James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c833dd7cadefdc1abc3ec52d84106cdc.jpg
eca35f98cf736e5a07c97c4479139509.jpg

Just got this 30 gallon long and 40 gallon sump going to do another build of a frag tank and sump
Using chaeto to teach photosynthesis cycle. I am sure with 70 gallon volume I will need a skimmer but not sure what I need product or size. Any info or suggestions would help

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK question guys test this morning on tank is showing .2 ammonia and .05 nitrite? should I be alarmed? what action should i take. did a water change Friday past and everything is awake and happy in tank looking good? Sure dont want a crash while kids are gone and they come back to disappointment. Temp is at 80.2 this morning AC is off. Chiller is supposed to be delivered today

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this in your main tank? If so, you might want to do a water change. Doesn't make sense that you would see that in your cycled tank unless you added more dead rock. I would check again before you do a water change though.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK question guys test this morning on tank is showing .2 ammonia and .05 nitrite? should I be alarmed? what action should i take. did a water change Friday past and everything is awake and happy in tank looking good? Sure dont want a crash while kids are gone and they come back to disappointment. Temp is at 80.2 this morning AC is off. Chiller is supposed to be delivered today

Is all the livestock accounted for? Were there any temp/alk/PH/Salinity swings that microfauna might have died off?

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks we have had a lot of support from this community and a few vendors... salt water Aquarium web site just sent us a Tunze 3155 osmolator to help stabilize salinity... we are really enjoying the process. ( students have a schedule someone comes in every third day for maintenance) I check it every day in between. Really cool how my students are connected to school
And learning by choice over summer.... that would not happen with out this reef....

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks we have had a lot of support from this community and a few vendors... salt water Aquarium web site just sent us a Tunze 3155 osmolator to help stabilize salinity... we are really enjoying the process. ( students have a schedule someone comes in every third day for maintenance) I check it every day in between. Really cool how my students are connected to school
And learning by choice over summer.... that would not happen with out this reef....

The Tunze will be a great help over the summer!

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
97a45e37bdba9746a97ec6d17d2de923.jpg

Eagle Reef looking good this morning. We’ve added some Duncan’s and some pulsing Xenia this week... Also considering a surprise upgrade to a 75 or 125 gallon tank over the summer to surprise my students when they come back in August. Sure appreciate the support getting us started on this Journey guys...

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat the Xenia the same way as the GSP. You can use rubble rock around it and when the rock gets some Xenia on it, take the pieces of rubble with Xenia to a LFS for store credit.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gong pick up the 75 gallon tank today. Bought for us by ( not sure I can say company name) but they have adopted us and have been very helpful. Question should we do a separate build thread for the new tank? Between you guys here and this company outta Missouri we have been fast tracked into great learning and fun.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be final post on this thread. I wanted to post a video of our original bio Cube as we turn it over to another teacher and move on to our 75 gallon build. Not having success posting the video in here.
42e9674acbbd6ef325f00ab027c5e022.jpg

But here is the most recent picture I have... this was a fun build and a fun tank. I will still maintain it for the teacher who now has it in her room ( my wife) but will be focused on the upgrade to the 75 gallon reef in my room.

Thanks R2R for all
Your support in the early days of this reef!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back