i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s outstanding! What’s your secret?

@Erin1971Texas What’s your experience with wall hammers? Are they difficult to keep, because I think I purchased a wall yesterday.
I have found wall hammers to be easy as long as it doesn’t get a disease. If some of the polyp dies off then it’s game over as the issue easily (and quickly) spreads through the single polyp.
As for my secret… Honestly, I didn’t really do anything! I just left the coral to do its own thing after it found its perfect spot in the bottom of my RS Max Nano and now in the back of my 3’ Nano. I only feed coral food very sparsely as I have the two juvenile clams however other than that my coral aren’t really ‘cared’ for (Obviously I do the weekly water change to replenish the elements and do also dose All For Reef - again, more so for the clams than the coral).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks easier to place without a frag plug was gonna ask how u remove them
I do remove my SPS if they’re not insanely encrusted over it. All I do is gently pull from the bottom, it usually snaps off quite easily as the glue my LFS uses doesn’t stick too badly.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s outstanding! What’s your secret?

@Erin1971Texas What’s your experience with wall hammers? Are they difficult to keep, because I think I purchased a wall yesterday.
My experience has led me to not ever buy wall hammers or frogspawn again.

1. The majority of wall specimens are "wild caught" - recently harvested from the ocean as opposed to fragged from a (branching) colony that's been growing in captivity. This means they are much more susceptible to changes in water quality, etc - put another way, they are less hardy than coral that's survived in someone's tank for years.
2. It is very easy for these specimens to sustain damage or injury between the time they are harvested and when they get to your tank - multiple moves into multiple tanks. A tiny flesh wound (cue Monty Python) can result in an infection that ends up causing the coral to deteriorate weeks to months after you get it, making it next to impossible to identity the cause of the problem and completely impossible to save the coral.
3. If part of the coral starts to die (see above), the flabello-meandroid skeletal structure makes it very difficult to frag off the infected part like you would with a branching variety. (Trust me on this!!) Fragging wall corals, especially when done by hobbyists rather than professionals often results in even further damaging the coral.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think I explained things better in this post...

Post in thread 'Pink Octospawn Receding?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pink-octospawn-receding.917947/post-10309593

1. The majority of wall specimens are "wild caught" - recently harvested from the ocean as opposed to fragged from a (branching) colony that's been growing in captivity. This means they are much more susceptible to changes in water quality, etc - put another way, they are less hardy than coral that's survived in someone's tank for years.
2. It is very easy for these specimens to sustain damage or injury between the time they are harvested and when they get to your tank - multiple moves into multiple tanks. A tiny flesh wound (cue Monty Python) can result in an infection that ends up causing the coral to deteriorate weeks to months after you get it, making it next to impossible to identity the cause of the problem and completely impossible to save the coral.
3. If part of the coral starts to die (see above), the flabello-meandroid skeletal structure makes it very difficult to frag off the infected part like you would with a branching variety. (Trust me on this!!) Fragging wall corals, especially when done by hobbyists rather than professionals often results in even further damaging the coral.
You are awesome! I’ll try to NEVER buy another wall euphyllia again! Thank you for informing me!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well I just got an aquacultured wall a few weeks ago from a company I really trust so I'm hoping I don't have those issues. :grimacing-face:

IMG_2314.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are awesome! I’ll try to NEVER buy another wall euphyllia again! Thank you for informing me!
Some people obviously have better luck than I did. I wouldn't tell you not to buy another wall, but you asked for my experience...

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Victim number 1 of the urchin:
This is surprising as I thought that red was cyano but actually it’s the flesh. So this coral is odd as its half green and half red/purple.
64258D96-E4C3-4165-B01A-C626610A3BCE.jpeg

And for you clam loving people, some clam spam ;)
85E72B85-BE06-4349-BB20-41F007CD1F66.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is surprising as I thought that red was cyano but actually it’s the flesh. So this coral is odd as its half green and half red/purple.
64258D96-E4C3-4165-B01A-C626610A3BCE.jpeg

And for you clam loving people, some clam spam ;)
85E72B85-BE06-4349-BB20-41F007CD1F66.jpeg
That is far too common an occurrence for me. Its a daily check to see what snails and corals need to be saved from the urchin.

Attachments

• IMG_4899.jpeg
    IMG_4899.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 34

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's pretty but running off with my corals would drive me nuts!

I had an urchin that hitchhiked on some live rock he started out cute and tiny the size of a pencil eraser but grew and grew then one day it injured my cristata wall colony that I had been growing for years. BJD and poof colony gone. No more urchins for me. Stabby little boogers.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's pretty but running off with my corals would drive me nuts!

I had an urchin that hitchhiked on some live rock he started out cute and tiny the size of a pencil eraser but grew and grew then one day it injured my cristata wall colony that I had been growing for years. BJD and poof colony gone. No more urchins for me. Stabby little boogers.
That’s a shame to hear about your Cristata, not many people know about them and it’s interesting to hear you can get them on that side of the pond.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a shame to hear about your Cristata, not many people know about them and it’s interesting to hear you can get them on that side of the pond.
Thanks. All I could find was a bad phone pic of it, but here it is shortly before I lost it. I think a lot of people mistake them for torches.

11162022.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love some thoughts on this;
A Montipora back wall with branching SPS coming off of the outlet.
Does this sound psychotic or does it sound genuinely like a good idea? I’ve always wanted a ‘living wall’ idea in my nano tank but I don’t really want to do the normal corals that usually get used (GSP and Chalice). And I thought that taking it a step further with the outlet may add more of an attraction to the back wall.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love some thoughts on this;
A Montipora back wall with branching SPS coming off of the outlet.
Does this sound psychotic or does it sound genuinely like a good idea? I’ve always wanted a ‘living wall’ idea in my nano tank but I don’t really want to do the normal corals that usually get used (GSP and Chalice). And I thought that taking it a step further with the outlet may add more of an attraction to the back wall.
Sounds cool! Wasn’t your slimer on the back wall?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool! Wasn’t your slimer on the back wall?
It was but I decided to put it on the rock in this tank, maybe it’ll be on the back wall again. That’s what made me think about trying it again, I just don’t know whether to try it by putting the plugs/coral straight onto the back after cutting the ‘base’ off or whether to start them on rocks like I had the slimer on.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new plan for the wall. It will still be a living wall however with a twist. I believe my SPS dealing LFS has in a Purple Haze Monti (waiting for confirmation from the owner) and the plan is to have a garden of plating monti - the purple haze may make it into the garden as I do love the colours. Then my idea is on the corner where the outlet comes from, I’ll have monti hiding it so when you look from top down it will be a shelf of monti. Then on the back wall I plan for a wall of zoas. And to start this off… my LFS had some stunning blue zoas unlike any I’ve seen before and I couldn’t resist!
C42EE94E-6B8C-4AE7-B826-6F6804237A09.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new plan for the wall. It will still be a living wall however with a twist. I believe my SPS dealing LFS has in a Purple Haze Monti (waiting for confirmation from the owner) and the plan is to have a garden of plating monti - the purple haze may make it into the garden as I do love the colours. Then my idea is on the corner where the outlet comes from, I’ll have monti hiding it so when you look from top down it will be a shelf of monti. Then on the back wall I plan for a wall of zoas. And to start this off… my LFS had some stunning blue zoas unlike any I’ve seen before and I couldn’t resist!
C42EE94E-6B8C-4AE7-B826-6F6804237A09.jpeg
We need pics when those zoas open!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need pics when those zoas open!
Here’s a blue photo I got of them open in the LFS last week.
Although it’s a blue light, the blue of these zoas still shines through!
FEC32729-7679-4DFD-9A7B-F7A1587431B6.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back