Tank cycling question

adamsjus002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m new to the hobby. I’m in the process of cycling a 29 gallon tank. Have live rock, dry rock, live sand. And by recommendation used Fritz Turbostart 900. But I’m confused. added ammonia to get things going. I’ve been testing the last five days. As of today ammonia is present and between .25-.5ppm. 5-10ppm of nitrate is present. But I never saw any nitrite. I need guidance. Am I doing something wrong? I’m sure this question has been asked a million times. I just don’t want to screw anything up.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m new to the hobby. I’m in the process of cycling a 29 gallon tank. Have live rock, dry rock, live sand. And by recommendation used Fritz Turbostart 900. But I’m confused. added ammonia to get things going. I’ve been testing the last five days. As of today ammonia is present and between .25-.5ppm. 5-10ppm of nitrate is present. But I never saw any nitrite. I need guidance. Am I doing something wrong? I’m sure this question has been asked a million times. I just don’t want to screw anything up.

Welcome! Glad you joined. Are you using API test kits? They are notorious for false readings.

With Fritz TurboStart and live sand, you are cycled. Likely your going from ammonia into nitrite into nitrate too fast to catch any nitrite. Likely your sand cloud settled about 2 days ago.

You can pick your first fish to add. Patience is the magic in this hobby, so go slow.

This might help you find people local to you in Seattle (pretty active hobbyists up near you!) Might also find them on FaceBook in groups:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

This is info and links they gave me when I was new on starting Build Thread Badge:

One fun way to learn from others and keep a record of your reef aquarium is to create your very own build thread! A build thread is just a thread that tells us about your aquarium and might include photos. You can create your build thread in one of these forums. MEMBER'S AQUARIUMS

Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adamsjus002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Are you using API test kits? They are notorious for false readings.

With Fritz TurboStart and live sand, you are cycled. Likely your going from ammonia into nitrite into nitrate too fast to catch any nitrite. Likely your sand cloud settled about 2 days ago.

You can pick your first fish to add. Patience is the magic in this hobby, so go slow.

This might help you find people local to you in Seattle (pretty active hobbyists up near you!) Might also find them on FaceBook in groups:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

This is info and links they gave me when I was new on starting Build Thread Badge:

One fun way to learn from others and keep a record of your reef aquarium is to create your very own build thread! A build thread is just a thread that tells us about your aquarium and might include photos. You can create your build thread in one of these forums. MEMBER'S AQUARIUMS

Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE
Yes unfortunately I am using the API test kits and I've been having a hard time reading them. I've had the tank cycling for 5 days. So would you say the cycle has completed? And after adding fish when would be a good time to add cleanup crew?

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after you implement disease protocols from the fish disease forum

the cycle was never the risk to the fish, it's how you want to take chances or shore up ends regarding disease that vectors into the reef as you add items to it from a pet store. Fish think pink gave a solid response based on new cycling science, from a bottle they've engineered no thought/prep required. the cycle was an afterthought after those compound inclusions.

the live rock component itself was likely a skip cycle for the entire system unless you used only a pingpong ball sized rock. any decent inclusion of true cured rock is auto skip cycle/carry any bioload you want/this is how they set up reef convention tanks to never uncycle and instant cycle ready by the start date, doing what you did. minus the bottle bac. you dont need bottle bac where live rock goes but it certainly didn't harm your cause

you can begin reefing right now, if you do a water change then you have less algae fuel when lights come on, if you do no water change there's no ammonia problem. you are now into reefing choices, algae choices, fish disease prep vs skip choices, done with cycling due to number of days underwater compared to the ammonia line from a cycled chart, all fritz studies, all seneye posts and the use of live rock :) as known skip cycle materials.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is not necessary to ever test for ammonia or nitrite again on this tank. if you adhere to that, you chase far far far far fewer goose eggs in your reefing adventure.

ascribe to any form of cycle doubt from here on out: you will chase a few larks. you will spend cash; you'll miss out on aiming for disease control vector control, stickies from the disease forum that take 2 hours total to read, as the real need of focus. those parameters control themselves, permanently, for everyone in reefing display tanks is why you can forego them further.

Upvote 0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is a good start. You got a picture of the tank? Finding a quality source of livestock is important, preferably from a shop you can trust.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adamsjus002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is a good start. You got a picture of the tank? Finding a quality source of livestock is important, preferably from a shop you can trust.
Nothing fancy

Attachments

• Fishtank.jpg
    Fishtank.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes unfortunately I am using the API test kits and I've been having a hard time reading them. I've had the tank cycling for 5 days. So would you say the cycle has completed? And after adding fish when would be a good time to add cleanup crew?

Sufficient food(s) need to be available for cleanup crew to 'cleanup' else they will starve. Keep an eye on your tank, and when it seems like some 'cleanup' is needed, then that is likely good time for initial introduction.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a nice clean setup. yes for sure it's cycled due to the compounding mentioned, it'll carry a common bioload thrown in.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back