T5 with LED Bars

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone running a T5 setup, with LED bars like the Orpheks on the side of the fixtures? Wondering if that will look too wonky.

I am getting an 84" tank, and rather than getting w x 36" ATi fixtures, thinking of getting the 60" fixture, with a 24" Orphek bar on each end, to make sure the sides get enough light. Would that look too weird?

OP
OP
SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could, but on an 84" length tank, I would need at least 4, to the tune of $4k. More than I want to spend on light....although the new Icons look pretty slick.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used ATI T5 fixtures on both my tanks for several years. I missed the led pop so I added Reef Brite XHO blue bars.
The Reef Brites had mounts that attached to existing screw holes on the ATI fixture.
If you aren't planning on using ATI and Reef Brite combo's, they are always diy mounting options for others.
Aluminum angle and flat bar is very easy to work with and once painted usually blends in very well with many light fixtures.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ReefBrite and Orphek bars come with brackets that you can mount on ATI, Giesemann and other fixtures. They look fine. Of course, this is the long way. I am sure that you could bend those or make your own brackets to go the short way.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use a 3' and a 4' T5? That would span the entire tank. If you don't like the look, you could use a canopy or floating canopy.

4 Halides would also do the job for less money.

OP
OP
SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use a 3' and a 4' T5? That would span the entire tank. If you don't like the look, you could use a canopy or floating canopy.

4 Halides would also do the job for less money.
If I went with 2 ATi fixtures, the fixtures and bulbs for each would add a lot of expense, and make the upfront cost of LED's break even sooner.
I have it figured out that a 60" 8 bulb ATI plus 2x orphek 24" strips, would break even at about 5.15 years with 3 orphek Icons or 2 ATI Strattons + 2 Orphek 24" bars.
That being said, I should look into MH, as I have never used them before. This is on my basement, so heat should not be a real issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back