Tail spot blenny attacking firefish

Cappagli82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have searched and I see comments that tail spots and firefish get long. However, I purchased. Tail spot blenny to add to my 75 gallon (fish and invert) tank and now he goes after my firefish. I had the firefish first and it's not like he's going to the bennies spot. The firefish will just be hanging out in the front on display and the tail spot will take off after him. Why is he doing this? Any advice?
Also, I have not noticed the bennies actually getting a hold of the firefish (no marks or ripped fins), I just don't want the firefish stressed out.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once that type of aggression starts there is not much you can do. You can try an acclimation box for the Blenny, tape a small mirror to the side of the tank to distract the Blenny, but honestly you're probably going to remove one of the fish. There are no hard and fast rule for fishes, they all have their unique personality.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Even though these fish should get along fine, especially with the firefish in first, there are always exceptions.

Increasing feeding frequency can sometimes help.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch the blenny if you can and throw him in the sump for a few days, then put him back in your dt and hope he got the message.

OP
OP
Cappagli82

Cappagli82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I was so upset when I seen it happening and couldn't find anyone else complaining with a tail spot and a firefish. Just my luck! I will try putting him in the sump or an acclimation box and see if that helps. If not I guess I will need to find him a new home. Thank you for the tips.

RedReef87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought a fire fish today and my tail spot started attacking the fire fish. Not sure why, there is plenty of space and not any competition for food.

OP
OP
Cappagli82

Cappagli82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought a fire fish today and my tail spot started attacking the fire fish. Not sure why, there is plenty of space and not any competition for food.

Yea, I think it's because they are similar in body shape. The blenny will go to the other end of the tank where my firefish is, just to attack him. I picked up another firefish to see if two of them would scare the blenny into leaving him alone (two vs one) because the lfs said sometimes that will help, but it didnt work. I even tried the mirror trick and it didnt work either. So, I removed the tail spot and put him in my son's tank. Problem solved!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep dartfish and other small easily intimidated fish. I do not keep Ecsenius blennies with them for that exact reason. I tried on multiple occasions with several different blenny species and always ended up with hiding (or worse) dartfish assessors etc.

I have better luck keeping fang blennies with firefish.

Hopefully they sort it out

I

OP
OP
Cappagli82

Cappagli82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep dartfish and other small easily intimidated fish. I do not keep Ecsenius blennies with them for that exact reason. I tried on multiple occasions with several different blenny species and always ended up with hiding (or worse) dartfish assessors etc.

I have better luck keeping fang blennies with firefish.

Hopefully they sort it out

I removed him and put him in my son's tank. So now my firefish are happy and living bully free!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear you had an option

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back