Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
magnesium doesn't work for Bryopsis -- What USED to work for Bryopsis was Kent Tech-M magnesium, it worked because of the LITHIUM. Now that kent has changed the formula, it no longer works, nor does any other MAG supplement -- Because it was never the mag that did the work ;)

So. I used Fluconazole and it worked great -- Until we had a really hot day, then it came back seemingly overnight. Tried Flucon again, worked, until the next hot day... So this time, I'm spot treating with h202, which I know kills bryopsis very well.
There are some sources that says brightwell hydrat mg is effective against bryopsis. There isn't a lot of data out there, but I'm giving it a shot. I guess if you do dose this stuff (tech m) you shouldn't run carbon right? I had some carbon running which might be why I'm not seeimg any results so far.

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/10/27/treating-bryopsis-algae-with-brightwell-aquatics-hydrat-mg/

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some sources that says brightwell hydrat mg is effective against bryopsis. There isn't a lot of data out there, but I'm giving it a shot. I guess if you do dose this stuff (tech m) you shouldn't run carbon right? I had some carbon running which might be why I'm not seeimg any results so far.

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/10/27/treating-bryopsis-algae-with-brightwell-aquatics-hydrat-mg/

Well the new Tech-M doesn't have lithium in it anymore, they changed the formula like 3-4 years ago -- And Carbon doesn't remove Lithium, I believe.

Last edited:

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the new Tech-M doesn't have lithium in it anymore, they changed the formula like 3-4 years ago -- And Carbon doesn't remove Lithium, I believe.
Rakie, how are you planning on doing your h202 treatment. Do you just dose right on the spot of bryopsis? Maybe like 0.5-1ml in the tank. What are the downsides to the coral nearby? If u can pull the rock out can you just dose it out of the tank? How long would you let it sit before putting back in the tank?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be spot treating with a 1ml syringe, nothing too fancy. I'd use about 1ml per patch at the root with flow off for a few minutes while working.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis basically dead, again. I'm dosing some Brightwell Hydrat-MG (lithium) to help kill it off

AAfsdfzzzsdfwerfdewrIMG_0003.jpg

IC - Kaleidoscope. Hard to get a good pic of it.
zzzfhdhsghxahjgvfkhoij497830-2IMG_0011.jpg

Hyacinthus table, with cameo from long cyano strand
654ads9879s%20790%204s96480%206987IMG_0016.jpg

JF Fox Flame, IC kaleidoscope below it, FHC ArchLight behind it, Pinky the Bear to the left of it
079ifgy1bk2elka08tw4giujkv%20hqoijkqrIMG_0012.jpg

RRUSA Diablo -- The eternal encruster...
Ajkaslh%20ijalkjaa4aIMG_0008.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,
Your reef is looking great.

I guess your liking the diffuser?

Thanks, Freddie

Thank you!

Diffuser/Lighting: Absolutely loving the diffuser. So much so, that I literally advocate everybody to either get one, or DIY one for your own LED fixture. My corals finally have adapted to LED, they're regaining color, and sucking up Alk like little sponges.

I increased the lighting intensity 3% (4 watts more power) now that the Fox Flame has gotten used to the lighting. I'll try and raise it another 5% over 2-3 weeks. We'll see how everything handles it.

Alk Problem: I had a dip in Alk from the increased alk Consumption, coupled with a doser head that needed cleaning/relube. Over the last few days I had a daily loss of about 0.3-ish. Over 4 days I found my alk at 6.7 -- increased alk by 5ml, and the next day alk was 6.5! So upped dose, and were back to 7.5 today (a few days later).

Been very busy with class and putting off my testing. I even have two brand new heaters sitting in a box because winter abruptly ended two weeks ago for california lol

Giant Polyclad Worm: I also found one of these suckers. He was a big boy, at almost 1.5cm on the dot. I know they get bigger but I was surprised to see him skulking around the glass today. Out he went.

Next week, I may get a;
- Small Tuxedo urchin
- maybe a small blenny / maybe a small goby
- Maybe some Non-Corals

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,
Thanks for always giving a such detailed response.

With a diffuser plate, you'd think :confused: that you could increase the lights strength :)

I have not dealt with bryopsis in a very long time and I'd rather use the Brightwell Hydrat-MG than the Fluconazole treatment.
That's a great find and thanks for sharing.

I talked to another reefer about IO salt. He says that if you dose 3ml of muriatic acid per 5 gallons of IO, it will drop it's alk to 7.5 dkh.
Probably drop the bottom out of the ph too :eek:, but you'd think o_O it would rebound with oxygen.

Better hit those books ;Bookworm

:)

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a diffuser plate, you'd think :confused: that you could increase the lights strength :)

My lights were 14" above the waterline, I lowered them 4.5" and am now 9.5" off the water, so I figured that might make up for that 20% par loss. But now that things are adjusted I may be able to get them to about 65% or so. Night and day between the G3 and G4 radions. My G3 I ran at 80% no issues whatsoever, the G4 is coral death at 50% 14" off the water. They're no joke at all.

As for alk, the IO wasn't the problem, me being busy/lazy was the problem! That doser head is a different animal after being cleaned up and lubricated. After 5-6 months that white lithium turns into a gunky paste that needs replacement.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights were 14" above the waterline, I lowered them 4.5" and am now 9.5" off the water, so I figured that might make up for that 20% par loss. But now that things are adjusted I may be able to get them to about 65% or so. Night and day between the G3 and G4 radions. My G3 I ran at 80% no issues whatsoever, the G4 is coral death at 50% 14" off the water. They're no joke at all.

As for alk, the IO wasn't the problem, me being busy/lazy was the problem! That doser head is a different animal after being cleaned up and lubricated. After 5-6 months that white lithium turns into a gunky paste that needs replacement.
Sounds good.

I just wanted you to know how to lower IO's high alk while mixing.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis basically dead, again. I'm dosing some Brightwell Hydrat-MG (lithium) to help kill it off

Great fix. Will keep that info for the eventual future.

Thank you!
Next week, I may get a;
- Small Tuxedo urchin
- maybe a small blenny / maybe a small goby
- Maybe some Non-Corals

Your diffuser review triggered to get those, but until now they are no where to be found close to UAE. Bummer.

Lots of "maybe".
Most interested in the Non-corals...

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AAfsdfzzzsdfwerfdewrIMG_0003.jpg

IC - Kaleidoscope. Hard to get a good pic of it.
zzzfhdhsghxahjgvfkhoij497830-2IMG_0011.jpg

Hyacinthus table, with cameo from long cyano strand
654ads9879s%20790%204s96480%206987IMG_0016.jpg

JF Fox Flame, IC kaleidoscope below it, FHC ArchLight behind it, Pinky the Bear to the left of it
079ifgy1bk2elka08tw4giujkv%20hqoijkqrIMG_0012.jpg

RRUSA Diablo -- The eternal encruster...
Ajkaslh%20ijalkjaa4aIMG_0008.jpg
What levels of mg did you go from/to for your bryopsis w hydrat mg? I went from 1400 to 1600, but maybe the bryopsis has slowed, but not dying. Slowly increased the mg over 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fix. Will keep that info for the eventual future.

Your diffuser review triggered to get those, but until now they are no where to be found close to UAE. Bummer.

Lots of "maybe".
Most interested in the Non-corals...

Well, non-corals would be LPS or Softies. I'm just an acro snob :D

What levels of mg did you go from/to for your bryopsis w hydrat mg? I went from 1400 to 1600, but maybe the bryopsis has slowed, but not dying. Slowly increased the mg over 2 weeks.

Fluconazole was used in a 1/2 dose (that's all I had left). The Hydrat-MG just arrived yesterday and I've only dosed once so far. but I'm dosing anyways to help the Flucon finish the job.

Back