T5 lighting

machome79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am putting a 135gallon mixed reef together. I am going to use t5 lights. My question is regarding the difference between a t5 agriculture light and a regular t5 high bay from a big box store? Do any of you use these? I don't have the option on spending big money on a name brand fixture (ati, reef Brite,etc.)
I however am going to use the ati bulbs for this build.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only real difference would be the ballast(ATI fixtures are overdriven to put out more light), and endcaps being waterproof.

Do horticulture setups have fans to cool the cathode end of the bulb? I have no experience in horticulture setups. I have read several old threads by ATI on why they do this, and why the bulbs have to oriented in a certain manner within the fixture.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot the ballast and end caps as well, that is a good point. Most of the time horticulture lights dont come with cooling fans

Upvote 0

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ati fixtures will just have higher par due to better ballasts and cooling. Just run the cheap fixtures closer to the water and replace the bulbs a couple months earlier. It’ll even out
This. I installed fans in the canopy and the waterproof end caps. Im using a vivosun 4 bulb, 48" setup, plus two of the aliexpress led bars. Total investment with bulbs, T5 fixture, dimmable ballast and lightbars was under 300 bucks. Currently growing only softies and zoas, but no complaints. I still need to check the par (I have a meter), but im seeing visual growth over the past month.

20220331_122904_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the record, ATI does NOT overdrive bulbs and they do not have waterproof endcaps. The shield on their fixtures is required to keep water off the bulbs and endcaps and to help with proper cooling.

ATI ballasts are standard spec T5 ballasts that can be found at Home Depot. ATI fixtures put out the most PAR because they use the best components all together. Best reflector, spec T5 ballasts, proper cooling (this is SUPER important), and good bulbs.

When cooling T5s you always cool the labeled end of the bulbs and it doesn't take a ton of air movement to cool them properly. Overcooling is just as bad as not cooling at all.

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, ATI does NOT overdrive bulbs and they do not have waterproof endcaps. The shield on their fixtures is required to keep water off the bulbs and endcaps and to help with proper cooling.

ATI ballasts are standard spec T5 ballasts that can be found at Home Depot. ATI fixtures put out the most PAR because they use the best components all together. Best reflector, spec T5 ballasts, proper cooling (this is SUPER important), and good bulbs.

When cooling T5s you always cool the labeled end of the bulbs and it doesn't take a ton of air movement to cool them properly. Overcooling is just as bad as not cooling at all.
Thanks for the clarification.

I was just quoting older threads(think it was from 2015?) I recently read from ATI one day when I was bored, as I run T5's.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
machome79

machome79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I installed fans in the canopy and the waterproof end caps. Im using a vivosun 4 bulb, 48" setup, plus two of the aliexpress led bars. Total investment with bulbs, T5 fixture, dimmable ballast and lightbars was under 300 bucks. Currently growing only softies and zoas, but no complaints. I still need to check the par (I have a meter), but im seeing visual growth over the past month.

20220331_122904_HDR.jpg
What do you use to control the dimmer? Controller?

Upvote 0

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all,

I am putting a 135gallon mixed reef together. I am going to use t5 lights. My question is regarding the difference between a t5 agriculture light and a regular t5 high bay from a big box store? Do any of you use these? I don't have the option on spending big money on a name brand fixture (ati, reef Brite,etc.)

My suggestion would be to spend a little more and just get the LET T5 kits.
They have waterproof endcaps and the ballasts are the same brand as in the ATI T5 units & the reflectors are also top of the line.

I'm still using the same LET fixture I bought 16 years ago. The only possible cost will be if when a ballast goes which may be anywhere from 5-10 years and they are only $24 as of today.

You can go cheap on the LED bars if you want to add some blue pop.
21ledusa or some of the Chinese bars will work just fine.

The LET fixures also offers flexibility in the future if you ever change your mind and go with other lighting solutions for example a mix of T5 and LED bars, puck type units, ect.

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a salvaged t5 fixture I believe it might have been used for residential or commercial use for years
8 bulbs , 54 watt each
Works great and a lot cheaper than buying a name brand fixture for aquariums

I have priced hydroponic fixtures as essentially they’re the same , perhaps different reflectors ?

Upvote 0

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the cost of ati fixtures (beyond the hobby grade mark-up) has to do with economies of scale. Yes, ATI is a big operation by hobby standards, but they’re a flea on the back of the 900 pound gorilla that is any of the commercial lighting companies. When you produce so few units, the cost per unit goes up. Thirdly, the fact that they are kind of a “higher end” option, there’s going to be an additional premium. Will it be 2-3 times as good as a horticultural unit costing 1/3 the price? Not likely, but it will be some better.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
machome79

machome79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone for the information and suggestions. I have decided to build my own fixture. while I am building it I will snap photos to share. I have ordered a 48 inch actinic led bar from 21 led. I will use it for the time being on my 75 reef tank to see if I like it. they have really good prices and I am curious of the quality.

Upvote 0

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

You pay for what you get. An ATI Sunpower fixture will last you more than a decade and will work efficiently with the air cooling system to get the best out of the bulbs. It has the acrylic sheet to protect the bulbs against splashes and is nice and sleek. The reflectors are great and the whole fixture can be hang from the ceiling or placed over the tank. You pay for what you get.
You could wait and put some money aside to invest in the Sunpower. I'm not a rich guy as well and did that, and it was great in the long run!

Upvote 0

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basicaly you describe any fixture.....

There is nothing in ati fixtures that dont exist in others, or that cant be done in diy version.

You pay the name. The heart is bulb, so ati bulb will perform very similar in any fixture. There can be slight variations caused by reflectors, temperature, ballast, but, that is measured in low %.

The rest is simply "any store cheap electronics", and really dont matter who made ballast, as long as is adequate in term of wattage that can be run on it. Metal sheet bent in shape, piece of acrylic and cheap fans.... You really think that ati have some space or secret technology behind all of this....

Does ati reflector reall beats any other - giessman, juwel, or any, by 50%? 70% double? Tripple? No. Simply no, its all reflective polished material in some shape, one can reflect light slightly better or slightly worse than another, but its all small difference.

There's no software, there is not some bin or anything for bulb, its the same bulb, and same bulb is performing the same, within +-5% difference.....

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back