Testing kits

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank and stand are up! Rockscape is, I THINK, finally in its place lol and equipment is ready. RODI is filling up as we speak. But now here is my slight dielema, I bought the API master test kit, not the one for reef as I’m not including corals just yet. But I’m now reading and hearing some mixed reviews about the API tests. So as always I’m coming to you oh so wonderful people of R2R for advice! Will this kit be okay for watching my cycle and for my first few fish before we introduce corals (which will be mostly softies) then I will need to be testing for things such as the alk, calcium and Such. Correct? I guess this is something I THOUGHT I knew, but not I’m worried I don’t. Help!? Please o_O

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank and stand are up! Rockscape is, I THINK, finally in its place lol and equipment is ready. RODI is filling up as we speak. But now here is my slight dielema, I bought the API master test kit, not the one for reef as I’m not including corals just yet. But I’m now reading and hearing some mixed reviews about the API tests. So as always I’m coming to you oh so wonderful people of R2R for advice! Will this kit be okay for watching my cycle and for my first few fish before we introduce corals (which will be mostly softies) then I will need to be testing for things such as the alk, calcium and Such. Correct? I guess this is something I THOUGHT I knew, but not I’m worried I don’t. Help!? Please o_O
The API tests, when used correctly, are ok. But yes, you can use them for your cycle, and then you can get some better test kits down the road. You don't need to start testing the other elements until corals start coming in as there won't be anything in the tank demanding them right away.

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API tests, when used correctly, are ok. But yes, you can use them for your cycle, and then you can get some better test kits down the road. You don't need to start testing the other elements until corals start coming in as there won't be anything in the tank demanding them right away.

What would reccomend for testing once I am ready for some corals, and moving along in this hobby?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

• I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

• Other.

Back