Tank birthday, 47+ years

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most important, pray your wife gets feeling better.

Secondly, I use to scuba dive myself. It doesn't look natural the pics I see of such pristine tanks. People need to go diving and see what it really looks like. I agree with having algae growing in your tank. Lot of the fish feeds and hunts for food in it.
I tried to let me temporary tank do it but my wife said it was ugly and wanted me clean it. I did take out the largest clumps. Between my fish and cuc it's all gone.

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is first class on the simplicity of the the various pieces of equipment you have designed to replicate skimmers and LEDs and other equipment you have made ,first class and your system looks great well done keep on reefing

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only counted 2371.

Beas, Where have you been? I haven't seen you in years (I don't think but I have a lousy memory)

Agree, completely!

I think this was about Jane Fonda ;Yuck Wasn't it?
The first day I got to Viet Nam we were instructed to shoot traitors and if we didn't, we could be court marshaled.

If we saw an American sneaking out of the LZ heading for the Jungle we had to shoot them and it didn't matter if it was in the back.

I Thank God never had to shoot an American but I was also never near "her". ;Drool

Yesterday I killed a bunch of aiptasia using my favorite method of covering them in a little pile of salt. They hate that.

I put some salt in a container and add a few drops of water so it is a thick mush. I put it in a baster thing that I make, and cover the little Devil. I even killed my 3" Devil Spawn one but I have to get down to the tank this morning to see if he is gone or turned into Godzilla. o_O

I doubt my copperband will eat and I don't know what they did to that poor guy in the wholesaler.
The store just got him so I can't blame him. If he croaks, I will again be on a quest for another one.

As I said my wife is having some Issues and they closed all her therapy places including the place that made her brace. She needs it tweeked and also needs some instruction. I took her to a gym yesterday which didn't go well at all.

We have a tiny gym connected to this condo that they leave open just for her.
I, myself am in perfect health as far as I know and if my knees worked good I could play Batman, or at least Tim Conway. :rolleyes:

My wife just got up and I am making a fantastic breakfast, see you later. ;)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went out just now on a foray for fish food. I was looking for LRS food in case they quarantine fish stores.

The first one I went to closest to my home, about 15 miles away is a huge place but not any good for fish. They had a figure 8 puffer, a scat, an anemic looking shrimp and a few algae and ich filled tanks and no food that I wanted.

So I went another 10 miles to a place with a leaky roof so I had to stand in the rain while I looked through the tanks. One advantage was they didn't have to top off their tanks as water was coming down everyplace.

I did manage to get some LRS food and this guy who I just felt sorry for.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about fish with personality, not tangs obviously. This little fella has more personality than all the tangs in the ocean and more some. Here he is just about fits in his favourite bolt hole. I guess he could be middle age now as he has a paunch and his belly just about squeezes in with a wiggle. He sits there watching his tank mate wrasses flying around the tank thinking to himself, chill guys the human will be around anytime with the vittles and popcorn. Plenty for all of us not need to panic like thise dumb humans are. What is it with them anyway, sheeeesshhhh!
20200319_211427.jpg
20200319_211418.jpg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those guys.
I just noticed in my tank that I have 2 of these guys. I didn't even know it.

Hi!!!!! I finally read all 277 pages! LOL! It was like a great book...! Seriously I love your tank and all your critters in. I also love the pic of the Trunkfish a few pages back. Hope you and your wife are doing well!!!!

Also I have been reading your posts and following your methods since 2013 when I set up my first tank. Thanks for the inspiration over the years. 8)

First one is current one of my tank, others of underwater pics in Mexico near Cancun. My tank and my hobby, but my husband and I both love the reefs. He took the underwater pics...I am still practicing my photography skills....while watching for sharks..... LOL!

IMG_20200312_134817.jpg 2019_0530_11343000.jpg 2019_0529_11125200.jpg 2019_0527_11113600.jpg 2019_0527_11074700.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pictures. :D I like your tank, especially the giant mushroom.

Cancun, You read all 177 pages! I doubt I read all of them. Sometimes I just sit on my couch and hire a Ghost writer to write them. ;Wideyed

I tried to get a Supermodel but they are all scared of the Corona Virus so they all ran to Cancun, where incidentally Corona Beer comes from. Someplace in Mexico anyway. Most of them can't write anyway, they just pose. ;Happy

My wife and I also dove a few times in Mexico and Cancun. :cool:

Thank you for posting, sometimes it feels like I am the only one on here. I come on early in the morning while I am waiting for my wife to get up. She works hard all day cleaning and cooking (Which, Yes I help with) And she doesn't get around to well so it is a big choir and MS tires you out.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul,
Do you keep track of which fish and coral is the oldest in your tank? If yes please tell us which one and how old. Thanks.

No, I stopped doing that in my Log Book probably in the 80s
The only reason I kind of know that my fireclown is about 29 is because the place I bought him at went out of business at that time.

The rest of the livestock I am just guessing. I think my last copperband was about 10 years old but I could be off 4 years in any direction.
As for the corals, I have no idea but I think my large gorg at the front of my tank could be 15 years old.
I see a similar one in my old pictures but I really don't remember and have a lousy memory.

My mind doesn't seem to work like "normal" people. The Dr at the Va told me that may be due to my PTSD.
My mind works in pictures, not numbers so I rarely remember any dates. Oddly, I don't remember faces either. :rolleyes:

But I can draw almost anything I ever built or things where I worked. He also told me thats why I am creative. Who knew, ;Wideyed

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, No 47 year old clown. My first Percula Clown lived 12 years in the 70s That was considered pretty good then. I don't remember why or how it died but my tank was a fish only 40 gallon tank then and I also had a French Angel and Moorish Idol in it.
You could see some of the fish I had here in 76. I list the year I got them next to them

I am very happy with my tank now. I have quite a lot of the fish I prefer to keep which are all smaller, odder and a little more difficult to get like the Janss Pipefish.
I am going to try to list the fish but I am not near the tank.

Copperband
Hippo Tang
2 Rainsford Gobies
2 Possum Wrasses
2 Sunburst Anthius
2 Fireclowns
Perchlet
Fang Tooth Blenny
2 stripped cardinals
Black cardinal?
Janss Pipefish
Bluestripe Pipefish
Mandarin
Scooter Dragonette
Purple Psudo
2- 6 line wrasses
Yellow wrasse
some kind of stripped wrasse
2 Gecko Gobies

Red something and 5 or 6 other fish that I can't remember.

Back