Tank Maintenance Schedules

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am trying to come up with a planned maintenance schedule going forward and was wondering if anyone had items missing from the list that I should be thinking about.

Here is what I have came up with so far:

TaskFrequency
Empty Skimmer CupEvery 3 Days
Change Filter SocksWeekly
10% Water ChangeWeekly
Clean 1/3rd of SandbedWeekly
Refill ATOWeekly
Tests - Salinity, Alk, Cal, No3, Po4Weekly
20% Water ChangeMonthly
Clean GyresMonthly
Clean Protein SkimmerMonthly
Clean Return Pump Filter FlossMonthly
Tests - ICPQuarterly
Clean and Calibrate PH ProbeSemi-Annually
Clean Return PumpSemi-Annually
Clean SumpSemi-Annually
50% Water ChangeAnnually
Clean Light Fans and HeatsinksAnnually
Replace HeaterAnnually
Calibrate ThermostatAnnually
Replace used doser headsAnnually
Measure PAR from lightsAnnually
Replace PH ProbeEvery 2 Years

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep to that schedule, you should have very if issues!

I do about 6 of those things and the only ones that are by schedule are water parameter tests and ATO refill which are done weekly. Things like filter sock changes, skimmer collection cup dump are when needed and water changes are FAR more sporadic.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to add but maybe a few adjustments. Change filter socks, Id make that every 3 days when you clean the skimmer. Filter socks get dirty pretty quick and are completely fouled in just a few days IME and could never make it a week.
Tests. Once things get settled in and your familiar with your system I see no need for such a frequent test schedule. Maybe test your Alk weekly and salinity with your WC but the others should not drift much once everything is dialed in.
20% monthly WC. I dont see the point in this if doing 10% weekly changes.
Clean return pump filter floss, not sure but I suspect it will require more frequency than monthly. Like filter socks I assume it will plug rapidly and IMO filter floss is too fine for a pump filter. I'd use a very coarse open pore sponge for that duty as we only need to keep the big stuff out.
50% annual water change, same as the 20% monthly. I dont see the point with a regular 10%weekly schedule
Clean light fans and heatsink, you'll need to clean the light lenses/reflectors from salt creep or splash probably monthly or at least quarterly.

OP
OP
josephxsxn

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep to that schedule, you should have very if issues!

I do about 6 of those things and the only ones that are by schedule are water parameter tests and ATO refill which are done weekly. Things like filter sock changes, skimmer collection cup dump are when needed and water changes are FAR more sporadic.

Thanks, seems like a good point to just have it marks 'As Needed'

20% monthly WC. I dont see the point in this if doing 10% weekly changes.
50% annual water change, same as the 20% monthly. I dont see the point with a regular 10%weekly schedule

Thanks for this, I like it when people challenge my assumptions. To try and best decide what if any impact water changes would have with increased frequency I made this calculator. It does indeed seem that eventually the system balances itself almost logarithmic (maybe I have bad math) in terms if just simple import/exports.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Some do water changes religiously and others don't do them at all... especially after the tank has matured. I do mine when I see anything in the tank I don't like, say a particular coral not having good polyp extension.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back