Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some glamour pics of the new fish:
IMG_3310.jpeg
IMG_3308.jpeg
Jealous of that melanospilos (No, this isn’t a male caudovittatus, male Caudos have a black splotch on the dorsal). Also the black spot on his stomach is a big differentiator between the two species. I still miss my old girl… Never figured out what she was a hybrid of.
5C2193B6-3D12-421F-AB10-CCB8E5034C5F.jpeg

Last edited:

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota 2.5" Regal and 2" Asfur. The Regal has been in the tank about 3 months and the Asfur about 3 weeks. Both doing well and eating like pigs. 1 day of aggression from the Regal towards the Asfur but they are buddies now. I really appreciate the quality of these angels from Biota. I especially like that Biota keeps there livestock at seawater salinity so acclimation is simplified. Plus Biota always responded within minutes when I asked questions. Top level customer service.

IMG_6502.jpg

IMG_6514.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some glamour pics of the new fish:
IMG_3310.jpeg
IMG_3308.jpeg
@i cant think my uncle in Birmingham claims to have never seen a melanspilos or anything like it and he’s been in the hobby for a decade. Do you see them very often? You obviously had a fairly similar one.

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota 2.5" Regal and 2" Asfur. The Regal has been in the tank about 3 months and the Asfur about 3 weeks. Both doing well and eating like pigs. 1 day of aggression from the Regal towards the Asfur but they are buddies now. I really appreciate the quality of these angels from Biota. I especially like that Biota keeps there livestock at seawater salinity so acclimation is simplified. Plus Biota always responded within minutes when I asked questions. Top level customer service.

IMG_6502.jpg

IMG_6514.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg
I plan on picking up an Asfur and a Harlequin Tusk from them this week. It is a 40-minute drive from my house and they allow local pick-up (to reduce stress). You just can't go inside, they bring it to you.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think my uncle in Birmingham claims to have never seen a melanspilos or anything like it and he’s been in the hobby for a decade. Do you see them very often? You obviously had a fairly similar one.
Yup! Genicanthus melanospilos is the most common Genicanthus over here. Although it’s still a rare fish, they do come in in waves. Mostly we see females and never really mature males (It’s why I jumped onto that one when it appeared). If I ever get a 3rd Angel it will have to be a Genicanthus melanospilos. They’re just too nice to not admire and losing that one wasn’t easy.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a female at Petco for $50 a few months ago. I was busy and have to comeback that afternoon after work and she was gone.
Darn! My LFS had 3 in, the other two females. This one was 100 but it was fat and you don't see males very often.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the second picture. Supposedly these guys love moderate to strong water flow, have you noticed any type of behavior where the fish will position itself at the strongest point of the water current inside the tank?
When I had my guy he definitely did this and just glided along the tank in the high flow (just above the rockwork). They’re incredibly funny fish to watch I know in my LFS I work we have a pair of Caudovittatus (I prefer the female and I’d rather grab her over the male) but I just don’t have the room for a third.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my guy he definitely did this and just glided along the tank in the high flow (just above the rockwork). They’re incredibly funny fish to watch I know in my LFS I work we have a pair of Caudovittatus (I prefer the female and I’d rather grab her over the male) but I just don’t have the room for a third.
That is magnificent, so good water circulation should favor the maintenance of these fish as well as some other angelfishes of course. G.caudovittatus is beautiful, maybe it's time for a bigger tank, lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is magnificent, so good water circulation should favor the maintenance of these fish as well as some other angelfishes of course. G.caudovittatus is beautiful, maybe it's time for a bigger tank, lol.
Yeah haha.
As for the high flow, I’ve noticed Genicanthus species seem to really mess around in it compared to my current two angels (Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens and Pomacanthus navarchus) as these guys just scavenge the rocks almost all day and every so often play in the water column.

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6502.jpg

IMG_6514.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg
I just picked up a Biota Asfur yesterday on my way home from the FLL Airport. They do local pickup. Your Asfur looks much bigger than mine. Mine is barely over an inch.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back