Taking the plunge

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R. We sure are glad to have you here.

you're welcome love GIF

BreadReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! After 30 years of fresh water aquariums and dreaming of doing a reef tank (cost and fear of failure kept me from trying in the past) my wife and our girlfriend gave me the green light to tackle this bucket list item as a Christmas present. I’m most of the way done with the build and have the tank cycling. I have a 55g tank with a 20g sump. I built it in the wall between my living room and my office and just for fun decided to add a sink and bar. Just need to finish the trim and paint and install my controller this week. I’m looking forward to adding fish and coral in another month or so.

988A6CBE-CC09-4E47-B34A-1D5862D6B56A.jpeg

Beautiful build!!

Welcome!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! After 30 years of fresh water aquariums and dreaming of doing a reef tank (cost and fear of failure kept me from trying in the past) my wife and our girlfriend gave me the green light to tackle this bucket list item as a Christmas present. I’m most of the way done with the build and have the tank cycling. I have a 55g tank with a 20g sump. I built it in the wall between my living room and my office and just for fun decided to add a sink and bar. Just need to finish the trim and paint and install my controller this week. I’m looking forward to adding fish and coral in another month or so.

Looks like a nice start:)
Welcome to R2R.JPG

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to R2R !

It is always nice to see some with freshwater experience and a well thought out plan. Have others supporting you is a major plus too.

Question: Is the sump on a moveable platform? Also, did you add a refrigerator below the bar for refrigerated reef items?

I look forward to your progress in 2022,
Jim

OP
OP
Shadowfire

Shadowfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R !

It is always nice to see some with freshwater experience and a well thought out plan. Have others supporting you is a major plus too.

Question: Is the sump on a moveable platform? Also, did you add a refrigerator below the bar for refrigerated reef items?

I look forward to your progress in 2022,
Jim
The sump is on a wheeled platform, I wanted to be able to disconnect the unions and pull it out for cleaning. I considered a small fridge but was concerned about extra heat in the cabinet and decided against it.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome! Glad you joined and excited they gave you needed push. Its going to be quite the conversation piece whenever people come over since you added the bar - and sink you'll likely find having it handy makes life easier.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
Shadowfire

Shadowfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined and excited they gave you needed push. Its going to be quite the conversation piece whenever people come over since you added the bar - and sink you'll likely find having it handy makes life easier.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thanks for the info, I created a build thread, how do I link it to my account?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking good.
black ish appearance GIF

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I created a build thread, how do I link it to my account?

This is the info they gave me on how to link it to your account:
Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE

OP
OP
Shadowfire

Shadowfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the info they gave me on how to link it to your account:
Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE
Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back