Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I just have a canoe...
Canoe's are great. I used to have a tiny sailboat that we used to sail in the Long Island Sound. I loved that thing. It was like 8' long.

I would not get a mandarin if I didn't have an aged fairly large tank. They can be supplimented with baby brine or worms but in between they really need to eat every ten ceconds or so like they do in the sea. I hatch baby brine every day but the will live just fine in my tank without them. I just like them to spawn and there are so many pod eaters in my tank that I help them along with the worms and shrimp.
As Einna said they will eat ova but unless you want to feed them constantly, you still should have a natural tank full of pods. Mandarins can't store food like most fish can and they should live about 10 years. They will if there are constant pods in the tank.

Sunset over the Bronx.



The Hamptons out east in the snow.



Same place in the summer.



Sun set over Connecticut.

 
My system is over 20 years old but my wrasses keep the pods down. I found that even in my 100 gallon frag system I don't grow enough pods. That's why I asked about supplemental foods. The prawn eggs are not available right now, they say weather factors. I'll just fall back and be glad I can grow hard corals.

Pretty pictures Paul.
 
I got two of these yesterday just because I can. I get all sorts of information about these fish which leads me to assume, that no one actually knows about them. I have found they get either 3" or 18" so there is a little variation there. I would get a bunch of them, but I don't need whale shark fish in my reef
Pentapodus Nemurus,whiptail. Photo by aandtsociety | Photobucket
 
I would have called it "Fish-that-no-one-knows-anything-about"
 
Yes that is why I bought them. I don't buy tangs, angels and most wrasses as I always look for something that I don't see often. These are very cool looking and if they get big I will make tiny fish hooks and just fish for them. I also have a variety of traps for different fish. Then of course there is always a spear gun.
 
Yes I see them as whiptails, but if they get to big, I may call them lunch :brick:
 
These suckers do eat a lot. They now compete with the coppperband which is the biggest eater by far. I still think the two pistol shrimp are spawning but I can't be sure, they just have that look on their eye stalks. Right now I have the pumps off because I always do that when I feed the tank. All the fish are out like it is the first day of summer. The dragon face pipefish is my favorite fish and right now he is eating new born brine shrimp from the surface. He learned that all the shrimp he didn't see at first head towards the light and congregate at the surface of the water. The mandarins see the shrimp up there but they are Sissies and only make it half way to the surface. Then they go back down to the feeder where they know there are shrimp. All the fish including the copperband and possum wrasse eat the shrimp, but it is just a small snack for them and doesn't even seem worth it. The bangai cardinals look silly with their big mouths eating baby shrimp. The clown gobies are still spawning and should really get a room as they are annoying me.

 
I really like those fish and I understand annoying. I have a female leopard wrasse who is kicking up a storm right now because I did a little rearranging on part of the tank last weekend. Its been going on for 6 evenings, and she does this every time I move a rock. She likes her many escape tunnels.
 
We are having a lot of company so I had to get creative as kids are coming over.

 
I have some chocolate covered Giraffes and porcupines. Whenever we get invited to someone's house I make these. I eat most of them on the way just to make room.
A few weeks ago when it was still cold we brought our Grand Daughter Greta to church. She saw the cross and said to my Wife "That is Jesus" My wife said " Yes, Greta, that is Jesus" so Greta said "Jesus is sad" My wife said
"Yes he is, he is on the cross and all that. Greta said, "he is sad because it is cold and he doesn't have any mittens".
Then when we were walking out she again saw a statue of Jesus wearing clothes and she said "Jesus has nice sandals"
She is a real Girly Girl
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new