, I think I've been having some of these same troubles...

I have a RS 250 Reefer that is about 18 months old that started with dry rock and a bare bottom. Mostly SPS with a few LPS and a half dozen fish. Over the past 18 months I've had all sorts of startup troubles with algae (turf, green hair, bubble, Bryopsis, ...).

Moths ago I started getting this stringy algae growing on my rocks. It soon was almost everywhere... I was pretty easy to suck it up with a turkey baster but it just seemed to keep growing. Was pretty sure it was Dinos so I installed an 18w UV in/out of my DT and it might have helped a little bit but the stuff wasn't going away. Started adding MicroBacter7 and SpongeExcel to outcompete them and again had limited success and was still sucking them out almost every day.

As I read more about the bacterial limitations of dry rock, and becoming very frustrated, I went to my local coral shop and picked up about 10 Lbs of their live rock. In about a week I started to see a noticeable improvement and after a few weeks it was essentially gone :)

Many weeks later I started to see it again in a few specific spots. Again started sucking it up but it wasn't going away. All this time my water parameters were both good and pretty stable. I was getting encrusting and growth on my coral and, as best as I could figure, nothing had changed in my tank.

Most recent re-appearance...

Recently, I had some degradation in the silicone seam of my tank. After sharing pictures with Red Sea they sent me a new display tank. After the 36 hours drama of swapping out the two tanks, I put most of the original rocks back in. I saw a few spots where this stringy algae was again waving hello at me, but, this time after sucking it out - it has stayed gone for the past week!

I don't think it is a function of water parameters. The only appreciable change for me was in increase in Phosphate after the tank replacement (from ~.06 to ~.13) - Alk, Salinity, Mag, Nitrate, temp, PH, etc. all were pretty stable during and after the move. I also dont' think it was the 36 hours without lights because I've tried lights out for 2 day from my earlier trouble with no success.

But something disrupted some balance, I'm now thinking bacterial, that has suppressed this stuff's growth this time around...

Not certain if my story is going to be helpful to you, but, if this is the same trouble you're facing I wanted to share my thoughts.

Good luck to us all...
Thanks for sharing and yeah, this looks very familiar to me. Glad you have some resolution and hope it holds for you.

I really thought this would just pass but it hasn't. Not worse, not better over the last several months. I had been allowing my PO4 to creep up a bit over time, so maybe we share some commonality there. I am gradually bringing it back down under .1 with lanthanum chloride.

I did also buy some live gulf rock but had to get some suspected bryopsis out of it (with Fluc). It is pretty much ready to go just need some time to rip out one of my existing rock stacks and replace. There is a fair amount of SPS I will need to chop through.

Again, thanks for sharing; I am surprised this isn't more common.

Last edited:
Fritz
OP
S

ScottB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well I have continued with my "steady as she goes" strategy and it is getting me nowhere. I am a little hampered in how much stuff I can move around right now given a minor iich outbreak in the display. Which brings me to another observation.

I believe that this stuff has some toxic properties for fish at least. On two different occasions, life got in the way of my regular basting routine and the stuff really got going. Once in basement LPS frag and once on my display. I got out my Maxjet 1200 and blasted ALL of the stuff into the water column while running a polishing canister for about an hour to clear up the water.

I came back to dead fish. Not all the fish died but 4 died the first time and 1 just this past Saturday morning.

I am guessing the stress of this toxin is what kicked off the ich outbreak in the display. I have not had a fish DISPLAY ich since right after startup on this system. Even my Powder Blue never had it before this.

Still no real progress to report against symbio/chrysophyte. Still a little bit of GHA in a few pockets.

Deltec

Do you have a battery backup plan in place?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 142 38.2%
  • NO

Votes: 210 56.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 5.4%
Omega Sea, LLC