Tank maturity and adding feather dusters

  • Thread starter Thread starter Redbird5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Redbird5

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
773
Reaction score
419
Location
Metro East St. Louis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is a good time to add feather dusters? Is it 3 months, 6 months? I know it's not right after the nitrogen cycle is finished. Is there a specific time frame in maturity of the aquarium?
I know you can add phyto plankton to the aquarium for them to eat.

Same question for fish. Is there a specific time frame after the cycle for adding a firefish or hawkfish for example?
 
When is a good time to add feather dusters? Is it 3 months, 6 months? I know it's not right after the nitrogen cycle is finished. Is there a specific time frame in maturity of the aquarium?
I know you can add phyto plankton to the aquarium for them to eat.

Same question for fish. Is there a specific time frame after the cycle for adding a firefish or hawkfish for example?
 
feather dusters can be added relatively soon after cycle if you used live rock containing microorganisms they can feed on. My system is full of feather dusters that I never added, just from live rock and their natural reproduction.

firefish and hawkfish it doesn't really matter, as long as your water parameters are stable and your tank size is sufficient. On the hawkfish, I'd add later though because they can be territorial to new additions.
 
Once your cycle is complete, you can add them. I'd hold off on things like anemones until the tank stabilizes a little more though.
 
feather dusters can be added relatively soon after cycle if you used live rock containing microorganisms they can feed on. My system is full of feather dusters that I never added, just from live rock and their natural reproduction.

firefish and hawkfish it doesn't really matter, as long as your water parameters are stable and your tank size is sufficient. On the hawkfish, I'd add later though because they can be territorial to new additions.
Yes, my hawkfish will be the last resident to enter the building.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new