Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
You have a great thread Paul and a fantastic sense of humor to boot. What a wonderful tank experience! I fully enjoyed your comments and information. I am one tank and three years into the hobby and I love every step and minute. Reading this makes me want to keep goin for, like, ever. :)
 
There is no place in this serious hobby for humor. :fencing:
 
I used to think it was so amazing that all corals would all grow those same little cement plugs on the bottom. Who would have thought.
The lights just came on in my tank and I was looking for something un orthodox to write about in this thread, but all I see is the aluminum DIY LED light fixture on the counter weight system. The 5' PVC venturi skimmer, the home made rocks and artificially aged broken bottles, the home made baby brine shrimp mandarin feeder, the DIY auto top off that is fed from my DIY DI chamber and gravity feed system and DIY reverse UG filter. Now I need to harvest the new born shrimp from the DIY shrimp hatchery and shell separator and get some blackworms out of their DIY worm keeper. Then I have to open the white worm farm and collect some whiteworms that supplement the mandarin to keep them spawning and I will shoot them near the mandarin with the home made suckie feeder thing.
But for the life of me, I can't find any un orthodox things to write about. Oh well, today I need to check out how much rust there is on the DIY stand and make sure the home made leak detector system under the tank and in the skimmer effluent bucket is working
dunno.gif
 
I like building my own stuff too. As a engineer it's what I do, so extending it to my hobby is natural. Sounds very much like your career placed you in the same mindset, why buy it when I can build it? The fact it has worked for so long is brilliant. I tend to be very scientific, so I consider myself lucky I have gone over 20 years without cratering. Your approach is so different, I am enjoying the process of figuring out which of your elements I want to try first. Adding natural mud from Missouri is one thing I think I will skip. ;-)

One thing that allowed us to frag corals and succeed in getting them to encrust and grow is water quality and advanced lighting. From the 60's to the 80's, it was a blessing if any coral grew at all for most of us.
 
Last edited:
Greg, I just have to build things. It's what I do. It drives me crazy when I see the stupid way things are designed. It is not always the designer's fault, because they don't always know what that device will be installed in but some things are just blatantly ridiculous. For instance, I have a boat. It has two engines so there is little room to access a lot of things in the engine compartment. There are 2 pumps that raise each of the outdrives so you can lift them to inspect or to go in shallow water. They can put them anywhere, but they install them all the way in the back, behind the engines so you can't even put oil in them unless you are Houdini. One of them, the port one you have to remove the water heater and two batteries to put some oil in it and God forbid if it breaks. Then to make it better, they install them along with their relays on an iron bracket. Now as an engineer, what is the one material you would "not" install something important on in a boat knowing you can't get to it and realizing it will be sitting in salt water? Iron. What moron would use an iron bracket for this? But all boats have this pump on this iron bracket. The replacement is a stainless steel bracket that costs $125.00. For a bracket that doesn't do anything but sit there.
I vacuumed out those brackets. Yes, vacuumed them out as that is how corroded they were and I extended the cables and hydraulic hoses to a place where they are very convenient to reach. I made new brackets out of 1/2" thick plexiglass and bolted them in with stainless steel screws. Those brackets with their associated wiring and pumps will last as the pyramids.

Another stupid thing they designed in boats, or didn't design is an easy way to drain the water out of the engine to winterize them. There are valves on the bottom of the engine, but again, only Houdini can reach them, and he is dead. Probably died trying to reach one of those valves. I removed those rusted petcocks and ran a flexible hose to them to a place that I can reach and I can easily drain the engines.
I also built new manifolds so that I can run fresh water through my engines to get the salt out because they don't offer that in my boat. But it is a no brainer to build. Now I just connect a hose to the thing when I get back to my marina and flush the engines with freshwater. Like Duh. This stuff is so simple, it's a no brainer.
 
Last edited:
Engines

Here you can see the red handles on the ball valves on each engine. The flushing system cost me about ten bucks for each engine and took half an hour. You can also see one of those hydraulic pumps on the new acrylic bracket on the bottom left of the bilge. Left of the belts
 
Last edited:
Another stupid invention are outdrives. The part of the boat that is outside and has the propellers mounted on. My boat has two of them and they are about $6,000.00 each and are totally worthless. There is no need for them but most boats that don't have outboards have them. Why? Because they are $6,000.00 each. Jet drives were invented two years after Columbus landed in the new world and if he lived a little longer he would have installed jet drives in the Nina. Or at least the Santa Maria.
Jet drives like jet skies use have almost no moving parts and do you see how fast those things go. All boats should have a jet drive. And at least one Supermodel, but at the minimum, a jet drive. And a two speed transmission. Another no brainer. Boat gas cost $5.00 a gallon, my boat gets 2 miles per gallon because they don't sell a two speed transmission for a boat. But you can get a $6,000.00 out drive or maybe even steal one off the Santa Maria.
Don't get me started. Dam, you already did.
 
I have an older 42' Carver that has similar design problems. But I'm in freshwater so my issues are trivial compared to yours. If you want to talk about hard to work on, I've owned a dozen aircraft in my lifetime and they were all a pain to work on. It makes you a better man.
 
I am a good enough Man now and just want to do easier Man work. I just can't stand stupidity, especially if that is the job you were trained for. I can see if a yogurt salesman, shoe maker or bee keeper was designing a boat and especially if he never saw a body of water before like if he grew up in the Sahara desert, then he will make some mistakes. But if you are a boat designer and you keep perpetuating the same stupid designs that the guy who built Columbus boat made, then you would be just stupid.
Unless of course you make your living selling outdrives or hydraulic pump brackets or boat engine manifolds that rot out because you can't flush them with fresh water. I realize that designing better machinery will lost some jobs and I have a few words for that. Too Bad. Do something else. If you are going to design something, do it right or don't do it at all. That is just my opinion of course and rather enjoy re designing things that were designed by shoe makers, yogurt salesman and bee keepers.
Unless we are talking about selling yogurt, fixing shoes or keeping bees, those people I have the utmost respect for, especially if they don't design boats. :tea:
 
I also have little patience with stupidity, but engineers don't call the shots, the bean counters do. In this current time, expertise is ignored for the loudest voice with the deepest pockets. That makes life hell for those of us that see you can either build something right or design something by committee. And committees are populated by morons. That's where we got the platypus.
 
Last edited:
but engineers don't call the shots, the bean counters do.

Yes I know. The engineers should throw the bean counters in a pit with the platypuses and we should just design our own machines. If I was a little younger, I would build my own marine propulsion system and laugh at the present ones. I am going to start now Ha Ha Ha Ha.

At least I know that I don't have to live with a lot of the ridiculous stuff they build and I can re do it the right, efficient and cheaper way.
If they put transmissions in boats, my boat could get along fine with just one engine.
 
Last edited:
Platypuses or platypi? LOL
The definition of an engineer, or at least they told me this in school, is to look at machines and systems from the vantage they are all flawed and your job is to improve it. Smart companies do listen to feedback and as a result build pretty nice products. As computer design is used, some really clever designs have been built. An example in our hobby is skimmers. I have a old 5' Venturi design skimmer still in operation. Only upgrade is I eliminated the Venturi with a needle pump as the Venturi was alway clogging. But very few sane people have room for a skimmer of this caliber. Sitting next to it is a modern designed Hydor recirculating skimmer that is 1/3 the size of the older skimmer and produces 10x the dark green skim mate. So things do get better. Like cars. I hear I wish they built them like they use to. Really? We're both old enough to remember 50 cent gasoline and cars rotted out at 100,000 miles or sooner.

As to boats, same thing. In the 60-70's I owned wooden cruisers like Trojan and Owens. Compared to your boat they were maintenance hogs and a perpetual sanding/painting job. They were pretty though. It does seem odd though that a boat builder that builds seaworthy boats would use any type of degradable metals.
 
Last edited:
Platypuses or platypi?

I think it's platapuses but I really don't know. I know it is octipi with octopuses and fish or fishes are both correct but I may not be the correct one to ask as I didn't go to college. There was that war thing and all. I am actually proud of that as I think to much education removes some of your creativity.
An engineer such as a boat engineer would not think to use acrylic to make a bracket for something that goes in a boat bilge because acrylic would not be a material they are taught about. They like things like stainless steel, wood and aluminum.
My skimmer is also a 5' model and in my life I only actually bought one skimmer. It was the first one Sanders came out with in the 70s. It was made from green plastic and was a counter current model. It worked very well but was small. Over the years I designed and built dozens of different models before finally settling on the one I have now. It has the capacity to have different venturi models installed and occasionally I get a bug and design a new valve. Some of them even had two air intakes. It is probably not the most efficient skimmer but I like making things and can design it better for "my" own preferences. I am an inventer and own two aquarium related patents. Yesterday I was on Skype (I love that thing) with an engineer as we were re designing a part of the Majano Wand to make it more efficient and just better. We are really just tweeking it a little as most devices get tweeked as they are in use for a few years and potential problems become noticed. That happened to cars as I used to be an auto mechanic for GM. Now as you said cars last forever. I used to make money in my driveway changing ball joints and brakes. Ball joints last the life of the car ans brakes can go 40 or 50 thousand miles. You don't even have to change spark plugs now for 60 or 70 thousand miles and even then, there is nothing wrong with them.
The new problem with cars is that they are computer controlled so when your "Check Engine" light comes on, it could be a real pain to find the errant module that is giving you the problem and sometimes those modules require you to take the car apart to replace. As a mechanic I used to build my own cars, now that is very difficult and expensive. It used to only require that you lived near a junk yard.

It amazes me the amount of money people spend on their tanks. I couldn't do that even if I wanted to. To spend 5 or 6 hundred bucks on a skimmer or controller, I would end up divorced or out on the street. I also realize my tank is no where near the nicest tank on here but in my defense, it was never meant to be. It was also never meant to be TOTM or anything else. I am not going for the best or prettiest, I don't want the most colorful corals or a tank full of sticks. It is, and always was, just a hobby, an experiment. Something that I enjoy for myself. No one else, as it was started before any other tank so there was never anyone to impress anyway. I go for unusual creatures, I want to see them spawn and thrive. I have already had all the tangs, angels, and moorish Idols that I need. They are common and everyone has them. I like clingfish, mandarins, pipefish, cusk eels, possum wrasses, odd looking gobies, wierd crustaceans and of course Supermodels.

I collected this guy


One of my designs that will soon be marketed.


Baby octipi or octipuses.



Skimmer.



Mini Majano Wand



Cookie Monster.



Piggy

 
Last edited:
Hey Mr and Mrs DJeep123, You guys look like a nice couple. Do you always smile like that, and who is on here Mrs or Mr Jeep? Or both of you?
 
Hey Mr and Mrs DJeep123, You guys look like a nice couple. Do you always smile like that, and who is on here Mrs or Mr Jeep? Or both of you?

Thanks Paul, we are a very smiley couple. What's not to smile about? Mr. is usually on. If there is something interesting, I'll show the Mrs. :P
 
Hey Paul. Great pics!
You have a lot to be proud about. Getting patents can be challenging, I know. I almost bought one of your wands last year after experimenting with a high energy blue laser to kill pest anemones. In the past I had done work with these lasers and thought why not? It didn't work well and was too dangerous. The process was spectacular to watch. Need to try your product out.
 
Last edited:
we are a very smiley couple. What's not to smile about? Mr. is usually on. If there is something interesting, I'll show the Mrs. :P

Thats cool. so are we.

Greg thats also cool. We just re-designed the Majano Wand. Or we tweeked it a little. It will look almost exactly the same but we now have a newer method of sealing the tip in the injection molding machine. I am not sure how many revisions we had but we keep striving for perfection. :wave:

 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new