System Size Considerations

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m planning a tank upgrade soon. I thought I was set on the Red Sea reefer 250, with a 65g system capacity, but am now heavily leaning towards the 170, with a 43g system capacity.

I’m coming from a 17g tank, no sump, with maybe 14g of actual water. I’ve had nothing but problems with acroporas and feel it’s the small tank size magnifying the stability problems.

Will 43g total be enough to make a difference here? I’m considering using my current 17g tank to replace the 9g sump tank that comes with the Red Sea reefer for a small boost in water capacity.

My reason for the 170 over the 250, aside from price, is that I reall only want a few fish. Some anthias, my current clown, and maybe a goby or wrassse.

I’m focusing on acroporas and other sps. So, should this 34g (43g total) give me enough of an upgrade, or should I really bite the bullet and plan for the 250 instead?

Thanks!
Matt

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank size is important. Stability is key, and larger volumes of water give you room for error. Larger tanks give more room for corals. Your tank maturity is everything. Think big, with lots of room to grow. Think long-term. Buy quality equipment once. My best advice: KISS - keep it simple stupid.

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about going bigger is that I’d need to buy new lights, powerhead, and heating. So, it’s not just the tank itself, it’s all the support equipment. For example:

The 250 glass thickness takes me out the the mp10 range and right into the mp40 range - $300 used
The 250 is 36in long vs 24in - Need another light - $350 plus hanging kit

So, does the extra grand (250 is $400 more) im looking at truly buy me THAT much more stability?

When I got my Porsche Boxster, I made up my mind that I needed the S model, only to find out that the base is plenty fast and the S is rediculously fast. S set me back another $10k though.

Edit: I know it seems like I’m asking to be convinced into the 170, but I’m not :)

I like to overconsider everything. So, if the 250, why not the 350? :)

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 200 gal system, and the added water volume makes a big difference. I recently started dosing with a doser and purchased a ATO as well. Recently, my Tunze ATO, $200.00, failed, and added 2-3 gallons of R/O to the system. I use 5 gallon containers for R/O, and both 2-part solutions. I’ve added as much as 4 gallons with a air hose once with no ill effects.

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 200 gal system, and the added water volume makes a big difference. I recently started dosing with a doser and purchased a ATO as well. Recently, my Tunze ATO, $200.00, failed, and added 2-3 gallons of R/O to the system. I use 5 gallon containers for R/O, and both 2-part solutions. I’ve added as much as 4 gallons with a air hose once with no ill effects.

On my agenda of things to do, for the future, is a reef controller to limit how long a dosing pump or ato can run.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back