The House just passed a bill that would possibly effect our hobby

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently the House just passed a bill that would put in the hands of a few what animals can come into the USA or not. This possibly will affect our hobbies and even jobs in the industry. For sure it would increase prices for corals and fish. It not only affects our hobby but also reptiles, frogs, spiders, snakes. I think they only left dogs and cats off the table. This bill need to go to Senate and pass then it would be signed in by the president. We need you to contact your Senators and tell them vote no. Please share this. In comments I will put a web site that has more info. Thanks.
Sample letter (also lots of Talking Points below)
I implore you to stop the Lacey Act amendments found in the America COMPETES Act (Section 71102) as your constituent, dedicated advocate for ecological conservation, and pet owner. The lack of forethought involved makes these amendments rife with unintended consequences and government overreach.
Not only would these amendments be devastating to thousands of businesses of all sizes (which is absolutely contrary to the purpose of the COMPETES Act), but millions of pet owners would be harmed. As seen previously when listing species as injurious under the Lacey Act, a heavy-handed brush is used to paint species as injurious that may only be an issue for one or two states, and hardly any large percentage of the U.S. While a concern for only one state, all other states feel the unjust implications and restrictions. For example, even after Florida had addressed injurious threats from certain snakes, the federal government still listed them as injurious and harmed thousands of owners and businesses across the U.S. where the snakes could not possibly have an impact. And now, while Florida has completely banned these species, herpetoculturists in all other states would suffer from the overreaching government action should these amendments pass into law. Even though peer-reviewed science found that these species risks to the continental U.S. were isolated to southern Florida and possibly a small spot in Texas (both states that had already regulated these species), the federal government felt compelled to take tyrannical action.
If these amendments pass, the Lacey Act will leave pet owners everywhere unable to move across state lines with their family pets. This restriction would include prohibitions of interstate travel for veterinary care, for educational programs, and for relocation of family. The impact will be disproportionately felt by military service members, who are often relocated multiple times during a pet’s lifetime.
The federal and appellate courts have already decided that a ban on interstate transportation with injurious species is not based on the original intent of Congress, but a gradual overreach by the federal agency. This upholds that banning interstate transportation is overreaching and that only the localities, or states, with legitimate range matches should consider regulations regarding these species. Incorporating interstate movements into the Lacey Act will turn law-abiding pet owners into potential criminals.
Regulation of wildlife has traditionally been a matter reserved to the states. State borders are already secure from injurious and invasive species as those states have the authority to regulate them. States continue to take measures regarding such species and since the climate varies so greatly across the U.S., the states should decide which species need to be addressed, not the federal government which must consider the entirety of the U.S. as only one climate zone. I cannot elaborate enough on the need to regulate injurious species at the state and local levels, not nationwide by a federal agency.
The interstate transport ban under the Lacey Act is not my only concern. The bill’s section titled Presumptive Prohibition on Importation is especially alarming. This section would allow for every non-native species to be treated as injurious, even if not listed as such. This language creates a white list (accepted) that produces a black list (banned) by default. The opportunity for injustice and oppressiveness is disturbing!
Rather than this new knee-jerk and supreme authority provided to the federal agency, any expansion of the Lacey Act to create interstate movement bans and a ‘white list/black list’ scenario should include reforms to the injurious listing process, including proof of widespread impact based on sound, peer-reviewed science, and definitely not the biased, pseudo-science witnessed previously. I also believe that the role of the States should be preserved in matters related to the regulation of wildlife within their borders or through regional agreements. Individual states are best positioned to assess local threats and balance the relative costs and benefits of prohibiting species.
These Lacey Act amendments are far-reaching and, frankly, un-American. Please realize that the Lacey Act amendments found within the America COMPETES Act are illogical and unjust. Thank you for your time and consideration on this matter. Have a good day.
Sincerely,
[YOUR NAME]
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Talking Points
  1. These amendments will be devastating to thousands of businesses of all sizes, which is absolutely contrary to the purpose of the COMPETES Act.
  2. Millions of pet owners will be harmed by this misuse of the Lacey Act.
  3. As seen previously when listing species as injurious under the Lacey Act, a heavy-handed brush is used to paint species as injurious that may only be an issue for one or two states, and hardly any large percentage of the U.S.
  4. If one state has a threat, that state can address it. All other states should not suffer the unjust implications and restrictions.
  5. The lack of forethought involved makes these amendments rife with unintended consequences and government overreach.
  6. Peer-reviewed science has been previously ignored in favor of garbage pseudo-science to artificially validate biased injurious species listings.
  7. If these amendments pass, the Lacey Act will leave pet owners everywhere unable to move across state lines with their family pets.
  8. This restriction would include prohibitions on interstate travel for veterinary care, for educational programs, and for relocation of family.
  9. The impact will be disproportionately felt by military service members, who are often relocated multiple times during a pet’s lifetime.
  10. The federal and appellate courts have already decided that a ban on interstate transportation with injurious species is not based on the original intent of Congress, but a gradual overreach by the federal agency.
  11. The Court ruling upheld that banning interstate transportation is overreaching and that only the localities, or states, with legitimate range matches should consider regulations regarding these species.
  12. Incorporating interstate movements into the Lacey Act will turn law-abiding pet owners into potential criminals.
  13. Regulation of wildlife has traditionally been a matter reserved to the states.
  14. State borders are already secure from injurious and invasive species as those states have the authority to regulate them.
  15. The states should decide which species need to be addressed, not the federal government which must consider the entirety of the U.S. as only one climate zone.
  16. The opportunity for injustice and oppressiveness from this power grab is disturbing.
  17. Rather than this new knee-jerk and supreme authority provided to the federal agency, any expansion of the Lacey Act to create interstate movement bans and a ‘white list/black list’ scenario should include reforms to the injurious listing process, including proof of widespread impact based on sound, peer-reviewed science, and definitely not the biased, pseudo-science witnessed previously.
  18. The role of the state wildlife agencies should be preserved in matters related to the regulation of wildlife within their borders or through regional agreements.
  19. Individual states are best positioned to assess local threats and balance the relative costs and benefits of prohibiting species.
  20. These Lacey Act amendments are far-reaching and, frankly, un-American.
  21. Please realize that the Lacey Act amendments found within the America COMPETES Act are illogical and unjust.
  22. The aquaculture industry alone anticipates losses of nearly half a billion dollars.

OP
OP
MinnieMouse2

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kakaw! Politics. Kakaw! Politics. I come her to talk reef and tanks and try and help each other... not this... the pictures are kool and inspirational too... lol!
D

OP
OP
MinnieMouse2

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby will never die it will just get more and more expensive
More expensive means less people in the hobby. Gets much more expensive and only the rich will have their tanks. Already people are closing tanks due to costs they can not afford. It means having a lot less in a hobby already under pressure. Aqua culture is still in infancy. Biota and Ora often are out of things. We are still not up to supply standards in aqua culture.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means having a lot less in a hobby already under pressure.
Under pressure how? The hobby has seen unprecedented growth recently. It's not the end of the world and I seriously doubt this law is going to matter to any of the pet hobbies especially since it isn't targeting said hobbies. It's vague and hard to enforce.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some very good reasons to restrict and regulate: A rise in invasives from hobbyist releases, venomous organisms, and animals with vanishingly small success rates. Oh, and coral reefs pretty much all being in decline. How about linking the actual proposed legislation instead of a vested interest and letting folks exercise their critical thinking skills?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill most likely dies in the senate, then heads into negotiation where some things might get added or dropped.
Best thing I can suggest is to reach out to your local senator and voice your opinion. Maybe ask them where they stand on it.

corey

OP
OP
MinnieMouse2

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to be educated about things, and keep your ear to the ground before beaurocrats , and politicians who love to get press over political correct decisions actually vote on something. If you wait until after they will never backtrack. I am not making any statement regarding this situation but will tell you what happened here in Canada. The veterinarians lobbied the Government to have all medications taken off the LFS shelves to prevent abuse of said " Drugs ". Now I cannot buy an antibiotic to treat my fish or any other treatment. Why? Pure greed by the Veterinarians who want to charge more money for same product. I lost 14 of my fish to Malawi bloat because of them. So lets not argue amongst ourselves just deal with facts without insults. Educate others if you have the facts in hand

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Better to be educated about things, and keep your ear to the ground before beaurocrats , and politicians who love to get press over political correct decisions actually vote on something. If you wait until after they will never backtrack. I am not making any statement regarding this situation but will tell you what happened here in Canada. The veterinarians lobbied the Government to have all medications taken off the LFS shelves to prevent abuse of said " Drugs ". Now I cannot buy an antibiotic to treat my fish or any other treatment. Why? Pure greed by the Veterinarians who want to charge more money for same product. I lost 14 of my fish to Malawi bloat because of them. So lets not argue amongst ourselves just deal with facts without insults. Educate others if you have the facts in hand

This is one thread with more discussion. I have no issue with this being discussed, but there’s starting to become almost as many threads on this as there are ‘am I cycled?’.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back