The Hermit and Wife's Ocean

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. +tagging long.

Curious question since you have the Red Sea Max E-170 - Does the E-170 not have the optional to install a sump? Did you installed one?

What made you decide to go with a Reefer this time around instead another Read Sea Max?

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. +tagging long.

Curious question since you have the Red Sea Max E-170 - Does the E-170 not have the optional to install a sump? Did you installed one?

It does, and I did not install it. When I first got my tank it wasn't available and by the time it was available I wanted to go bigger and with totally different equipment.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. I can understand that.

Having a chance to go nano this time around, I am considering something for my teen could potentially managed, something simple and of quality build and look with option for upgrade later on if needed. Max E seems to fit that bill. I do understand the potential constraints with something like that though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Apex NSI ATO kit in today and got everything setup. It was a breeze to use the ATO task wizard. The only moment of doubt was what to do with the EB823 port for the power to the FMM (Always On in case you were wondering).

Here is a picture of the Kit (I got an extra optical sensor and a leak detection sensor)
IMG_0566.JPG

Below are a couple of pictures of the mount with the optical sensors and float sensor in the tank. I had a hard time getting the magnet in place between the cabinet wall and the edge of the sump. It's got a nice rubberized pad on it that stuck it as I was sliding it between the cabinet and sump. I was surprised how sturdy it felt once in position because of that pad. I still need to remove the red sea ATO float... and that startup sand debris...
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG

Here is the ATO FMM with its buddy that monitors the flow to my three rreactors and from the return pump.
IMG_0569.JPG

Here is the PMUP in my Trigger ATO reservoir. I ordered a 1 link extension for the PMUP. I was able to get it to reach; however, I didn't have the slack I really wanted in the line.
IMG_0570.JPG

I overfilled my sump with some water to make sure the entire float was submerged. I wanted to ensure it would stay in place with the float fully underwater, and it does! So it will be a bit before the pump should need to kick on.

The setup in fusion went exactly as they said it would, so nothing to talk about there. I'll post more once I've had more time to play with it.

Overall, I'm more satisfied with this than my SmartATO on the other tank so far.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got my Apex NSI ATO kit in today and got everything setup. It was a breeze to use the ATO task wizard. The only moment of doubt was what to do with the EB823 port for the power to the FMM (Always On in case you were wondering).

Here is a picture of the Kit (I got an extra optical sensor and a leak detection sensor)
IMG_0566.JPG

Below are a couple of pictures of the mount with the optical sensors and float sensor in the tank. I had a hard time getting the magnet in place between the cabinet wall and the edge of the sump. It's got a nice rubberized pad on it that stuck it as I was sliding it between the cabinet and sump. I was surprised how sturdy it felt once in position because of that pad. I still need to remove the red sea ATO float... and that startup sand debris...
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG

Here is the ATO FMM with its buddy that monitors the flow to my three rreactors and from the return pump.
IMG_0569.JPG

Here is the PMUP in my Trigger ATO reservoir. I ordered a 1 link extension for the PMUP. I was able to get it to reach; however, I didn't have the slack I really wanted in the line.
IMG_0570.JPG

I overfilled my sump with some water to make sure the entire float was submerged. I wanted to ensure it would stay in place with the float fully underwater, and it does! So it will be a bit before the pump should need to kick on.

The setup in fusion went exactly as they said it would, so nothing to talk about there. I'll post more once I've had more time to play with it.

Overall, I'm more satisfied with this than my SmartATO on the other tank so far.
Cool toy! I got all excited and went hunting for this and then realized that you're in the NSI program. LOL Oh well, hopefully it will be available to the rest of us soon enough. :)

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I got my Top Shelf Aquatics Loc-Line Adapter Nozzle Kit. It was packaged well and was pretty easy to put together once I muscled the flare nozzles onto the loc-line. I'm really happy with this providing a good way to get flow down behind my rocks, and stop all the sand from running away from the front of my tank. The WAVs plus the return were causing swirly pockets.

The Kit:
IMG_0573.JPG

Front View:
IMG_0576.JPG

Top View:
IMG_0578.JPG

marito09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we've picked out the rock design
IMG_0512.JPG

And the FMK is here!!! Time to get the plumbing done and get water in this awesome tank!

IMG_0517.JPG
I totally want to do hard plumbing to my return on my Reefer 250 to the the FMK and monitor flow... I think is great!!! I am just not familiar at all with all that plumbing or What I need for the fmk to fit from the pump to the return line ... is it the same thing for the 450 to the 250 if so what parts do I need besides the fmk. Thanks and great looking build !!!

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally want to do hard plumbing to my return on my Reefer 250 to the the FMK and monitor flow... I think is great!!! I am just not familiar at all with all that plumbing or What I need for the fmk to fit from the pump to the return line ... is it the same thing for the 450 to the 250 if so what parts do I need besides the fmk. Thanks and great looking build !!!

I copied my design from broadfields. The fmk everything you need except for some pipe thread paste. You just connect your hard plumbing into each side with pipe sealant (cement). Don't fret the hard plumbing this was my first attempt as well. Tons of good videos on you tube.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today was the last day of the Red Sea Reef Mature, and I was pleased with the outcome. I'm also very jubilant with the Neptune ATK ATO system. It's been spot on, and it's nice to be able to tell it's working when you are not home on the mobile app or website. I see the need for a check valve on my main return because turning off the return pump pulls too much water into the sump, so I've got that on order.

I've had a lawnmower blenny in QT, but he's not been eating the seaweed I had for him. He's been swimming and super happy so... I put him in the big tank. He's already been going after the few diatoms on the sand. He finished him preventative Ich treatment in QT, although he never showed signs of anything. I was planning to move over some fish from our smaller aquarium in the back, but I'm going to hold off until the blenny has gotten settled in a bit more.

IMG_0584.jpg

Here is "Mowie" as the wife calls him.

The cleanup crew had the glass pretty clean, and now that I'm cleaning it with the Flipper, they've taken more to the sand and rocks! I think this is great, and I'm super happy with the job they are doing in the tank. I'll do a full test suite on the tank tomorrow, and see if we are ready for some soft coral as the reef mature program suggests.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some Chaetomorpha to the refugium area tonight and a nice eShopps Curve light to get it started growing. I've heard a few people say good things about the right, and I loved how it mounted right on the reefdreams baffle.

IMG_0606.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a great time at the MTRC Frag swap today. I had reached out to Jason Fox to bring me a couple of pieces, and he did! I snagged a Midnight Dynamite Montipora and a Purple Cap. We also got a Maxima Clam that the wife spotted. We won some Continuum Trace Elements, and bought some pods and Phytoplankton.

Midnight Dynamite
IMG_0610.JPG

Maxima Clam
IMG_0612.JPG

Purple Cap
IMG_0617.JPG

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread... Very informative... One quick question ... Did you use the reservoir with your new ATO ? Also any particular reason for not using the Red Sea ATO ?

Thanks.

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skipped the Red Sea ATO, because I go through more water than that in just a couple of days. I have an external reservoir that holds 5 gallons (and I'm on the prowl for a 10 gal one). This makes it easier on whomever is watching my tanks when I travel. I also wanted more safeguards and control than the red sea built in solution offered me.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are progressing along, yesterday I got switched from the Apex ATK (ATO) connected group to the standalone group (not using the apex to control it). It's still working wonderfully. I also added two more pieces of coral last Sunday. A nice open brain coral:
IMG_0651.JPG

and lovely fat tentacled torch:
IMG_0653.JPG

I've also been working hard to dial in my return flow, and it currently looks like:
ph-flow.png

With a total return flow of 536GPH and 95GPH of that going through my carbon reactor. That's roughly 441GPH of flow to the display tank, which is right at my desired target of 4.5X of water volume to display and 1X through carbon. This seems to be working really well when combined with the WAV pumps in the display. I'm very happy that I changed VarioS6 with the VarioS8 pump as I'm only running at 70% on the VarioS8 and I was already at max on VarioS6 to get to this point. I'm certain that I over did it with the triple manifold at this point (not sure I'll need GFO or bio-pellets at this point). Also, I'm starting to see my refugium make a difference in my overnight PH! I'm definitely seeing great growth in my Cheato and Dragon's Breath down there.

Current FTS:
IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skipped the Red Sea ATO, because I go through more water than that in just a couple of days. I have an external reservoir that holds 5 gallons (and I'm on the prowl for a 10 gal one). This makes it easier on whomever is watching my tanks when I travel. I also wanted more safeguards and control than the red sea built in solution offered me.

Let me know if you want a new container I can send you the email of the guy you made mine. It is nicely built and reasonably priced. He can build you any dimensions that you want.

Tank is looking great, do you have any pictures further back showing the light?

rerana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much evaporation are you going through?

I want to have a 10+ gallon ATO reservoir as well.

Great setup by the way!

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if you want a new container I can send you the email of the guy you made mine. It is nicely built and reasonably priced. He can build you any dimensions that you want.

Tank is looking great, do you have any pictures further back showing the light?
I'd love to get the contact info. I'm using a trigger systems 5Gal, but I'd really like to have a 10 gallon with a mount for my pump and optical sensor inside. It's still sleepy time in my reef, but I'll snap you a picture a bit later today when everything is lit up with the lights in it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back