The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, really glad I was told about that one!
Well,
After I used up the last of AF Comp 1+ 2+ 3+, I switched the DOS pumps over to Brightwells 2 part and sent Brightwells an email to ask if I could put micro pumps in the dosing holding tanks to keep it mixed up.

Low and behold,
Jack Kent responded back and said he took Brightwells over ;Wideyed

Really didn't get that much out of the Brightwells and that's when I started dosing the Red Sea ABC+ powder with colors C & D.

In my book, those trace elements make a difference than regular two part + mag :)

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, they can. Brightwell just uses various carbonate sources so that you have a stable and potentially better source of Alk (more types of alk broken down into supposedly different sizes / ions making it easier for corals to uptake) -- and Strontium. THey use a lot of strontium.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMGIMGIMGIGMIGMIMGIMG%20%20%20303030300303030330IMG_0003.jpg

It'll be back to normal in about 5-6 weeks. Minus a whole lot of encrusted stuff.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened?

I finally caught THE pest. AEFW. Never had a pest before. It's only been in the tank since the end of January so caught it early.

- Took everything off the rockwork and remounted
- Ground all the encrusted coral off the rock
- Dipped in melafix; Will dip once a week for 5-6 weeks.

So for now, my rockwork is naked, and my encrusted bits have been ground off and rinsed away. Some corals I've lost a lot of, others just a little bit.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dipping for 3 weeks now, not seeing any pests in the dip. So they're micro fresh hatched or I got ahead of it already.

Will continue dipping for 6 weeks total. Half done.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dipping for 3 weeks now, not seeing any pests in the dip. So they're micro fresh hatched or I got ahead of it already.

Will continue dipping for 6 weeks total. Half done.
Rakie,
I lost track of your build :confused:

Really sorry ;Sorry about the pest and hope ;Nailbiting that your on the upswing.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,
I lost track of your build :confused:

Really sorry ;Sorry about the pest and hope ;Nailbiting that your on the upswing.

No worries Freddie.

As for pests? it's all part of the game. It had to happen sooner or later. Luckily I feel pretty confident I'm ahead of the outbreak. So in 3-5 more weeks I should be ready to plant them back onto the rockwork. May add a few extra weeks to be safe.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Drool;Drool;Drool;Drool

Yeah I like the idea too. It'll be made with cut pukani slabs and tonga branch. I've got branch laying around, and my buddy has a few big Pukani pieces I can cut some nice slabs out of.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,
Are you building the shelf that's on post #289?

Something based off that, yeah. I've got midterms so I haven't started yet. My buddy ALSO has to cut me some Pukani slabs. I'll be putting them in muriatic acid to get a jump start on all the organics, then I'll build it, then I'll put it in a sterilite container.

Spring break is next week -- That's when I'll try and accomplish this.

At least the bugs didn't wipe you out completely. Good job battling those littler buggers.

Yep. Got a head start on them. But I couldn't get all the encrusted coral off the rockwork -- So I'm going to remove my rockwork. Gives me a chance to build a better scape anywho so kind of a win/win.

I took a week off on dipping, these corals were starting to look too stressed.. Most advise a dip every 2 weeks anyways, as it takes like 20-30 days for AEFW to hit sexual maturity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the first step, the PVC monstrosity. Which will be covered in cement, or if I get really lazy... JB Water Weld on the visible arms.

Not 100% done. I'm getting sick so there goes enjoying my spring break, and being outside when it's not warm.

Here's the 3 tier structure
IMG_20180323_184817272_HDR01.jpg

Here's the structure from above
IMG_20180323_184812429_HDR01.jpg

Here is a few rocks on it JUST for visual reference -- There will be NO pvc visible after I have enough rock.
IMG_20180323_184705530_HDR.jpg

The rocks will completely cover and extend past the PVC on all 3 levels. That is a 15x15" structure, the rockwork will fill an 18x18" area at LEAST, More likely 20x20"

The rocks will be held on by putty, zip ties, and possibly some concrete. I'm really hoping to make this structure max out my space.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS:
You have end caps on the structure.

Will it sink to the bottom? :confused:

:)

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sick and frustrated. Haven't dipped. Haven't gotten my pukani to cut. Haven't finished gluing or drilling my new structure. I hate being stuck inside, it drives me stir crazy.

And it had to be during the only free time I'll have for 6 months. My only plans were fishing, hiking, being outdoors, and making a rock structure. My dream for this week was literally the opposite of exactly whats happening -- being stuck in my room LOL. Ah well, such is life.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back