RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learn so much in this thread.

Thanks for sharing in detail @Rakie

I can pick apart stuff u post and break it down into comprehendable material for a novice reefer like me to wrap my head around the next level of understanding husbandry of a system.

Cheers

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learn so much in this thread.

Thanks for sharing in detail @Rakie

I can pick apart stuff u post and break it down into comprehendable material for a novice reefer like me to wrap my head around the next level of understanding husbandry of a system.

Cheers

That's what @SneakyTortuga said haha. I always tend to rant about my thoughts on the hobby, nobody wants to hear it as it grates against common opinions, so I've stopped trying to help anybody here. The only thing people want are people to agree with them.

Last attempt helping people was in a thread where a guy did a water change and all his SPS perked up. Turned out he disturbed a bunch of detritus, many of us told him that corals tend to love that, and he basically fed his corals. it turned into him vs everybody ranting about how we don't know anything, it had to have been that he sucked out detritus making the corals happy and nothing else. He then ignored about 20-30 messages until someone said they think it was the detritus. After ignoring almost everybody he glomps onto that dude who thought it was also the detritus, saying he's the only person here who knows what they're talking about.

Hell... One of the reasons I left RC was due to a very well known person there going on a homosexual rant about people who use, wait for it...... LED's. That same person is here, and is local to me, and seems quite mentally unstable to conclude that the type of light you use determines your sexual orientation... But we know he doesn't believe that, he just can't live in a world where he's not absolutely right.

Everybody just wants to be validated. It's made it pretty hard to talk to anybody about anything without them getting hyper defensive, offended, or just upset. That's the state of the hobby. So I pretty much only have my opinions here, and stick to build threads. No more general discussions.

It really bums me out. These types of thoughts are what have taught me since I was a kid in middle school.. Learning bit by bit, taking things this person or that person said, looking at their systems, and connecting the dots to build a common thought and understanding. That's all gone in modern reefing :(

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what @SneakyTortuga said haha. I always tend to rant about my thoughts on the hobby, nobody wants to hear it as it grates against common opinions, so I've stopped trying to help
It really bums me out. These types of thoughts are what have taught me since I was a kid in middle school.. Learning bit by bit, taking things this person or that person said, looking at their systems, and connecting the dots to build a common thought and understanding. That's all gone in modern reefing :(

See in my first year, I have to disagree with you. It's not gone. I have pulled everything i know exactly the same way. Here, fb groups, friends and local reefers also. I have soaked all their success in as well and as their follies.

It has morphed me and groomed me into the level I'm at now, which is still novice by all standards.

I have not ventured onto other forum sections unless I want to start a topic. Or have a question... simply because I do not feel I have the position to give advice that is accurate and correctly given in an individual circumstance or issue someone is facing or discussing.

I browse the topics, but rarely chime in. Just learning as I go.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The information is still there, but often when people ask for help they don't want help, they want people to agree with what they're doing. You can still find information, but there's a lot more fighting than I like. Debate is what I really like, as it brings out the best in peoples knowledge -- Unfortunately most people just seem to take it as fighting now.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The information is still there, but often when people ask for help they don't want help, they want people to agree with what they're doing. You can still find information, but there's a lot more fighting than I like. Debate is what I really like, as it brings out the best in peoples knowledge -- Unfortunately most people just seem to take it as fighting now.

Ah yes. That ugly trait known as pride. Ugly demon.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes. That ugly trait known as pride. Ugly demon.

Yep. Such is the hobby! It's not all that bad I've just let bad experiences ruin too much of the hobby for me lol. I need to figure out how to stop that cycle.

In better news.. I'll probably be picking up the rest of my SPS soon. Probably a few weeks out at most. My bubble algae won't be gone, and it'll take 3-4 weeks for my custom structure (plus I need some sales to afford it).

Although things are looking good.

Perhaps now that I have emeralds, I need to give the rock a good scraping again... Maybe this time they will keep it from growing back quickly. They definitely are making a dent in the population.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Such is the hobby! It's not all that bad I've just let bad experiences ruin too much of the hobby for me lol. I need to figure out how to stop that cycle.

In better news.. I'll probably be picking up the rest of my SPS soon. Probably a few weeks out at most. My bubble algae won't be gone, and it'll take 3-4 weeks for my custom structure (plus I need some sales to afford it).

Although things are looking good.

Perhaps now that I have emeralds, I need to give the rock a good scraping again... Maybe this time they will keep it from growing back quickly. They definitely are making a dent in the population.
My foxface demolished mine. Can u get a juvenile and sell it when it gets too big?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface demolished mine. Can u get a juvenile and sell it when it gets too big?

Probably, but I don't really like doing that. I did however pickup a tiny tomini bristletooth tang, so I'm hoping he does the job or at least helps.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daaannnggg they some mighty fine pieces :D

Thanks much! They aren't all as colorful as they were, they were in some slightly shaded areas but they're going to keep improving steadily, and continue growing once again!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning bit by bit, taking things this person or that person said, looking at their systems, and connecting the dots to build a common thought and understanding. That's all gone in modern reefing :(

Not quite gone!
I love reading your informative posts, I have learn't a few things, all of it makes sense.

Because I don't really test, amongst other things, I avoid levels and nutrients discussions but I do try and offer alternative choices if the person seems to be "open minded" and not just looking for a chemical or mechanical quick fix.
There is a dark undercurrent that will always lurk, it's nice down there by the way, I have also been flamed and banned from a couple of places so now I mostly do as you do, if they think they know better than me now I just let them go on their merry deluded way! :)

I don't do forum drama anymore. ;)

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they think they know better than me now I just let them go on their merry deluded way! :)

I don't do forum drama anymore. ;)

Yep! It's unfortunate but not all people want help. I can understand, to be fair I've heard some advise so bad it made me wonder how they've been keeping anything Live for years Lol.

So another picture of the good stuff at a friend's. He won't be around this weekend so either next weekend or later for the pickup. In the mean time they're happy and doing well. I was nervous they wouldn't like his low nutrients but he's risen them lately so it wasn't hard on them.

Just a cell pic so it's a tad blue, just how @bubbaque likes it

54b08b5e5e1a19b3e9e17537e1952835.jpg

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... First day corals are back, time for some pictures!

Some pictures taken under 14k, some under 16k

c8f8d4e8-84cf-4ce3-8e7f-85ef45a92199-original.jpg

40281217-818c-48ff-9236-48390ac8e525-original.jpg

82dfeec7-9bb3-419e-b269-f2af37afb660-original.jpg

6781afe9-7990-4281-8d78-1312d7dd890c-original.jpg

329fb9f7-668f-4fb7-b84c-379172329880-original.jpg

4ffa6e16-f0f3-41db-ab35-9c461b920e10-original.jpg

596de97d-004b-4fd6-a147-d5dc1a8ca2dc-original.jpg

99e5ae58-593a-4e57-9dd4-cb9cb677a585-original.jpg

9d509b3d-a337-441b-b81b-d5bdb14f9a84-original.jpg

This one is a serious gem, needs a little coloring to hit it's potential but under blues it's a crazy mix of colors
3b57200d-6ad1-4bde-8bc6-324db15b2066-original.jpg

a87d4c5e-c50b-4925-9e03-07ea26c8fa59-original.jpg

78fbb1e9-286d-4963-95f2-f685a88d728a-original.jpg

d3aa24f9-bbba-4161-af37-655c245193bc-original.jpg

168a4e2a-323a-4c02-b67d-4b4bca72f934-original.jpg

c38cb17c-2b62-410d-a892-42ce14b09b78-original.jpg

Bad picture... This one is sweet, but didn't come out great, a little too dark.
6e2a34e7-177f-4624-a3d5-63185ccb3ba0-original.jpg

Gorgeous as always...

Have u ever come across these acans in your travels? These came out of a 15year old reef in Florida. A few months ago.

FB_IMG_1555986732627.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous as always...

Have u ever come across these acans in your travels? These came out of a 15year old reef in Florida. A few months ago.

Nope, those are pretty different. I'd guess like the "Black Sabbath" it's actually a deep purple (no music pun intended). But if you have them I'll buy some, or trade you high end acans for them lol.

That open they actually looked like zoas at first, then blastos especially since so many acans have clear/white uh... tendrils I guess I'll call them haha.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, those are pretty different. I'd guess like the "Black Sabbath" it's actually a deep purple (no music pun intended). But if you have them I'll buy some, or trade you high end acans for them lol.

That open they actually looked like zoas at first, then blastos especially since so many acans have clear/white uh... tendrils I guess I'll call them haha.
Tendrils is a good choice of words. Hehe.

It's definitely acan when u see the side shots. This isnt my pic. A guy shared them of a fb group I follow for reefing. No one else had seen them in that group either. Which is 65k worldwide members.

Ya you and every other person who saw them wants to buy some too. Ha

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tendrils is a good choice of words. Hehe.

It's definitely acan when u see the side shots. This isnt my pic. A guy shared them of a fb group I follow for reefing. No one else had seen them in that group either. Which is 65k worldwide members.

Ya you and every other person who saw them wants to buy some too. Ha
I was wrong a club member has them! So I'll be getting some when I visit with a coral saw

These are his in his tank. L

dbf476e1aa4b977b571d176cb5df7521.jpg

This is what his look like closed -- now you can find them!

22df6dd2fd6105a65cd1360fff57ac7a.jpg

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wrong a club member has them! So I'll be getting some when I visit with a coral saw

These are his in his tank. L

dbf476e1aa4b977b571d176cb5df7521.jpg

This is what his look like closed -- now you can find them!

22df6dd2fd6105a65cd1360fff57ac7a.jpg
homerdrool.gif

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back