Tank crashing!

JRamey24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g reef tank. I added new rock about a week ago. Tank has been running since June of 2019. All coral is doing well. Started with my clowns both dying within a day of each other. Figured ok it happens. Move on. This last week both my tomini tang and my foxface (have been in the tank for 4-6 months) died the same night. Now I have a Dino outbreak. I don’t know what to do.

Salinity 1.026
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
PO4 .08
Calc 450
Alk 11
Mag 1450

74C29B27-16A6-42B5-ADAC-FFE9FC830281.jpeg 47483569-0FAD-4903-93B2-2E5DD03C5829.jpeg

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice anything unusual about the fish before they died? Showing any symptoms of disease?

Reef Stallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the temperature stable? Where did the rock come from? Your post implies a cause and effect issue. Add new rock - fish all dying. Sounds like you suspect the new rock caused the problem.

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also was the rock live or dry? The new rock could absolutely have cause the dino's issue.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New rock could have started a cycle or introduced a parasite if it was not cured and quarantined.

Dinos may have produced enough toxins to kill the fish.

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did your fish look like before and after they died? Any common symptoms? Heavy breathing, white spots, red patches, sunken stomachs? Where did the rock come from? Was it dry when you put it in? Did you rinse it before-hand? Was it live rock from a LFS or fellow reefer?

Regardless, I'm so sorry, as losing animals is always hard.

OP
OP
JRamey24

JRamey24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did your fish look like before and after they died? Any common symptoms? Heavy breathing, white spots, red patches, sunken stomachs? Where did the rock come from? Was it dry when you put it in? Did you rinse it before-hand? Was it live rock from a LFS or fellow reefer?

Regardless, I'm so sorry, as losing animals is always hard.
They looked fine. When through a bout of white spot about 3.5 months ago but disappeared quickly. Never saw it return. No heavy breathing. Nothing. Rock was dry rock from LFS. rinsed and soaked in a brute can for about 2 weeks to make sure there was no dead organics. 2 100% water changes before it went in the tank.

OP
OP
JRamey24

JRamey24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suggest I pull the rock? That would be #1 suspect to me. None of this happened till that went in. I’d like to save the blenny and the trigger if I can.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your corals doing? Inverts? Other fish showing signs of distress?

Asking cause if you have a dino bloom, inverts are often the first to kick the bucket due to toxins. Based on your white spot comment I would be leaning toward pulling the other fish and going fallow. Stressor from new rock might have caused an illness to present itself. Kinda shooting in the dark and sorry for your loss.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run some carbon. ASAP Incase of a toxin. If you have the ability I would test the water for ammonia. However a spike in an established tank will go away pretty quick. So a test of any amount could indicate there was more at the time of death. Check those fish for parasites velvet can sometimes be hard to see. Sorry you lost your fish, it sucks.

jim9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks to hear... clowns are hardy fish too. I would do a water change and run carbon. Hell, i may even rinse the new rock also.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry to hear
Are you sure on your salinity ? If youre getting a false reading and high salinity - could be a cause
Velvet or internal parasite may be an issue also. Did you noticed stringy white poop and darting/scratching in tank?
What is tank temperature?

OP
OP
JRamey24

JRamey24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear
Are you sure on your salinity ? If youre getting a false reading and high salinity - could be a cause
Velvet or internal parasite may be an issue also. Did you noticed stringy white poop and darting/scratching in tank?
What is tank temperature?
Temp in tank fluctuates between 77-79 depending on lights on or off. I’ll try and recalibrate my refractometer. Didn’t really notice anything out of the ordinary

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good responses above.

Aside of the condition of the fish prior to buying and introducing to the tank, weakened state, possible disease or parasite, acclimation......

I wouldn't attempt adding any more live stock to the tank till some issues are figured out.

I have some questions:

1. What is your source water? RO/DI, Tap, water from your LFS?

2. How do you measure salinity?

3. Other than a HOB filter, do you have a Protein skimmer?

4. As others have stated, what's your tank temp at?

5. Tell us your husbandry regiment. Water changes, how much and how often?

6. Are you adding anything to the tank? Buffers, ammonia binders such as Prime or amquel?

7. How long do you have your lights on? From the pictures, it looks way over lit.

8. Feeding. How much and how often?

9. How does the existing live stock look as of now? Fish, inverts, corals.

I know I've thrown a lot of questions your way, but we need a bigger picture to help. The current state of your tank isn't balanced enough to add anything else live stock wise at this time.

Dino's are apart of a new system and is expected.

Sorry for your losses. We will help you through this.

OP
OP
JRamey24

JRamey24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your corals doing? Inverts? Other fish showing signs of distress?

Asking cause if you have a dino bloom, inverts are often the first to kick the bucket due to toxins. Based on your white spot comment I would be leaning toward pulling the other fish and going fallow. Stressor from new rock might have caused an illness to present itself. Kinda shooting in the dark and sorry for your loss.
Corals and inverts are still doing great. That’s why I’m at a loss. Xenia, devils hand, birdsnest, Frogspawn, Montipora Undata, rhodactis shrooms. All doing well as well as all my snails and hermits.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back