Tank Transfer Method

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say you’d be fine even if your question is asking about three (3) single-gallon bowls. If you scroll up (Post #471) to my three bowl TTM photo, that’s a tiny Purple Tang (about silver dollar size) in a glass 2-gallon fish bowl. It’s very temporary, as you know. With a goldfish in a 1-gallon bowl, I’d just keep ahead of the ammonia by moving the fish every 48 hours, max. But if you mean three (3) 3-gallon bowls, you are definitely OK.

Last edited:

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM seems like a lot of work for a methodology that is only effective for ich. Velvet, brook and Uronema are all arguably worse and just as prevalent. I have never considered wasting my time with this method. No fish would get into my system using this methodology.
There are untreatable fish like mandarins, I simply don’t consider them.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the one hand, it can be considered a lot of work just for Ich; but then too, you are using the time in a ‘sterile’ environment for about 2 week’s worth of isolation and observation— so I suppose that has value as well. It’s a give-and-take, as so many things are. All valuable points of view.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM seems like a lot of work for a methodology that is only effective for ich. Velvet, brook and Uronema are all arguably worse and just as prevalent. I have never considered wasting my time with this method. No fish would get into my system using this methodology.
There are untreatable fish like mandarins, I simply don’t consider them.
It was well worth it for me. Got a 300g with 30+fish including 11 Tangs. All disease free going on for just over a year now. I did use prazipro with some of the TTM. None of my fish had to go through copper.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was well worth it for me. Got a 300g with 30+fish including 11 Tangs. All disease free going on for just over a year now. I did use prazipro with some of the TTM. None of my fish had to go through copper.
Good that you were lucky. Doesn’t contradict anything I wrote.
Humblefish has been working on a TTM method incorporating H2O2 that might be effective for velvet. Still doesn’t do anything for Uronema which is prevalent in anthias currently. Maybe add metro.
Unless you collected the fish yourself, they have already been exposed to copper.

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't Humble say H2O2 addresses Brook and Uronema also?

There is also a TTM that addresses Ich and Velvet.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question on this - should I not set up the next transfer tank too early to avoid ammonia issues? Or is it ok to set up the 'transfer to' tank a day or two early, move the fish, clean the old one, repeat ?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I follow you, there would be nothing in the ‘next’ tank in line to foul the water (e.g., nothing to produce ammonia), until the fish arrives in that tank. So you should be Ok.

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on this - should I not set up the next transfer tank too early to avoid ammonia issues? Or is it ok to set up the 'transfer to' tank a day or two early, move the fish, clean the old one, repeat ?

You can do it early with no harm. I setup the tank the day I do the transfer

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I think I am done? Or do I need to do one more transfer? They have been in ttm for 11 days but I've done 6 transfers. See below:
Screenshot_20201128-105755.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks done to me.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have followed this pretty close.
Ich will usually drop off after 7 days
You could do one more transfer if you feel uneasy. I do not. Day 14 they go in the DT.

Per Humblefish:
A trophont will typically spend 3-7 days feeding on a fish then drop off and turn into a cyst while theronts grow inside..........
How long it takes for theronts to be released varies greatly, depending upon water temperature, which strain of ich you are dealing with, etc. The average time is 2 weeks....

Day 1 – fish in tank
Day 2 – 1st transfer at 36 hours
Day 4 – 2nd transfer at 36 hours
Day 5 – 3rd transfer at 36 hours
Day 7 – 4th transfer at 36 hours
Day 10 – 5th transfer at 71 hours
Day 13 – 6th transfer at 71 hours

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you have followed this pretty close.
Ich will usually drop off after 7 days
You could do one more transfer if you feel uneasy. I do not. Day 14 they go in the DT.

Per Humblefish:
A trophont will typically spend 3-7 days feeding on a fish then drop off and turn into a cyst while theronts grow inside..........
How long it takes for theronts to be released varies greatly, depending upon water temperature, which strain of ich you are dealing with, etc. The average time is 2 weeks....

Day 1 – fish in tank
Day 2 – 1st transfer at 36 hours
Day 4 – 2nd transfer at 36 hours
Day 5 – 3rd transfer at 36 hours
Day 7 – 4th transfer at 36 hours
Day 10 – 5th transfer at 71 hours
Day 13 – 6th transfer at 71 hours
Awesome! I have one more fish in ttm on a different schedule. Once he's done I'll bring them together in qt for a few days to get to know each other.. Then into the dt they go!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back